Should I apply this fall or wait a while? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
somelshopeful

New

Should I apply this fall or wait a while?

Post by somelshopeful » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:32 am

Hi all - I just finished my junior year at a top UG and I'm trying to create a game plan.
URM with 3.2 GPA. Because of this, I know 170+ LSAT is crucial to my potential success. I plan to just apply T14 and see what pans out.

However:
1. I am young for my grade. This makes me both want to just get law school over with, since I'd be done in three years, and still be younger than everyone, but also makes me want to take some time to work post-grad to see what life is like as an adult. My worry is that once I stop going to school I'll be tempted to never return...
2. If I DO decide to work, should I try to be in a law firm or get some legal experience? Or can I do anything and still apply?
3. I plan on taking the October LSAT regardless. If I get below my target score, should I put off applications for this fall? If I do hit the 170 range should I retake anyway? (ie to get a 176 vs 172)

Any other tips/advice would be much appreciated!

Big Red

Gold

Re: Should I apply this fall or wait a while?

Post by Big Red » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 am

Focus on the LSAT right now and worry about everything else after (Except letters of rec - GET THOSE NOW)

I tell everyone considering LS to take a gap year, and you really should at least consider it. Plenty of threads on TLS as to why that's a good thing.

Good luck

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:37 am

Work experience is the best thing for you, I believe. A couple years of work experience will benefit you in a number of ways. It will make you more attractive to potential employers at OCI, it will distance you from your gpa, give you more material for an interesting personal statement, and if you work in a law firm (good plan) then you will know much better whether or not law is even a desirable career path for you.

I'd say definitely plan on getting some work experience between UG and LS. You'll also have more time to prepare for the lsat and make sure that you get up into the range you're looking for.

somelshopeful

New

Post by somelshopeful » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 am

RE: LOR
What do I say? "I plan on applying to law school anywhere between the next three months - two years, could I have a letter?" Or just get one and save it?

And as far as work goes, I know I can get a fairly decent living wage if I work at a good law firm in a major city as an assistant or something, but should I value that more than a job opportunity in finance/consulting?

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:50 am

somelshopeful wrote:RE: LOR
What do I say? "I plan on applying to law school anywhere between the next three months - two years, could I have a letter?" Or just get one and save it?

And as far as work goes, I know I can get a fairly decent living wage if I work at a good law firm in a major city as an assistant or something, but should I value that more than a job opportunity in finance/consulting?
Nah. If you can do finance/consulting...do finance/consulting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”