Which law school is the best investment? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PunkedbyReality

New

Which law school is the best investment?

Post by PunkedbyReality » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:04 pm

You'll all get into multiple law schools, or at least the overwhelming majority of you will. And for those of you that aren't going to law school to use your JD for public policy work, to become a law professor, or to do public interest work, you're probably going to law school, at least in part, because you would like to obtain a job that provides a certain level of income. This makes it a pretty straightforward investment.

Since you're going to be investing significant resources (time and money) in your quest for this job, you should probably do pretty extensive investment analysis to decide 1) if law school is the best investment of your time and money, and 2) which law school represents the best investment.

I think that many law students make poor investment decisions in deciding to go to law school and in deciding which school they choose to attend. My best friend from law school disagrees.

What do you think?

Take 60 seconds to fill out this survey and you'll help me figure it out. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1stNbRn ... E/viewform

Then I'll be sharing findings with everyone. Plus, by filling it out you'll have a >1-3% chance of winning a $100 Amazon gift card. And seriously, it only takes 60 seconds.

And if you're interested in learning more about why I'm even bringing this all up, see here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=243914

omegaweapon

Bronze

Re: Which law school is the best investment?

Post by omegaweapon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:14 pm

This survey seems to be for people who've graduated law school, even though you're pitching it to us 0ls. I have no idea what my class rank in law school will be.

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:17 pm

I also don't understand why this survey doesn't take debt levels into account since it's attempting to determine the value of an investment

PunkedbyReality

New

Post by PunkedbyReality » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:40 pm

omegaweapon wrote:This survey seems to be for people who've graduated law school, even though you're pitching it to us 0ls. I have no idea what my class rank in law school will be.
You're right. It is for those in this forum who are either 1) law students with full-time jobs, or 2) law school graduates.

This survey doesn't apply to the 0Ls in this forum, but does apply to the 2Ls, 3Ls, and grads.

PunkedbyReality

New

Post by PunkedbyReality » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:40 pm

jrc223 wrote:I also don't understand why this survey doesn't take debt levels into account since it's attempting to determine the value of an investment
Debt levels will be taken into account for the final tool, but aren't need in this survey.

Good catch though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:43 pm

2nd thread?

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:18 pm

I guess you could it avg alumni salary over tuition costs, but you'll have to adjust for inflation and tuition increases over the years. Good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”