Chances of getting into NYLS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschool95148

New

Chances of getting into NYLS?

Post by lawschool95148 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:53 am

I know my stats are terrible, but I would appreciate feedback about my chances of getting into New York Law School. My plan is to hopefully get in there then transfer out. I'm finishing up my applications and freaking out, guys!

GPA: 2.35
LSAT: 153

mvp99

Silver

Re: Chances of getting into NYLS?

Post by mvp99 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:59 am

hey if this is not a flame, you dont want to attend NYLS. Odds of getting a job out of that school are horrible. i wouldn't recommend it even if you had a full ride. With your GPA you should aim score way higher on the LSAT and attend a top school of a strong regional school with a ton of money. GL

lawschool95148

New

Post by lawschool95148 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:23 am

mvp99 wrote:hey if this is not a flame, you dont want to attend NYLS. Odds of getting a job out of that school are horrible. i wouldn't recommend it even if you had a full ride. With your GPA you should aim score way higher on the LSAT and attend a top school of a strong regional school with a ton of money. GL
I am aware of that--sadly, with where I'm at, I have to take what I can get. Given my stats, could I have a fair shot?

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:31 am

you've "a" shot but again you shouldn't attend nyls. Youll be paying sticker and end up with massive debt at this or any other school. Why do you think you HAVE to go to LS?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:26 am

My question would be, how much work did you put into studying for the LSAT? If you knuckled down and really studied effectively, could you get that score up? Then I'd ask, as mvp did, why law school? Why now?

I don't usually jump into "don't go to X school!" threads, but NYLS is a pretty terrible bet. It's an especially bad bet if you are going there hoping to transfer. There are many threads on this board about how difficult it is to transfer, what the odds are; I would strongly suggest doing some research on the employment and transfer stats from NYLS, law school employment (and DEBT) stats in general, and then, if you are still set on law school, (yes, I'm going to say it) retaking the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:36 am

Sucks to hear, but you probably shouldn't go to law school. It's hard to imagine getting a large enough scholarship with your gpa (regardless of LSAT) at a good school, to make law school financially feasible.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:48 am

With that low of an LSAT, a retake is needed. Just wait a year and retake unless you're set on paying Nyls sticker price. Whether you have a chance or not, you need to retake.

ETA: coming from a guy who swore he'd never retake and did so twice

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:54 am

lawschool95148 wrote:
mvp99 wrote:hey if this is not a flame, you dont want to attend NYLS. Odds of getting a job out of that school are horrible. i wouldn't recommend it even if you had a full ride. With your GPA you should aim score way higher on the LSAT and attend a top school of a strong regional school with a ton of money. GL
I am aware of that--sadly, with where I'm at, I have to take what I can get. Given my stats, could I have a fair shot?
No, you don't. At all.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:11 pm

What from your background (academic or otherwise) suggests to you that you will do so well in law school that you can jump from a terrible one to one that is worth paying full sticker price?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool95148

New

Post by lawschool95148 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:45 pm

Money thankfully is not an issue so I will not be applying for aid. Not sure if that gives me any boost in terms of my application, but I thankfully don't have to worry about debt. I know I screwed up both my GPA and LSAT, but I still want to throw my hat in the ring for this cycle and see where it gets me. Taking a year off isn't really an option for me. I know this is a major shot in the dark, but I have nothing to lose at this point and know that my only options are TTT or TTTT schools. That's why I'm honing in on schools such as New York Law and New England School of Law.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:47 pm

lawschool95148 wrote:Taking a year off isn't really an option for me.
Why? Specifically.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:48 pm

lawschool95148 wrote:Taking a year off isn't really an option for me.
There are like three people in the universe for whom this is literally true. Odds are, you aren't one of them.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:32 pm

This guy is starting to sound like a troll. That, or he/she just has no idea how law school works.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschoolstudent93

New

Post by lawschoolstudent93 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Long time lurker (and Fall 2015 law school applicant) here. I have seen quite a bit of abuse of lower ranked law schools (such as NYLS) on this forum and wanted to make a few comments.

While NYLS is by no means the best law school out there, and attending this school comes attached with some concerns (such as employment after graduation), I would not dismiss it without through consideration. I have visited the school several times and think it is a wonderful place. The administrators and staff are among the most friendly I have met at any law school, and out of all the institutions I have been accepted to, not one has shown the level of personal interest that I have seen at NYLS. Furthermore, NYLS has introduced me to several 3Ls who have jobs or major interviews lined up. Based on your grades, I don't know whether you would be accepted (particularly at this point in the cycle), but it does not hurt to apply (if I am not mistaken, there is still no application fee beyond the LSAC cost). Once you visit the school, you may decide you really want to attend.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an employee of NYLS and even though I have been accepted to the school, I have not yet enrolled. I have been accepted to many law schools this admissions season, including a major T25 institution and quite a few in the T50-T75ish range. While finances are a factor in my decision, I can honestly say that NYLS has impressed me more than any of the other schools I applied to this season (not only in terms of facilities, but the overall academic experience). The employment numbers are not great, but I think you will find that they are not drastically different than many other law schools in the sub-T75 range (and even many in the sub-T50 range). Many posters here are adamant that no one should attend a law school outside of the T14, but that is terrible advice. Every academic advisor, pre-law mentor and even private lawyer I have spoken with have not had a single bad word to say about NYLS. It will be somewhat harder finding a job out of NYLS than out of Yale or Harvard, but with hard work it is absolutely doable.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Why is the friendliness of the staff meaningful and how is it going to get you a job?

