Applying to UT - ED or RD Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bberry32

New

Applying to UT - ED or RD

Post by bberry32 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:52 pm

So I am trying to get some feedback about what LSAT score I should start considering ED at for UT. I have a 3.6 GPA from a local UT satellite school, tons of solid softs, and military deployments. I can go to UT free of charge because of veteran status, but i want schollys to feed my family with. Im hoping to get at least mid 170s so I dont have to consider ED, but what score should I start considering it? Let me know if yall need more info.

ILoveYou

Silver

Re: Applying to UT - ED or RD

Post by ILoveYou » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:58 pm

I'd say if you're just a tad south of 168, the ED could make sense. 168 or higher, I don't see the point, unless it comes with some sweet stipend I've never heard of.

This graph can give you an idea of what RD people are dealing with at UT.

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:08 pm

The only stipend i know of is the 10k/yr. They made the ED binding at UT now right?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:09 pm

I may be wrong but I don't think you get to pocket whatever money isn't applied to school :|

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:15 pm

So i guess i misunderstand what "stipend" means. From my military experience, that means what you live or conduct business with not necessarily allocated to a certain cost. But i am very new and could be very wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:22 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I may be wrong but I don't think you get to pocket whatever money isn't applied to school :|
This is what I meant about the stipend, OP. If it's scholarship money, you don't get a check, they just apply up to that amount to what you owe them. A stipend is money you get to keep.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:27 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:I may be wrong but I don't think you get to pocket whatever money isn't applied to school :|
This is what I meant about the stipend, OP. If it's scholarship money, you don't get a check, they just apply up to that amount to what you owe them. A stipend is money you get to keep.
Yeah email/call and ask to clarify given your military funding. Even though it says stipend, I'm reading it as though it's just a scholarship fwiw.

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 pm

https://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/application/

This is where they discuss it for anyone not familiar with UT ED. I am going to call them tomorrow and get clarification. Thank you for bringing that point up. I didn't even consider that i might not get to pocket it.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:44 pm

I have read elsewhere that they sometimes are willing to negotiate a scholarship for a (reduced amount) to be usable for CoL etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:37 am

Auxilio wrote:I have read elsewhere that they sometimes are willing to negotiate a scholarship for a (reduced amount) to be usable for CoL etc.
I'm fairly sure they're not allowed to do that, at least not on yellow ribbon/GI bill etc.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:44 am

Clearly wrote:
Auxilio wrote:I have read elsewhere that they sometimes are willing to negotiate a scholarship for a (reduced amount) to be usable for CoL etc.
I'm fairly sure they're not allowed to do that, at least not on yellow ribbon/GI bill etc.
False. UT will reclass a scholarship to be used for CoL if you're already 100% covered via GI Bill.

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Follow up: just spoke to UT and they said the 10k for ED wpuld convert to usable scholarship for living expenses.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:54 pm

bberry32 wrote:Follow up: just spoke to UT and they said the 10k for ED wpuld convert to usable scholarship for living expenses.
That's what you were hoping for, right? It's a stipend for living expenses that you get even if you use the GI Bill? You're calling it a scholarship here so I'm still confused.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Yeah, I think OP is mixing up stipend and scholarship, but it sounds like good news, so congrats!

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Either way, stipend or scholarship, UT will convert it so you can use it.

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:29 pm

On the site UT calls it a stipend, but on the phone they call it a scholarship. I dont really know what the difference is. Im still hoping my LSAT is high enough to avoid ED but its good news regardless.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:42 pm

bberry32 wrote:On the site UT calls it a stipend, but on the phone they call it a scholarship. I dont really know what the difference is. Im still hoping my LSAT is high enough to avoid ED but its good news regardless.
So...you talked to them and you still don't know if you can keep it or not?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:48 pm

They said I would keep it. I just want my LSAT to be competitive enough that i dont need ED. I thought i mentioned that above. Sorry for any confusion.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:30 am

I don't know about UT specifically, but generally speaking...

Money is money. It doesn't really matter if a school calls it a scholarship, stipend, tuition waiver, etc. It's all just money that is applied to your account balance. If you get more than you owe in tuition and fees then you keep the extra. If you don't, then you don't. Money is fungible so in a way it's just semantics as to whether you spend a specific dollar for "tuition" or "rent".

As far as the military thing goes, it all depends on which program you're using. My understanding of, for example, Hazelwood is that they only cover your outstanding tuition and fees and that they "pay last", meaning scholarships should go first and then they pay what's left. In that scenario, scholarships don't really benefit the student since it comes out a wash. (For Hazelwood it doesn't even save the state money either since Texas doesn't actually reimburse the tuition to the university. Unlike the GI Bill where the Feds send the school a check, Texas universities just have to eat the costs of the waiver.) On the other hand, there are some Federal benefits that pay all tuition PLUS a housing stipend (that might be paid directly to the student, not through the school, but I'm much fuzzier on this stuff). Things like FLEP and Vocational Rehab benefits are in this category, if I'm not mistaken.

It's possible UT does some behind the scenes stuff to get the student the extra cash, e.g. waiting to apply the scholarship until after benefits are applied. But like I said, I have no idea how other schools work this.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”