applying while transgender Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gydthstr

New

applying while transgender

Post by gydthstr » Thu May 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Hey friends,

I'm trans and have been living as male for a while, but I haven't yet completed the arduous and expensive process of of updating my legal documents to reflect my name and gender marker. I look male, have a guys name, etc etc.

I'm sure that you've got to use your legal name when applying for schools, but it does seem weird that I'd be applying as GIRLSNAME and F when I haven't used that name in a while and am now M. Or CAN I apply with my current (not legal) name, though they'll get my LSAT with my legal name on there and they won't match?

I'll write a DS about this and everything, but should I reach out to schools and specifically let them know? Also, is this a significant soft if I'm the first trans person in my professional field ever etc etc am very involved in the LGBT community?

thanks team

sd5289

Gold

Re: applying while transgender

Post by sd5289 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:29 pm

1) Given the fact that it's May, I'm guessing this is for this upcoming cycle? If so, any chance you can do the legal name change and all that before you apply? Totally cool if you're not wanting to do that (no judgement), but doing that would help eliminate that issue. Have you already taken the LSAT? That might cause some issues if you've taken the LSAT under one name, and then try to apply with your name. If you haven't taken the LSAT already, then that could eliminate the issue right from the get go.

2) If you're not up for that, I'd probably call the Admissions Offices of the schools you're interested in, and ask them about it. The big concern is basically fraud and misrepresentation because what you put on your application for law school is cross-checked against the information you'll put down for the bar examiners in the state where you choose to sit for the bar.

ETA: as for a "soft," I'm sure it'll help catch the attention of some AdComms, but probably won't give you the same bump that URM does.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Thu May 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gydthstr

New

Post by gydthstr » Thu May 07, 2015 8:10 pm

thanks guys

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu May 07, 2015 10:24 pm

IIRC Harvard and NYU had a section about gender preferences but no other apps I remember

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Fri May 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”