How is the experience of the employed grads that they put in front of you meaningful and why does that outweigh employment statistics?

Who, specially, is adamant that you should only attend a T14 law school?

How are you quantifying the difficulty of finding a job out of different law schools and why would a NYLS grad have only a "somewhat" harder time than a Yale grad?

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:16 pm

I love how the "difficulty of a getting a job" is listed off as if its a factor for law school decisions like (size of bathrooms, color of toiletpaper) instead of THE reason you go to law school.

Also, if your arguments are so transparently bad that you have to put a disclaimer saying "no guys I'm really not a paid schill," you need to reevaluate the advice you're giving people.

The T14 or bust is a strawman argument. People here advocate regional schools all the time given appropriate goals, expectations and cost.

NYLS is one of the worst law schools in the country and it almost never makes sense for anyone to go there.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:30 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:People here advocate regional schools all the time given appropriate goals, expectations and cost.
Just read this thread before coming here. Plenty of people advocate, with good reason, for a strong regional as opposed to T14. A 44% employment score against Harvard's 89% doesn't constitute a "somewhat more difficult" opportunity. Have you considered a career outside of law? How many LSATs have you taken? How much did you study for this score? And, can you elaborate why law school is a must beyond it's what you want right now?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:29 pm

if this is not a troll... 1. what is a "major interview"? 2. is talking to one or two 3ls who were successful representative of the average outcome? 3. listen to what people are telling you

irish921

New

Post by irish921 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:39 pm

lawschoolstudent93 wrote:Long time lurker (and Fall 2015 law school applicant) here. I have seen quite a bit of abuse of lower ranked law schools (such as NYLS) on this forum and wanted to make a few comments.

While NYLS is by no means the best law school out there, and attending this school comes attached with some concerns (such as employment after graduation), I would not dismiss it without through consideration. I have visited the school several times and think it is a wonderful place. The administrators and staff are among the most friendly I have met at any law school, and out of all the institutions I have been accepted to, not one has shown the level of personal interest that I have seen at NYLS. Furthermore, NYLS has introduced me to several 3Ls who have jobs or major interviews lined up. Based on your grades, I don't know whether you would be accepted (particularly at this point in the cycle), but it does not hurt to apply (if I am not mistaken, there is still no application fee beyond the LSAC cost). Once you visit the school, you may decide you really want to attend.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an employee of NYLS and even though I have been accepted to the school, I have not yet enrolled. I have been accepted to many law schools this admissions season, including a major T25 institution and quite a few in the T50-T75ish range. While finances are a factor in my decision, I can honestly say that NYLS has impressed me more than any of the other schools I applied to this season (not only in terms of facilities, but the overall academic experience). The employment numbers are not great, but I think you will find that they are not drastically different than many other law schools in the sub-T75 range (and even many in the sub-T50 range). Many posters here are adamant that no one should attend a law school outside of the T14, but that is terrible advice. Every academic advisor, pre-law mentor and even private lawyer I have spoken with have not had a single bad word to say about NYLS. It will be somewhat harder finding a job out of NYLS than out of Yale or Harvard, but with hard work it is absolutely doable.
Employment prospects are all that matter. NYLS is not particularly good at employing lawyers. With OP's GPA, his LSAT needs to be a hell of a lot better than 153 to make law school a viable option.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:15 pm

business 101 would say that the worse your product:value is the better your salespeople have to be. the test for niceness shouldnt be how nice a salesperson is pre-sale.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:17 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:business 101 would say that the worse your product:value is the better your salespeople have to be..
I had to read this a couple of times to understand it. I don't think someone with the logic of NYLS is a good law school would understand.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:21 pm

lawschool95148 wrote:Money thankfully is not an issue so I will not be applying for aid. Not sure if that gives me any boost in terms of my application, but I thankfully don't have to worry about debt. I know I screwed up both my GPA and LSAT, but I still want to throw my hat in the ring for this cycle and see where it gets me. Taking a year off isn't really an option for me. I know this is a major shot in the dark, but I have nothing to lose at this point and know that my only options are TTT or TTTT schools. That's why I'm honing in on schools such as New York Law and New England School of Law.
So your parents are paying and are requiring you to go straight through? Or you have a trust to pay with some similar stipulation?

If so, then take a shot. The thing is, law school can hurt your employablility. Why law school and not some b.s. masters?

Learned Throw Hands

New

Post by Learned Throw Hands » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Class of 2014 NYLS: 43.1% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:39 pm

KMart wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:business 101 would say that the worse your product:value is the better your salespeople have to be..
I had to read this a couple of times to understand it. I don't think someone with the logic of NYLS is a good law school would understand.
it's just poor writing on my part. the point isn't very profound, just an obvious one. i'm not saying the people aren't nice but just that demonstrations of interest are a poor way to measure this, because their job is to be interested in you. in addition, the less bargaining power another side has the more they'll kowtow to you. lebron james gets to sit in his home in akron, ohio and have teams fly out to him while d-league players use their savimgs flying out to visit the minnesota timberwolves.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:39 pm

OP law school is not a good investment for you. Sorry

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”