Are dual degrees nonsense? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DavidConeSplitter

Silver

Are dual degrees nonsense?

Post by DavidConeSplitter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:14 pm

My understanding is that you only go to law school to be a lawyer. Are there situations where a dual degree like a JD/MA makes sense?--independent of the monetary investment because that will be different for everyone.

I guess the impression I'm getting is that dual degrees are basically marketing gimmicks at all but the best schools, designed to syphon off even more of the sweet federal student loan flow, while keeping afloat failing law schools as long as possible.

Is this an incorrect assessment? I have no horse in the race, just wondering what the TLS community thinks.

bob311

Bronze

Re: Are dual degrees nonsense?

Post by bob311 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:16 pm

This will go against conventional TLS wisdom but I know an extremely successful lawyer who has built a firm from nothing who has a JD/MBA. Not only does he run his firm and is in court 4 days a week, he also has side business ventures he runs himself. Lets just say he makes a lot of money.

So regardless of what TLS thinks, I do believe there are people who can and will be effective with both. Just individual circumstances I say.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm

i'm pretty sure that people who don't get jd/mbas, like me, try to justify our decisions by RIDICULING the people who spend the extra time at paradise (aka school where you can sleep till noon and then sit on quads and watch hot chicks stroll around). obviously it's pretty dumb to do mba stuff for IP LIT, but it can definitely be useful for corporate stuff. also, like, shit isn't just for getting hired. sometimes it's actually good to be knowledgeable about stuff once you are working so maybe you can advance your career or get clients or something.

timesnewboston

New

Post by timesnewboston » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm

ari gold has a jd/mba

/thread

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:30 pm

timesnewboston wrote:ari gold has a jd/mba

/thread
Real-life Ari Emanuel doesn't.

(But I'd rather be Ari Gold, so ... )

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:38 pm

My understanding is that dual degrees aren't "nonsense" but that the benefits of having one usually don't justify the extra debt.

francescalegge

New

Post by francescalegge » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:41 pm

I just joined and I'm already incredibly unpopular here so keep that in mind when you read my answer :D

I've heard that JD/MBA combos are becoming both increasingly common and increasingly useful. I think it depends on what type of law you want to go into. I am currently considering a joint JD/MPIA because I lean more towards legal policy work.

You should also consider the financial aspect. If you get a good scholarship or don't have to pay tuition at all, why not? A degree is always helpful, whether it's worth it or not will depend on individual circumstances.

And, personally, I don't believe that a JD is only for people who want to practice law. I think that comes from the same mindset that says "Don't bother if you can't get into a T14 school" - it doesn't really make sense and it devalues people's choices and interests. It also fails to consider how valuable a law degree can be to someone who does not practice law but maybe deals with legal issues as part of another role.

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:46 pm

francescalegge wrote:I just joined and I'm already incredibly unpopular here so keep that in mind when you read my answer :D

I've heard that JD/MBA combos are becoming both increasingly common and increasingly useful. I think it depends on what type of law you want to go into. I am currently considering a joint JD/MPIA because I lean more towards legal policy work.

You should also consider the financial aspect. If you get a good scholarship or don't have to pay tuition at all, why not? A degree is always helpful, whether it's worth it or not will depend on individual circumstances.

And, personally, I don't believe that a JD is only for people who want to practice law. I think that comes from the same mindset that says "Don't bother if you can't get into a T14 school" - it doesn't really make sense and it devalues people's choices and interests. It also fails to consider how valuable a law degree can be to someone who does not practice law but maybe deals with legal issues as part of another role.
It totally depends on the school and the degree. A JD-MBA from a lower-tier school is probably pretty worthless: a low-value MBA doesn't add much to a low-value JD. A JD-MA (English) from Harvard is also pretty useless: an MA in English adds very little value in any circumstances, even from Harvard, and I can't imagine what value it could possibly add to the JD. On the other hand, depending on what sort of law you want to practice, a JD-MS (in engineering, environmental science, etc) and even a JD-MPA from a good school can be extremely professionally helpful in the right circumstances--as well they should be. And JD-MDs, as ridiculous a concept as they may be, are super portable (although probably not enough to justify the added expense).

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:47 pm

derp

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:51 pm

I think this depends on the person, not the program. (Obviously, don't attend a bad law program and follow it up with another bad MA/MPP/MBA.)

If you have a legitimate reason for wanting a JD and a masters in "x" it's not something that should just be laughed off. However, if you're just getting it to be able to say I've got a masters in "x" and a JD it's prob not worth it.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:55 pm

I chose not to go the JD/MBA route but I understand it. There is a world of difference between a good MBA and most other degrees in terms of how much you would benefit.

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:58 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:I chose not to go the JD/MBA route but I understand it. There is a world of difference between a good MBA and most other degrees in terms of how much you would benefit.
Eh. I disagree. I think the MBA is an overrated degree in general. There are certainly times in which a JD-MBA is very helpful, but I suspect that a JD-hard science masters+ degree will generally be the most professionally helpful joint degree (at least assuming an interest in doing some sort of law that implicates the hard science).

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:03 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:05 pm

If you are going into any aspect of health a JD/MBE is golden.

tealeaves12

Bronze

Post by tealeaves12 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:09 pm

Last edited by tealeaves12 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:14 pm

Moneytrees wrote:My understanding is that dual degrees aren't "nonsense" but that the benefits of having one usually don't justify the extra debt.
This. It also depends on the school you're attending.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”