Withdraw or Stick with course? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CeRePa

New

Withdraw or Stick with course?

Post by CeRePa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:30 am

Last edited by CeRePa on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Withdraw or Stick with course?

Post by Rigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:18 am

lol
If you enjoy it, stick with it. If not, then drop I guess? .01 isn't significant when you're below most medians anyways.

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:25 am

CeRePa wrote:Taking a Mock Trial course but if I stay in it my GPA will probably drop from a 3.5 to a 3.49. Also want to apply to law school in fall...what should I do. (URM if that makes difference in decision)
Lol

CeRePa

New

Post by CeRePa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:27 am

Pretty sure gpa means more for an urm applicant, don't know whats so funny

CeRePa

New

Post by CeRePa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:45 am

Real help would be appreciated. Or move this thread to URM forum

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:02 pm

You're considering withdrawing over a possible .01 drop. That's what's funny. If you enjoy the class, stick with it. Maybe you'll do better in it than you expect.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:04 pm

CeRePa wrote:Pretty sure gpa means more for an urm applicant, don't know whats so funny
If anything, gpa probably means less for a urm applicant. But that's beside the point, because that .01 means nothing.

CeRePa

New

Post by CeRePa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Last edited by CeRePa on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 pm

So... drop? Sorry we're not as vested in your decision as you are.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CeRePa

New

Post by CeRePa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 pm

pancakes3 wrote:So... drop? Sorry we're not as vested in your decision as you are.
I'm sorry, I thought the purpose of this forum was to help law school applicants.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Friend, the issue is that it just isn't statistically significant in this case, and mylsn simply doesn't have enough data to be able to genuinely differentiate between those two.

If anything, these results show that there isn't a measurable difference. For example, just take the top 5: for Yale, Stanford, Columbia and Chicago, it makes it look as though having a 3.49 is objectively better: the acceptance rates are higher! Going off of these data, you should take the class and intentionally lower your GPA. Obviously, that would be the wrong approach.

The difference between these GPAs is so insignificant that it's honestly true that, if this is all that's at stake, you should take the class you want.

Now that being said, is that what's at stake? What I mean is, if you drop this class, do you have a chance to RAISE your GPA? That would change things. If we're only talking about a .01 though, the previous posters are 100% correct, brother.

EDIT: I misread those percentages a bit, so my earlier statements to do with them aren't accurate, but the point still stands, man. It's just not statistically significant enough to show a clearly definable difference. It's your call, though! If I were in your shoes applying again, I personally would not sweat that difference, even with top-school goals.

CeRePa

New

Post by CeRePa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:38 pm

zhenders wrote:Friend, the issue is that it just isn't statistically significant in this case, and mylsn simply doesn't have enough data to be able to genuinely differentiate between those two.

If anything, these results show that there isn't a measurable difference. For example, just take the top 5: for Yale, Stanford, Columbia and Chicago, it makes it look as though having a 3.49 is objectively better: the acceptance rates are higher! Going off of these data, you should take the class and intentionally lower your GPA. Obviously, that would be the wrong approach.

The difference between these GPAs is so insignificant that it's honestly true that, if this is all that's at stake, you should take the class you want.

Now that being said, is that what's at stake? What I mean is, if you drop this class, do you have a chance to RAISE your GPA? That would change things. If we're only talking about a .01 though, the previous posters are 100% correct, brother.

EDIT: I misread those percentages a bit, so my earlier statements to do with them aren't accurate, but the point still stands, man. It's just not statistically significant enough to show a clearly definable difference. It's your call, though! If I were in your shoes applying again, I personally would not sweat that difference, even with top-school goals.
Ok, thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”