Low GPA as a math major Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
diceman31

New

Low GPA as a math major

Post by diceman31 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:04 am

Hi All,

I'm' new here and I recently became interested in attending Law School after graduation. I am soon to receive my BS is pure Mathematics and my GPA is a 2.7 (I have yet to take the LSAT). My question is, is this too low of a GPA to get into a top school. I would assume that the selection committees consider the rigor of certain majors over others.

Is my assumption valid? What are my chances, even with a slightly above average LSAT score?

EDIT: When I say top law school, I really mean Good law school.

Thanks,
Diceman31
Last edited by diceman31 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PoopNpants

Silver

Re: Low GPA as a math major

Post by PoopNpants » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:17 am

for a top school, yeah your GPA is too low
By top I'm just assuming T14 though, can't say for sure about other schools that could possibly be construed as "top"

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:37 am

They aren't going to "discount" the lowness of your gpa just because it's math, if that's what you're asking. All GPAs are created equal in the eyes of law school admissions.

I have no idea what you mean by good law school but however you define it it will be an uphill battle to be accepted to a good law school, let alone with a scholarship that makes attending that school worthwhile. But it might not be impossible with an extremely high lsat score and depending on the school/your career goals.

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:46 am

You've limited your T14 options and scholarship ceilings, but Northwestern, Virginia, and Georgetown continue to take sub-3.0 GPAs. You might be able to land a full or near-full scholarship at WUStL. But a 170+ LSAT is the starting point for you; you've got to aim for a 99th percentile score. Then, apply very broadly.

Adcoms will not care about the RIGOR of your major. They have to report your GPA as listed.

izha

New

Post by izha » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:29 am

diceman31 wrote:Hi All,

I'm' new here and I recently became interested in attending Law School after graduation. I am soon to receive my BS is pure Mathematics and my GPA is a 2.7 (I have yet to take the LSAT). My question is, is this too low of a GPA to get into a top school. I would assume that the selection committees consider the rigor of certain majors over others.

Is my assumption valid? What are my chances, even with a slightly above average LSAT score?

EDIT: When I say top law school, I really mean Good law school.

Thanks,
Diceman31
With "a slightly above average LSAT score" you can't get into a top law school period. 2.7 doesn't help either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”