WUSTL v. Fordham Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which would you chose?

WUSTL
24%
Fordham
76%

Total votes: 21

Clearly

Gold

Re: WUSTL v. Fordham

Post by Clearly » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:46 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
Clearly wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:I never said I accepted that we couldn't change her mind to do one of these two incredibly stupid options. We've broken through on people who were about to make choices more stupid than this
Myself included
I took your statement that "We've been around here long enough to know that people like this are going to take any advice they agree with, and discount your minor disclaimer about you agreeing with us." to mean that you didn't think it was possible to break through to someone. I guess that that was an incorrect conclusion?
You can literally just read my post in reply to his post. I don't see how you misread this.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:49 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:I never said I accepted that we couldn't change her mind to do one of these two incredibly stupid options. We've broken through on people who were about to make choices more stupid than this
So I guess you see yourself trying to convince her not to choose either option, and you see me as arguing against you by answering her initial question? Have you actually ever broken through to someone? If you honestly have, I'll shut up about going to Fordham over WUSTL.
I'm not trying to argue with you. I just reject that, because x poster has stipulated she will be making one of two terrible choices, we cannot accept that stipuulation and give should instead advice about which decision is less terrible.

I don't know if I, personally, have broken through on anyone. But TLS as a collective in pile-on threads certainly has, at least in my two-ish years around the forum. It takes some serious balls to blindly reject the unanimous advice of a horde of people who are the position you want to be in.

In other words I guess I was saying you should not entertain her, because that's the validation she's seeking, and simply to join the pile on in rejecting the (absurd) basic premise of her scenario.
Last edited by zombie mcavoy on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:06 pm

I agree that OP needs facts and an honest assessment of her situation. The reality is that these two options would both be fairly poor choices, given OP's goals.

However, Fordham would be the lesser of two evils. WUSTL is absolutely not the right choice in this case. Fordham has a good reputation in NYC and will give OP a decent shot at Biglaw there. If OP strikes out at Oci, at least she will have options around the area she wants to live in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:28 pm

fordham would be an awfully poor choice for corporate law
bl/fc is only 36.6%, so odds are that OP won't achieve her goals from fordham
and, because of the nature of legal hiring, likely never will

personally i think it's an atrocious waste of money, considering OP's goal of practicing corporate law
OP should consider fordham's high underemployment score and mediocre biglaw placement
and what will likely be a low starting salary relative to the huge investment of out-of-pocket sticker

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:56 pm

If you're not great at high-stakes, time-pressured tests, chances are you're not going to do an amazing job in law school. You need to test well to do well in law school, and if you don't do well at WUSTL or Fordham, you're not getting big law. There has to be something else you'd like to do with that inheritance.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:10 am

you really should give it to a asset management firm to invest it for you. or at the very least hire a financial advisor. It really is kinda scary that you have that kind of money but don't seem to understand how to fully utilize its potential.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:23 am

OP, you know that car RDJ drives in Iron Man? It's an Audi R8, base model is around 110k. Work a low-stress easy job so there's no resume gap for 1 year, and spend a few months of that year traveling Europe, staying in 4 star hotels. Then, retake the LSAT, score over a 165, and go to WUSTL/Fordham with a full ride. Roll up to your new apartment in an Audi R8*. Alternatively, if you get 170+, go to T14 at sticker and forego the R8.

If you really want to blow 200k fast, the above mentioned method is preferred.

*for reference (this is what you're giving up to go to a regional at sticker because you don't want to sit out a year and enjoy Europe):

I think this car has spoilers that automatically and sexily deploy when you hit a certain speed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:54 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:OP, you know that car RDJ drives in Iron Man? It's an Audi R8, base model is around 110k. Work a low-stress easy job so there's no resume gap for 1 year, and spend a few months of that year traveling Europe, staying in 4 star hotels. Then, retake the LSAT, score over a 165, and go to WUSTL/Fordham with a full ride. Roll up to your new apartment in an Audi R8*. Alternatively, if you get 170+, go to T14 at sticker and forego the R8.

If you really want to blow 200k fast, the above mentioned method is preferred.

*for reference (this is what you're giving up to go to a regional at sticker because you don't want to sit out a year and enjoy Europe):

I think this car has spoilers that automatically and sexily deploy when you hit a certain speed.
120 trying too hard

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”