Page 1 of 1
Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:23 pm
by Estro_lema
Hello. I'm fairly new to this, but would appreciate any advice I can get.
My stats: 3.8/171. KJD, average sorts, volunteer work. White male. Top state university.
Out from HYS. In at Chicago ($15k/yr) and Columbia. Should I withdraw and reapply? I would retake the LSAT. Last year, (at the advice of my prelaw advisor, which I now regret...) I rushed and studied like mad for 6 weeks to take the June LSAT. Was still improving on my PT's.
My rationale would be for another shot at HYS and/or to secure a half/full scholarship at Chicago or Columbia (both of which are schools that I already love, though Columbia a bit more).
What are the risks? It seems like a gamble and I might not be willing to accept the worst outcome (which would be...?).
Thanks for your input.
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:25 pm
by xylocarp
Only one thread per topic please. I'm locking this one because the other has a response, but PM me if you want it the other way around.
Edit: Switched at the request of OP
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:36 pm
by R. Jeeves
How much $ do you have from other t14s?
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:39 pm
by Estro_lema
pulstar wrote:How much $ do you have from other t14s?
$30k/yr at Duke, UVA, Michigan.
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:51 pm
by R. Jeeves
I think the worst case scenario is you getting YP'd at the lower T-14s that you've already been accepted to and turned down $ from while also failing to get into HYS or CCN with more $.
But if you're sure you can bump your LSAT by a couple points its worth it IMO. What will you be doing during your year off (besides LSAT prep)? Also is your GPA going to change at all?
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:51 pm
by Mack.Hambleton
Retake reapply and get some WE. Easy
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:10 pm
by jbagelboy
Congrats on getting into great schools! Since you're k-jd, I'm always supportive of waiting and reapplying (not really to get into a different school at a higher price, but to receive a higher scholarship at schools you're already admitted to). I think Chicago or Columbia with $45k-$50k isn't a bad choice per se, but with your grades, youth and room for improvement, taking another year or two before making this choice is very sensible.
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:58 pm
by CanadianWolf
Retake if you feel confident that you can improve. Just 2 more points (173) should substantially enhance your law school options. If you can improve by 3 points to a 174, then you should be admitted everywhere & you should receive a few T-14 full tuition scholarship offers.
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:11 pm
by Tiago Splitter
I would try to negotiate one of Duke, UVA or Michigan up to something closer to full tuition. Nothing wrong with waiting though.
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:27 pm
by Rigo
Tiago Splitter wrote:I would try to negotiate one of Duke, UVA or Michigan up to something closer to full tuition. Nothing wrong with waiting though.
This.
What are your career goals, OP?
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:24 pm
by Estro_lema
If I wait a year, I would most likely spend it in a small/unknown firm in Germany. I'm bilingual and am interested in international arbitration or even immigration or international human rights (ie wide, international interests). I definitely would not be doing anything related to that if abroad this next year, though. I also don't see my GPA changing by more than .01, max .02.
A note: I'm from the Maryland area and I also like UVA's offer, but pulstar's worst case scenario is something that I have also been thinking about.
Re: Reapplication Decision
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:44 am
by R. Jeeves
I'm not sure what the odd's of the previously mentioned worst case scenario occurring actually are. I'm guessing that if you score a 173+, work in Germany for a bit, and blanket the T-14 when you reapply, then you'll probably be in a good spot.