'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r1tlv50

New

'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Post by r1tlv50 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Anybody else signed up for the LSAC candidate search thing this cycle and get the email from Charlotte law? It had the title above and tried to highlight good things about the school in a sarcastic way (with a couple grammatical errors).

For whatever reason that one struck me as being the worst of all the emails from lower-tier schools. Average debt for graduates is crazy high and something like a 30% lawyer rate -- the ironic 'don't go here' message just seemed like it was in really poor taste

Their building looked cool though

fratstar1

Bronze

Re: 'Don't attend Charlotte School of law' email

Post by fratstar1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:04 pm

post it

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:10 pm

yes please post this

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Hello [Firstname],

Now that you've taken the LSAT, it is time to decide on a law school. As you weigh your options, here are some considerations:

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you desire a rigorous and challenging educational experience that will unlock your full potential academically and in other important ways. Charlotte Law equips you with the competencies you need for effective lawyering. But becoming a successful professional includes more than intellectual and analytical prowess. It is dependent not only on IQ but EQ. Self-awareness, self-management, and the ability to work effectively with and inspire others are essential to personal and professional success.

Don't attend Charlotte Law if you don't want to take advantage of the $40,000 scholarship that may be available to you based on your [17X] LSAT score.

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you want to attend a law school that is still focused on theory and doctrine and have much less regard for practice competencies, writing, and personal development. Charlotte School of Law, by contrast, was designed and developed by legal educators who realized that old models of legal education must be improved upon no matter how difficult that change might be.

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you are destined to be a change agent. Leading change requires not just ideals but abilities to persuade, inspire, and achieve. It also is dependent upon a willingness to take the risk of standing apart from the crowd and have the courage of one's convictions. Charlotte School of Law was designed and developed by experienced legal educators with the objective of leading change in legal education at a time when change is overdue.

Rethink Charlotte School of Law and contact me today.

Thanks,

Kimberly

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:18 pm

what a trainwreck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r1tlv50

New

Post by r1tlv50 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks landshoes. I wasn't sure if it'd ok with TLS to post it or not.

I don't think it's as bad now as I did when I read it at first, but there's still just a disconnect and doesn't seem to be any recognition of graduates' debt loads and what that would do to their lives.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:21 pm

please respond to it with the debt/employment stats and ask why someone with your stats should attend, then post what she says

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:26 pm

or pull a birdnals and see if you can goad her into threatening to blacklist you

r1tlv50

New

Post by r1tlv50 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:27 pm

please respond to it with the debt/employment stats and ask why someone with your stats should attend, then post what she says
I definitely considered pushing back on this one. I would hate the idea of acting like I'm above somebody's school in general, but the current job market is forcing us all to shoot high and T3-T4 is probably doing everyone but their faculty a disservice.

Sort of a tangent but it also infuriates me when the schools keep emailing me after I hit unsubscribe

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:37 pm

r1tlv50 wrote:
I definitely considered pushing back on this one. I would hate the idea of acting like I'm above somebody's school in general, but the current job market is forcing us all to shoot high and T3-T4 is probably doing everyone but their faculty a disservice.

Sort of a tangent but it also infuriates me when the schools keep emailing me after I hit unsubscribe
you are above charlotte. it's not a pretentious outlook: the "school" is a for-profit scam that does not deserve to exist. the more bad SEO we can put out there the better chance some poor dude doesn't fall into the trap.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:42 pm

landshoes wrote:
Hello [Firstname],

Now that you've taken the LSAT, it is time to decide on a law school. As you weigh your options, here are some considerations:

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you desire a rigorous and challenging educational experience that will unlock your full potential academically and in other important ways. Charlotte Law equips you with the competencies you need for effective lawyering. But becoming a successful professional includes more than intellectual and analytical prowess. It is dependent not only on IQ but EQ. Self-awareness, self-management, and the ability to work effectively with and inspire others are essential to personal and professional success.

Don't attend Charlotte Law if you don't want to take advantage of the $40,000 scholarship that may be available to you based on your [17X] LSAT score.

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you want to attend a law school that is still focused on theory and doctrine and have much less regard for practice competencies, writing, and personal development. Charlotte School of Law, by contrast, was designed and developed by legal educators who realized that old models of legal education must be improved upon no matter how difficult that change might be.

Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you are destined to be a change agent. Leading change requires not just ideals but abilities to persuade, inspire, and achieve. It also is dependent upon a willingness to take the risk of standing apart from the crowd and have the courage of one's convictions. Charlotte School of Law was designed and developed by experienced legal educators with the objective of leading change in legal education at a time when change is overdue.

Rethink Charlotte School of Law and contact me today.

Thanks,

Kimberly

There, I fixed it

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:53 pm

What's the deal with admissions officers including their pictures in these emails? IDGI

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Brut wrote:what a trainwreck
Clearly ^ doesn't want to be change agent

Also, this is some pretty rancid anti-competencies of effective lawyering trolling dude

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:14 pm

"Don't attend Charlotte Law unless you are destined to be a change agent."

I love that.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:16 pm

it's good marketing. makes you open the email.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:21 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:it's good marketing. makes you open the email.
It also aims squarely at the kind of people who tend to think that they can forge their own path, and damn the rankings/statistics. We see plenty of those people here, and appealing to their anti-authoritarian streak is probably good...for Charlotte School of Law. Likely to be terrible for the 0Ls, of course. I can't imagine someone with my stats going there without it being a terrible decision. I wonder if anyone with my stats does.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:45 pm

It's blatant hucksterism targeting exceptionally under-qualified law school applicants. These same people lack the inclination to take the ten seconds necessary to look at the employment statistics and understand, right in that moment, exactly why this is a terrible school to enroll at.

"All that red represents your opportunity to start your own law practice and forge your own path!"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MadwomanintheAttic

Bronze

Post by MadwomanintheAttic » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:51 pm

I got this email and I thought someone in their admissions office was going rogue. I was so excited! I'm like Yes someone is saving the people who don't do their research and will get this email and think it's a grand choice of law school. But, alas, my hopes were dashed.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Last edited by landshoes on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

r1tlv50

New

Post by r1tlv50 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:46 pm

you are above charlotte. it's not a pretentious outlook: the "school" is a for-profit scam that does not deserve to exist. the more bad SEO we can put out there the better chance some poor dude doesn't fall into the trap.
Yeah, that's fair. The gloves can come off on this seeing as they are ruining people's lives with exorbitant tuition.

I'm not URM, so the email wasn't exclusively directed to minorities, but that of course is not to say they aren't gearing recruitment efforts toward minorities in any way. And yeah, with regard to stats, it'd be one thing if it were a T1 school from my area for which I'm 5 or so points above the LSAT 75 sending me an email to mention I would probably qualify for $...this is a T4 from several states away that I'm 17 points above their 75th on spamming me...like guys, come on...

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:33 pm

landshoes wrote:What's the deal with admissions officers including their pictures in these emails? IDGI
The only one I remember was Florida Coastal, bc the lady was dece. Of course, how Florida Coastal is it to have a blue-eyed blonde on their cold email?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:34 pm

landshoes wrote:
Wingtip88 wrote:It's blatant hucksterism targeting exceptionally under-qualified law school applicants. These same people lack the inclination to take the ten seconds necessary to look at the employment statistics and understand, right in that moment, exactly why this is a terrible school to enroll at.

IMG

"All that red represents your opportunity to start your own law practice and forge your own path!"
I am an URM with a 170+ LSAT and a 3.5+ GPA, so they're clearly not targeting only unqualified applicants. They may be targeting URMs, though, which is depressing.
Strikes me as insulting, illegal, even.

bearsfan23

Gold

Post by bearsfan23 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:48 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
landshoes wrote:
Wingtip88 wrote:It's blatant hucksterism targeting exceptionally under-qualified law school applicants. These same people lack the inclination to take the ten seconds necessary to look at the employment statistics and understand, right in that moment, exactly why this is a terrible school to enroll at.

IMG

I am an URM with a 170+ LSAT and a 3.5+ GPA, so they're clearly not targeting only unqualified applicants. They may be targeting URMs, though, which is depressing.
Illegal? You think an email encouraging prospective students to apply to law school is against the law? Jesus Christ

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:51 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
landshoes wrote:

IMG

Illegal? You think an email encouraging prospective students to apply to law school is against the law? Jesus Christ
(Low EQ schtick)

Good to see someone ITT wants to be a change agent

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:50 am

Replying to any admissions email, unless honestly interested in attending, is TTT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”