Still Waiting Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Porkypots

Bronze

Still Waiting

Post by Porkypots » Mon May 11, 2015 2:49 pm

I was accepted to my second choice last week and I have until the 20th to make the first deposit BUT I am still waiting on a decision from my first choice. Should I ask for a deposit deadline extension and how do I go about this? Also, can I ask the pending school if I will receive any news in the next week? PLEASE HELP.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Re: Still Waiting

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Porkypots wrote:I was accepted to my second choice last week and I have until the 20th to make the first deposit BUT I am still waiting on a decision from my first choice. Should I ask for a deposit deadline extension and how do I go about this? Also, can I ask the pending school if I will receive any news in the next week? PLEASE HELP.
you'll probably get better replies in the school-specific threads, but I'd call both schools. Your first choice first to see if you can expedite a decision, and then the second to request an extension if the first declines.

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Mon May 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Porkypots wrote:I was accepted to my second choice last week and I have until the 20th to make the first deposit BUT I am still waiting on a decision from my first choice. Should I ask for a deposit deadline extension and how do I go about this? Also, can I ask the pending school if I will receive any news in the next week? PLEASE HELP.
You can ask the school but don't ask them for a specific date. Just ask them a general question: "I am just writing to make sure that the admissions committee has received my application." "The application status has said "complete" for a while and I was wondering if there is any timeframe in which I can expect a decision"

etc.

Some schools will be nice and tell you "you can expect a decision in the next week or so"

others will either flat out ignore the email or they will tell you that they have no time frame.

Deposit at your 2nd choice school. There is usually some type of refund policy for deposits, in which u may partially get back some money. Not a guarantee.

Don't handcuff yourself to your first choice school and put yourself in a position where you have no options. Deposit at #2, play the waiting game.

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Mon May 11, 2015 3:46 pm

I would call instead of emailing. You'll probably have better luck / get a more candid answer.
FirmBiz wrote:Deposit at your 2nd choice school. There is usually some type of refund policy for deposits, in which u may partially get back some money. Not a guarantee.
Where are you seeing schools with refundable deposits? I've only ever seen nonrefundable ones.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 11, 2015 3:49 pm

strugglebus wrote:Where are you seeing schools with refundable deposits? I've only ever seen nonrefundable ones.
Wake refunded part of deposits as long as you withdrew by a certain date. I don't think this is common practice though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon May 11, 2015 3:52 pm

retake

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Just tell #2 that you're still waiting on key information and would like to request more time before making a commitment. Ask for a ridiculous amount of time (like a month), and say that, however, any extra time would be helpful in allowing you to make an informed decision and good use of your limited funds.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon May 11, 2015 4:39 pm

usn26 wrote:Just tell #2 that you're still waiting on key information and would like to request more time before making a commitment. Ask for a ridiculous amount of time (like a month), and say that, however, any extra time would be helpful in allowing you to make an informed decision and good use of your limited funds.
A simple ask is how to do it OP. The worst they can say is no, but I don't think they would.

WUSTL offered to refund my deposit, but I don't think this is common and they only did because they had me deposit to see if my scholarship would go up and ultimately it did not.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:41 pm

KMart wrote:A simple ask is how to do it OP. The worst they can say is no, but I don't think they would.
You never know. I asked for an extension (twice) and… never heard back. Not going to that school. :?

Listen to KMart OP. Just ask. Politely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FirmBiz

Bronze

Post by FirmBiz » Mon May 11, 2015 5:33 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
strugglebus wrote:Where are you seeing schools with refundable deposits? I've only ever seen nonrefundable ones.
Wake refunded part of deposits as long as you withdrew by a certain date. I don't think this is common practice though.
This.

Not every school does it, but some do.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Mon May 11, 2015 5:44 pm

tell us the schools so we can tell you whether or not you're making a terrible mistake (more often than not the case)

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Mon May 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Perhaps you should consider the lack of a rejection to be a stealth acceptance.

If you have not heard anything by orientation, just show up and see how it goes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”