International Students 2015/2016 cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
galeatus

Silver

Re: International Students 2015/2016 cycle

Post by galeatus » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Checking in as well.

Transcript eval underway but most likely Above Average.
Chinese citizen, have been studying in Britain for the past 6 years.

On the brink of mental breakdown due to LSAT score anxiety.

yiyiyaya0627

New

Post by yiyiyaya0627 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:21 pm

So glad to find a thread for internationals! :) checking in
Last edited by yiyiyaya0627 on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:16 am

Checking in guys!

Excited for this cycle! Hope to see many acceptance posts from international applicants in the next few months to come!
Last edited by LetsGoNow on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:26 am

magic wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:Foreign Ugrad, Above Average, 180 LSAT checking in. Hoping things go as well as they might; last years' results suggest I may have a strong shot at H on down.
Your username is ON POINT because your LSAT score = GOALS!!! <3 How (& how long) did you study for the LSAT and when did you take it? :)
Curious as well. 180 is beyond awesome! With that score, I don't see why Yale or Stanford shouldn't be within reasonable grabs (though Harvard is much more probable). Though it can't be proven, I don't think the difference between a Superior and AA really makes that much of a difference (I could be wrong). So 180 should mean you're a strong candidate at any law school, hands down! Congrats!

scone

Bronze

Post by scone » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:54 pm

mamsiey wrote:
Would it be worth porting this thread to the Acceptances, Denials, Waitlists etc. forum, & renaming it "International Students c/o 2019" in line with the other applicant threads? It seems a bit out of the way here. Also, it would be great if OP could populate the OP with information from previous years, just to make this topic a bit more helpful to newcomers.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alice1990

New

Post by alice1990 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:46 pm

Hello guys, I'm checking in as well! :D So happy I found this forum, I couldn't really find too much info on the internet re: international applicants!

I took the LSAT in October and got a 173, still waiting on LSAC to evaluate my UGPA and GGPA though mehhhhh

Has anyone in this cycle already submitted their applications/heard anything from the schools? Good luck to everyone!

togoornottogo

New

Post by togoornottogo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:27 pm

I applied yesterday to H and down through the T14. 174/3.4, will let you know how things develop. Expecting Duke soon as I am in their PT program.

alice1990

New

Post by alice1990 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:29 pm

togoornottogo wrote:I applied yesterday to H and down through the T14. 174/3.4, will let you know how things develop. Expecting Duke soon as I am in their PT program.
Good luck!! :D

togoornottogo

New

Post by togoornottogo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:26 pm

alice1990 wrote:
togoornottogo wrote:I applied yesterday to H and down through the T14. 174/3.4, will let you know how things develop. Expecting Duke soon as I am in their PT program.
Good luck!! :D
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Got in to Duke via PT a few days ago with slightly lower numbers in both, im a black male canadian so idk how much thats worth to you gl though :).

LifeGoals

New

Post by LifeGoals » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:07 am

zty wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:Foreign Ugrad, Above Average, 180 LSAT checking in. Hoping things go as well as they might; last years' results suggest I may have a strong shot at H on down.
Amazing, how did you make it? Are you a native English speaker?
I am a native English speaker, so I can't really give any help in that regard, but I will say I took so much logic in undergrad and read enough in English that it wasn't too bad.

LifeGoals

New

Post by LifeGoals » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:09 am

LetsGoNow wrote:
magic wrote:
Your username is ON POINT because your LSAT score = GOALS!!! <3 How (& how long) did you study for the LSAT and when did you take it? :)
Curious as well. 180 is beyond awesome! With that score, I don't see why Yale or Stanford shouldn't be within reasonable grabs (though Harvard is much more probable). Though it can't be proven, I don't think the difference between a Superior and AA really makes that much of a difference (I could be wrong). So 180 should mean you're a strong candidate at any law school, hands down! Congrats!
Yale and Stanford *may* be possible, they accept a tiny number of Internationals per year, but I honestly think I'd probably be just as happy at H. So, while they'll all get applications, H is my big goal school. Now, Y would advantage me in some important respects, but I'm not sure I have the softs to be an International at Y, even with a 180.

