American vs. UNLV vs. Pepperdine Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rileyfo

Bronze

American vs. UNLV vs. Pepperdine

Post by Rileyfo » Sat May 30, 2015 4:11 am

Last edited by Rileyfo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Re: American vs. UNLV vs. Pepperdine

Post by rwhyAn » Sat May 30, 2015 5:45 am

UNLV is the only legitimate option of the three. You're from Vegas, so you already have connections, and it's the cheapest. American is too expensive, even with the 15k scholly, to be justifiable. Pepperdine, while gorgeous, is too expensive at sticker.

Rileyfo

Bronze

Post by Rileyfo » Sat May 30, 2015 11:17 am

Last edited by Rileyfo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat May 30, 2015 11:26 am

American is a frighteningly bad school that should have been closed down long ago.

All seem to be too expensive to justify attending. After accounting for cost of living, tuition increases, interest, loan origination fees, etc. how much debt will you be in at each?

Planning to transfer is a really bad plan, you'll most likely end up with average grades at whatever school you attend which would make that impossible. Also, GW is an iffy school to attend if you go there as a 1L and have a large scholarship. Going there as one of the unwashed American transfer horde and then paying sticker for two years is a recipe for disaster.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat May 30, 2015 11:29 am

I forget who said it originally, but Pepperdine is proof of corruption in NCAA sports, because if they only draw was an education (which is mostly ignored anyway given the demands of the sport) and an opportunity to live somewhere for four years, the beautiful campus should have put Pepperdine in the running for every major college championship.

Going to a school with a plan of transferring always seems to be a dangerous option, even in a school where roughly 75% of the students transfer out, it is still likely not a good plan. On the bright side if you do opt to go, they should just about be done with the new campus. And since you would not need to share space with upperclassmen (since they have all transferred away) you would likely have more physical space available then just about any other city based school.

I do not know anything about UNLV. Do they have gaming tables in the library?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:35 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat May 30, 2015 11:40 am

On the bright side, if you go to UNLV, you will likely be competing against DaRascal for employment. I suspect that you would look really good next to him.

Rileyfo

Bronze

Post by Rileyfo » Sat May 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Last edited by Rileyfo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rileyfo

Bronze

Post by Rileyfo » Sat May 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Last edited by Rileyfo on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat May 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Rileyfo wrote:
BigZuck wrote:American is a frighteningly bad school that should have been closed down long ago.

All seem to be too expensive to justify attending. After accounting for cost of living, tuition increases, interest, loan origination fees, etc. how much debt will you be in at each?

Planning to transfer is a really bad plan, you'll most likely end up with average grades at whatever school you attend which would make that impossible. Also, GW is an iffy school to attend if you go there as a 1L and have a large scholarship. Going there as one of the unwashed American transfer horde and then paying sticker for two years is a recipe for disaster.
What is so bad about American? The employment numbers don't seem too bad. UNLV has decent employment numbers. I have heard a lot of people saying "don't go to American" but no one actually saying why other than that it is expensive. I'd be 50-60k at UNLV, closer to 130-150 at American and I don't want to talk about Pepperdine.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/american/

I suspect that the prime argument is that the job numbers are mediocre at best. This becomes a bigger problem given the cost, especially the high cost of living.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat May 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Rileyfo wrote:
BigZuck wrote:American is a frighteningly bad school that should have been closed down long ago.

What is so bad about American? The employment numbers don't seem too bad. UNLV has decent employment numbers. I have heard a lot of people saying "don't go to American" but no one actually saying why other than that it is expensive. I'd be 50-60k at UNLV, closer to 130-150 at American and I don't want to talk about Pepperdine.
When you subtract the school funded numbers (which aren't real jobs, just stuff to pad the stats) they hover around 40% over the last 3 years. That's atrocious, especially when you factor in cost of attendance. Even with the school funded jobs factored in the job numbers are bad.

It needs to be shut down

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Sat May 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Rileyfo wrote:I'm hoping to get some feedback on my current situation. I have a half scholly to UNLV (I'm from Vegas), 15k to American, and nothing yet to Pepperdine. Anyone have feedback about these three schools? I've see a lot of hate about American on here. Already taken the LSAT 3 times, so a retake is out. Advice anyone? Thank you.
Go to UNLV, i'm not sure how this is even a question,lol. You have resident tuition at 24 per for 3 years, on top of that you have half a scholarship. So thats 36k for 3 years going by tuition only.

How are Pepperdine and American even in the conversation? It beats the other two in employment as well as cost.

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Rileyfo wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:Don't go vs. don't go vs. don't go

But seriously, take some time off for work experience, read more challenging material on a daily basis, and take the LSAT more seriously in a couple years.
I appreciate the advice. I've been out of school for 3 years now and have some good experience, but didn't LSAT prep like I should have because of work. I wouldn't be able to take the lsat again until Sept. 17, but that would give me tons of time to study and take it seriously.
What are your previous scores? Pretty sure the answer is retake.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:18 pm

uh, goals?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”