Working During Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
minneapolisite

New

Working During Law School

Post by minneapolisite » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Do any of you intend to hold a job during law school? If, so what kind of job? How many hours a week? Why?

orangeswarm

Bronze

Re: Working During Law School

Post by orangeswarm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:30 pm

I planned on it. Got into school and realized it was impossible..........I quit.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:43 pm

If I end up going part time, I will be taking a job that would require to work 40 hours a week but is located near the law school itself. It would be a job where I would have time to study since I would just be on call (technically, on email).

40 hour workweek plus night school is a lot. However, paid for legal education, income during law school (living off campus with SO), and a job lined up for me when I get out? I think the payoff would be worth it if it happens...

...or if something else better comes along.

LabRat

New

Post by LabRat » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:53 pm

I will not work during my first year. Doing well during 1L is too damn important to risk screwing it up in any way. During my second year I'd like to be on Law Review, but if that isn't possible I'll probably try to work 10-15 hrs/wk at a local firm (prosecuting patents).

overtheoxer

New

Post by overtheoxer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:00 pm

I plan on applying to a local school's PT program. I plan on contiunuing with my 40 hour/week job.
I talked to several students. Both those that worked and those that didn't said 1L sucked. One person I talked to worked the entire 4 years in the PT program. He says it's hard work, but doable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

escobarsonlam

New

Post by escobarsonlam » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:16 pm

if i get that schola to nova, i'll try to work at the acura/vw dealer i used to parttime at. just mindless fun picking up cars from the holding lot and delivering them to the dealer...as fast as i can.

MarkTwain

New

Post by MarkTwain » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:54 pm

I have a 1L friend that teaches about 15 hours a week for Kaplan, and he made top 25% last semester.

ddorner04

New

Post by ddorner04 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:05 pm

You know those dueling piano bars where you write your request on a napkin and pay $10-$50 to have it played? I want to actually be one of the performers my 2L and 3L year. Amazing money in that - I've known people to spend over $200 just to have their song played right away.

Trez

New

Post by Trez » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Negative. If i did that I wouldn't have time to party!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSAT_Cat

New

Post by LSAT_Cat » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:12 pm

I have the ultimate job for a student: walk in tech support, with hardly any walk ins. Most of the time I just sit at a desk and study. In fact, my boss even gave me a flash drive so I could save my work and take it home with me.

That is why I must attend a school close to home. :lol:

minneapolisite

New

Post by minneapolisite » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:14 pm

I love my current job and want to reduce it to 20 hours a week so I can work and do school at the same time. It's heartening to know some people can handle it. I'm not much of a partier, since I'm 3 years out of undergrad.

I do actually plan to wear my collegiate ring on my left ring finger as a reminder to stay out of the dating scene. I have no intention of dating anyone throughout law school--I think that's more time consuming than a part time job!

Asakusa

New

Post by Asakusa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:30 pm

The ABA, as well as some schools, have regulations on if you can work and how many hours you can work. Some do not allow you to work at all as a 1L. If I get a job at all, it will be work study and hopefully at the library since I have 3+ years library experience.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:34 pm

I worked about 35 hours during UG, plus I was an RA and in two very time-consuming ECs...I imagine that I'll end up working during LS, just to keep busy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:45 pm

Asakusa wrote:The ABA, as well as some schools, have regulations on if you can work and how many hours you can work. Some do not allow you to work at all as a 1L. If I get a job at all, it will be work study and hopefully at the library since I have 3+ years library experience.
Yea, you can't work over 20 hours at any ABA accredited law school. In addition, a lot of schools do not allow you to work during you 1L year.
I worked about 35 hours during UG, plus I was an RA and in two very time-consuming ECs...I imagine that I'll end up working during LS, just to keep busy.
I was in the same boat as you. Worked full-time during undergrad.........but I realized quickly that the number of hours I worked and my class ranking was sure to have an inverse relationship. I was really surprised that I went from 40 hours and a full course load to nothing. :shock:

minneapolisite

New

Post by minneapolisite » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:00 pm

I looked up my preferred school's policy--apparently 1Ls are "advised not to work" and 2Ls and 3Ls are advised not to work more than 20 hours per week.

fatnbald

New

Post by fatnbald » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:46 pm

I don't know if I will be able to work during law school. The ABA does have a 20 hour max on law students who work. Several of the schools that I applied at require students to prove they are not working more than 20 hours per week. Those that do, and lie about it, can be booted for violation of the Honor Code. I'm thankful that my wife will be working and my parents can afford to kick in a little cash to help out. I could strip for cash but I don't think there is a lot of need for a fat and bald stripper a hell of a lot closer to 40 than 30 years of age.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”