Rutgers Newark PT to FT Q's Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FK1989

New

Rutgers Newark PT to FT Q's

Post by FK1989 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:30 pm

I know Rutgers Newark allows students to transfer from part time to full time after completing the required first year curriculum and had a couple questions. I was wondering if anyone on TLS had done this and how it worked mechanically? Can you transfer at any time or must you wait until after all 1st year classes are complete? If you begin as a part time student and switch to full time can you participate in OCI after your first year? Also would switching cause you to miss any opportunities to participate on journals, etc?

Any insight is appreciate. Please feel free to PM if you'd rather. Thanks.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Rutgers Newark PT to FT Q's

Post by TLSModBot » Fri May 08, 2015 6:32 pm

Different school PT student here - for whatever it's worth our school expects PT to FT converted students to fully be functioning 2L's - so they get access to OCI, write-on, etc. just like any other FT student.

FK1989

New

Post by FK1989 » Sun May 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks for the info. Does anybody else have any info about Rutgers Newark specifically?

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Sun May 10, 2015 5:01 pm

This is from their website:
A student who has successfully completed at least one full academic year or two semesters at another ABA-accredited law school, may apply for transfer admission with advanced standing to either the full-time or part-time law program. Students currently in a part-time program must have completed at least 20 credits and legal writing and research.
https://law.newark.rutgers.edu/admissio ... applicants

If your original school doesn't offer or you haven't taken one of the 1L required classes, you'll just be required to do it in your first semester as a transfer. However, I'm speaking as a Rutgers-Camden student and am not sure how or if Newark operates differently and/or how the merger will impact this stuff.

Are you transferring in fromm another school's PT program into RU-N's FT program, or are you already at RU-N and just transitioning from PT to FT?

FK1989

New

Post by FK1989 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:24 pm

Currently planning to enroll this fall as PT student at Rutgers Newark, but would like to eventually transition to the full time program.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 pm

FK1989 wrote:Currently planning to enroll this fall as PT student at Rutgers Newark, but would like to eventually transition to the full time program.
Why? If you can keep a day job and graduate with less debt, do that. I guess I just don't understand what circumstances would cause you to be PT first year and then transition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”