Which schools do not ask you about expunged Criminal Records Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MichelleChen

New

Which schools do not ask you about expunged Criminal Records

Post by MichelleChen » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Hello. I have a 3.3 GPA (State school) and a 171 LSAT. I live in Southern California. I have an expunged/dismissed Misdemeanor Grand theft from 8 years ago. I'm in my 30's.

I've applied to about 12 schools. So far, I've been accepted to 1 Tier 3 school that will give me around $10k. I've been put on the waiting list for 2 schools that are Tier 4. Rejected at most of the other schools with 2 schools wanting more information about my misdemeanor.

I was hoping to get into a T4 or better school with a full ride, or at least 2/3 tuition, but I really think the expunged Misdemeanor is holding me back. I do realize that this is a crime of moral turpitude, but I didn't think it would have such an extreme effect. I can't go back in time and change what I've done, so I am asking for advice about what I can do now.

1. If I can find schools that don't ask for expunged criminal records either implicitly or explicitly, I do believe I would have a much easier time getting in and with $. I do not mind relocating from Southern California. Is there a list of schools or would I have to check them one by one?

2. Does anyone know a good Character and fitness lawyer for California State Bar? LA or Orange county. Maybe I wasn't presenting my criminal addendum properly and I would also need one for the C&F for the Bar.

3. If someone knows the procedure for getting copies of the full court records of my case. Do I go to the police station where I was arrested to get the police reports; or will they have everything available at the Courthouse? What do you call the documents that I would be requesting? A criminal Docket?

4. Any other suggestions would be welcome. I suppose I could take the LSAT again and go for 173+ in order to be an LSAT instructor, but I do prefer studying Law. I think I can re-tool to study something else in necessary. Any suggestions?

I really need help. Thanks for reading. I look forward to your comments.

RCSOB657

Gold

Re: Which schools do not ask you about expunged Criminal Records

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:43 pm

I've noticed less probing questions the "higher" I got on school rankings.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:47 pm

I'm confused - if it's expunged than you generally don't have to report it to law schools nor should there be any records of it.

From what I recall in the t14 applications 3 years back this seemed to be the case, at least.

MichelleChen

New

Post by MichelleChen » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:50 pm

They ask if you have had any criminal records. Most include that you must disclose expunged and dismissed cases as well.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:10 pm

MichelleChen wrote:They ask if you have had any criminal records. Most include that you must disclose expunged and dismissed cases as well.
If you already know the answer, why are you asking?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:41 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:
MichelleChen wrote:They ask if you have had any criminal records. Most include that you must disclose expunged and dismissed cases as well.
If you already know the answer, why are you asking?
That's not really fair - she was asking for schools that don't require expunged records, and responding specifically to a comment about the T14. That's not saying she already has the answer to her original question.

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:51 pm

This may not be so helpful, but in my experience, the California and the New York schools were among the most thorough. Schools in other states - like Massachusetts, as memory serves - quite explicitly made clear that applicants were not required to disclose expunged convictions. Of course, you may have no interest in matriculating or practicing outside of California, which means you should talk with a C&F attorney now, because their determination of moral character is reputedly among the most rigorous in the country.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:52 pm

Might want to change your username to discuss stuff like this...

SoCal Japorean

New

Post by SoCal Japorean » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:36 pm

I agree

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”