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:08 pm

LifeGoals wrote:
LetsGoNow wrote:
magic wrote:
Yale and Stanford *may* be possible, they accept a tiny number of Internationals per year, but I honestly think I'd probably be just as happy at H. So, while they'll all get applications, H is my big goal school. Now, Y would advantage me in some important respects, but I'm not sure I have the softs to be an International at Y, even with a 180.
Fair point. I guess H is where the numbers predictability stops. Y and S is a black box (though stats certainly play a huge role) even for above median stats. Besides, H has at least as much prestige, alumni network, and employment opportunities as the two schools do. In fact, I could argue that outside the U.S., H's might give you a slight edge over both.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alice1990

New

Post by alice1990 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:28 pm

hey peeps, I was reading on the Duke admission thread that one or two international applicants (I'm thinking they might be active here too?) solicited a Priority Track application and fee waiver from the school.

If you are reading this - did you manage? and how did you go about it? I'm thinking about writing the dean tomorrow but I wanna make sure I don't overstep. Thank you!!

CharlesS

New

Post by CharlesS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:39 am

Checking in.

178/Above average. 4 years solid WE as a foreign lawyer.

I just applied to Harvard, Columbia and NYU. With my AA evaluation, I thought my chance at Y and S was extremely slim. Now I'm a little unsure. Can anybody offer some advice?

There should be a lot of international applicants each year, so I think this thread should be more popular than it is now.

Aragorn

New

Post by Aragorn » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:54 am

Completely forgot to check in here!

176/Superior, Master's and 2yrs WE.

Applied to H (interview), S and Columbia (interview).

So far accepted at HLS and likely to go there with financial support from my company at home (Europe).

Happy to help with questions, interview prep and whatnot!

Aragorn

New

Post by Aragorn » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:55 am

scone wrote:
mamsiey wrote:
Would it be worth porting this thread to the Acceptances, Denials, Waitlists etc. forum, & renaming it "International Students c/o 2019" in line with the other applicant threads? It seems a bit out of the way here. Also, it would be great if OP could populate the OP with information from previous years, just to make this topic a bit more helpful to newcomers.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Agreed, is the OP still active? Can we get a mod to transfer ownership otherwise?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LetsGoNow

New

Post by LetsGoNow » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:19 pm

CharlesS wrote:Checking in.

I just applied to Harvard, Columbia and NYU. With my AA evaluation, I thought my chance at Y and S was extremely slim. Now I'm a little unsure. Can anybody offer some advice?

There should be a lot of international applicants each year, so I think this thread should be more popular than it is now.
If Y and S are both among your top schools, I'd say you should apply. I think you have a good chance at both, especially with your work experience. However, I would assume you would get into all of HCN, so if those three are your top choices, I think you are safe.

CharlesS

New

Post by CharlesS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:32 pm

LetsGoNow wrote:
CharlesS wrote:Checking in.

If Y and S are both among your top schools, I'd say you should apply. I think you have a good chance at both, especially with your work experience. However, I would assume you would get into all of HCN, so if those three are your top choices, I think you are safe.
Thanks so much for your advice! God I hope what you said about me getting into all of HCN will be true!

Margaret99

New

Post by Margaret99 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:21 pm

I don't understand how to rate a undergrad university/college in India. I am from a college under Mumbai university, so what is it? AA, superior, etc.??

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Margaret99 wrote:I don't understand how to rate a undergrad university/college in India. I am from a college under Mumbai university, so what is it? AA, superior, etc.??
The rating is not of your university, but of the marks you earned there. And nobody is interested in how you rate anything; what matters is how ACCRAO rates your undergraduate records.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:53 am

Hello everyone,

I am from India and am considering going for a JD program (from hopefully a T-14) starting fall 2017. I have done a good amount of research online over the last few weeks and have started prepping for the June LSAT (not in the right earnest yet). Would love your inputs on a few queries, which follow my background given below.

