Should(n't) take 2nd LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UOI4430

Bronze

Should(n't) take 2nd LSAT

Post by UOI4430 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Hey everyone,

3.78, 168

So I have placed a deposit at a t-20 school for the fall, and I have a full ride. I am excited to attend, but also a bit regretful that I didn't get into the t-14 schools I was shooting for with enough money to make them financially reasonable. I am wondering if there would be any consequence to taking the LSAT again in June.

This is my thinking -- if I take the LSAT again and score better (say 170-173) I can wait and reapply next year for hopefully better results. If I don't score better, then I can simply attend the school I have deposited at for the fall.

However, I am concerned about the possibility of scoring lower. Would this negatively impact my current situation? i.e. My current school pulls my scholarship due to a worse LSAT score. I only bring it up because I have not studied one piece of LSAT material since I took the test back in September 2014.

I think that 7 weeks is potentially enough time for me to get back into the swing and improve my score. But maybe this is a bad idea. Part of me is saying that a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." I don't want to fuck up my current situation on the off chance I would improve my outcomes for next year.

Any help is appreciated and brutality is expected.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Should(n't) take 2nd LSAT

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:18 pm

There is no repercussion to retaking. If you've got a full ride at a T20 you're not badly off, but better to retake than wonder 'what if' - but seriously buck up and take it seriously.

You already have an offer, and almost no schools seriously look at anything but the highest LSAT score. So if you do worse, the score you already have will still count and neither you nor the school is any worse off for it.

UOI4430

Bronze

Post by UOI4430 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:24 pm

Thanks for the info ^^^

I guess I'll get back to studying.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 pm

Needless to say, if you DO get a better score this doesn't mean you should automatically drop from your current school. A 169 isn't going to change your situation drastically enough to merit going through admissions hell again, but a 172+ will do the trick. In between is a gray area you'll need to deal with if the time comes.

Good luck!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:41 pm

It will not hurt you and the retake will only help you. Go for it and knock it out of the park. Otherwise the poster above me nailed everything to a T.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:02 pm

You're in a great spot. I was in a similar situation during my first cycle and am so glad I retook. Nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Rimmock123

New

Post by Rimmock123 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:44 pm

I don't think there will be any negative repercussions unless you perform worse on the June LSAT. In order for you to get better money at the t14 schools you will have to deposit at them as well. That could be risky if things don't work out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”