I am an undergrad who can graduate early. Next step? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
karatemaster101

New

I am an undergrad who can graduate early. Next step?

Post by karatemaster101 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:28 am

Given my current AP/CC credits, I will possibly be able to graduate in two years instead of four. My end goal is law school (T14 preferable, but I am realistic); what should I do in the meantime to maximize my chances? (I am an EE/CS major.)

1. Apply directly to law school. (I heard this is a bad idea, regardless of LSAT and GPA, since apps are open in fall, so to them I'll only have 1 to 1.5 years of grades.)
2. Defer graduation and take some more courses
2. Double major and get another bachelor's, then apply to law school in my 4th year.
3. Apply to graduate school and get a master's, then apply to law school when I am done.
4. Spend 1-2 years gaining work experience, and apply in my 4th year.

If I am going to apply early (choice #1) I will also apply to grad schools just to be safe.
I am just wondering if I have a chance when I'm so young, and if I should even bother, or if I should spend my time doing more useful things.
Does getting rejected 1st round have any effect on later tries? (Helps you, hurts you, gives more experience, no effect?)

RCSOB657

Gold

Re: I am an undergrad who can graduate early. Next step?

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:31 am

Hi, get an LSAT score first. Go from there.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:54 am

Work for a few years and see if you still want to go to law school.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:07 am

Option 4. Congrats on graduating early but your young age would work against you in on campus interviews and make it more difficult for you to get a job. The work experience will not only help in OCI, it will help in your admissions chances and give you an income for two years. You may also decide to take longer or not go to law school, it's up to you. I know of no one who took time off who regretted doing so.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:12 am

What's your GPA right now? If it's high (>3.7 or so) then graduate and spend a few years chilling/working/prepping for the LSAT/getting another degree or w/e. If it's low, delay graduation and take cake classes that you can use to boost your GPA. In no scenario should you go to law school before you can legally drink.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:14 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:What's your GPA right now? If it's high (>3.7 or so) then graduate and spend a few years chilling/working/prepping for the LSAT/getting another degree or w/e. If it's low, delay graduation and take cake classes that you can use to boost your GPA.
This is a great point. Schools won't care how your GPA raised, but they care it did.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:35 am

Option 4.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:51 am

You want to maximize 3 things, in this order: GPA, lsat score, and your professionalism/maturity.

GPA is first because once it's set and you graduate, you can never bring it up again. As suggested above, go out early if your gpa is stellar, stay a year or more if you need to bring it up.

LSAT is next because, while it is the most important factor, you can retake to bring a bad score up. You have tons of time - study your ass off and nail this thing.

Finally, undervalued but still important is your own maturity (or equally as important, potential employer's perception of your maturity). School admissions are a numbers game, but hiring is not solely this - they definitely care about your law school grades, etc., but also want a functioning adult that can succeed as a lawyer.

Once you're in law school, you are on a time-limited high intensity track to perform and get hired. But there is virtually no penalty, ands loads of potential benefits, to waiting before getting on the crazy law school train in the first place.

Take time off, get some work experience, study for and kill the last, and you'll be fine.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:00 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 am

Def get work experience

prodigal.daughter

New

Post by prodigal.daughter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 am

karatemaster101 wrote:I am just wondering if I have a chance when I'm so young, and if I should even bother, or if I should spend my time doing more useful things.
If you can already think of more useful things to do before going to law school, then I don't know why you're even asking the question. You don't go to law school just to go to law school, you know? The same thing applies to going early: don't go early just for the sake of going early. The way I see it, there's no real harm in waiting a few years, but rushing into it could be problematic.

I'm graduating in 3 years and going directly to law school, so I'm definitely not saying that people shouldn't graduate early and go straight through, but if you have other options, I would definitely consider them. Honestly, if you've rushed through undergrad and haven't had any work experience in summers or any real exposure to the real world or other countries/cultures, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by going straight into law school. Experience the world, work for a bit, try to get some experience related to what you're interested in, and then go to law school. Not only will that make you a better candidate for admissions, but it will make you more personally prepared.

That's my two cents, at least.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”