I would be 29 by the time I plan to matriculate (with a full time experience of 6 years) did graduation in engineering from India (T-10 school, best multidisciplinary university in the country) and then an MBA from a T-4 B-school. I am also a certified Financial Risk Manager from GARP, USA. Subsequent to that, I have experience in large Indian power sector corporates in roles ranging from project finance, regulatory and legal affairs, policy advocacy in private public partnership space, corporate strategy role as an adviser to Chairmen of leading Indian industrial conglomerates. Thereafter, I led the co-founding of a clean energy for-profit company focusing on turnaround of stressed energy sector projects across south Asia. We focus on developing projects which have substantial socio-economic development impact on local communities.
Over the last five years, I've been closely involved in driving the legal and regulatory affairs of my employers and my company - I have led the drafting of several documents - financing agreements with the US Exim bank; contractual agreements ; petitions in some landmark cases in the power sector, written submissions, affidavits in quasi-judicial bodies and tribunals. I have had the chance to brief several senior lawyers including the present attorney general of the country. I have absolutely loved the law side of my work - be it preparing briefs, drafting large contracts or arguments in petitions, poring over acts and policies or arguing in quasi judicial regulatory commission. With my business background, I am absolutely looking forward to get a JD from a top school in the US because - I would want to practice in the US at least for 6-8 years and I have heard great things about the JD course from my lawyer friends and my research corroborates it. I know I need to do well in the LSAT first for that. I scored a 160 in my first diagnostic (that was the first test I was taking after 5 years) without prep and am planning to take the June test. I hope to get somewhere into the around 170s in the June test.

With my background, do you think JD is a good idea from the perspective of -

1. Career after - I wish to work in a business setting - a consult or a bank or as an in-house counsel to a large corporate (perhaps in the infrastructure space) or alternatively in a biglaw firm focusing on infra/energy sector - if you could touch upon the ease of getting a job and a work visa as well

2. Family and money - I am married and my wife plans to move with me if and when I join law school. She is a doctor and plans to study further in the states or take care of kid(s) for a bit, if we plan. I don't have a lot of savings and am hoping for a half to full tuition and loaning the rest from private lenders with a cosigner.

3. Choice - My top choice at present appears to be NU in view of the class with experienced people and focus on business like pedagogy. Their placements in business/corporate appears to be good as well.

4. Life at LS and performing up to the mark in view of my career plans after JD and the fact that I am married and may need time for family - I was an excellent student in school but only a top 30%ile student in grad and postgrad (could you please comments on how that would be rated by LSAC - above average or superior or average). I have been excellent in entrance examinations and have scored single digit country ranks and percentiles in excess of 99.9. However, in college, I was just outside the top quartile (grad and postgrad). That said, the colleges attracted the top brains from India and B-school life in India is very very rigorous.

5. Chances of getting in - What do you think could be my chances in t-14 (NU or others) with some $$, assuming (best case) I get a 170 - in view of my educational background (do you think it offers diversity??), my WE in legal and regulatory setting and my experience in an international setting, I also have overcome a few personal problems and prejudices which I would want to reflect in my PS or DS.

6. any other issues you would want to comment on.

Many thanks for reading my long post. Will appreciate if you could answer even in brief. I would also be grateful if you could lead me on to Indians would have pursued JD from a T-14 subsequent to completing studies in India.

Thanks and regards,

elduderino55

New

Post by elduderino55 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 am

Can someone please help me out figuring out how to deal with waitlists and the I-20? is it easier to get an I-20 from a school your already accepted to and then transfer it to whatever school takes you off the waitlist later or just wait it out then seeing if you can take a brand new one fro m your waitlisted school? I'm trying to figure out a timeline here...thanks in advance!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”