Undergradguate minors Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rilaw

New

Undergradguate minors

Post by Rilaw » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:56 pm

I'm a undergraduate freshman majoring in risk management. I'm at the point where I need to choose between two minors, environmental studies or professional communications. Which of these would look the best for law schools? Any suggestions are welcome.

pamphleteer

Bronze

Re: Undergradguate minors

Post by pamphleteer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:58 pm

Law schools generally don't care what you major in, let alone what you minor in. Pick whichever one is most interesting to you.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Law schools won't care. Employers (legal or otherwise) will care to the extent that it shows an interest in a given field. "Professional Communications" does not sound like a real thing and is not going to impress anybody. Environmental studies would help with certain employers, so if you are indifferent between them I would go with that.

Really not a big deal though.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Whichever is easiest to get A's in

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Depends what kind of law you want to practice. Also, in my opinion, wasting 4 years of education that you are gonna pay for anyway to get the easiest A possible is stupid.

Mike

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Whichever is easiest to get A's in

Rilaw

New

Post by Rilaw » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:42 pm

swampman wrote:Law schools won't care. Employers (legal or otherwise) will care to the extent that it shows an interest in a given field. "Professional Communications" does not sound like a real thing and is not going to impress anybody. Environmental studies would help with certain employers, so if you are indifferent between them I would go with that.

Really not a big deal though.
I was thinking similarly, thank you for replying.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:46 pm

pamphleteer wrote:Law schools generally don't care what you major in, let alone what you minor in. Pick whichever one is most interesting to you.
+1
mike0331 wrote:Depends what kind of law you want to practice. Also, in my opinion, wasting 4 years of education that you are gonna pay for anyway to get the easiest A possible is stupid.

Mike
^ Not at all stupid, whether you're trying to go to law school or just get a job. Universally most people only give a damn about the fact that you got an A and not that it was in intro to underwater basket weaving. For the most part they only ask for transcripts just to check and make sure you're to lying about your GPA. You can only take so many elective courses anyway (minors included- you don't have to graduate with a minor) that you may as well take interesting, cupcake courses. Also, don't listen to him because he signs all of his posts. Completely unnecessary.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:59 pm

mike0331 wrote:Depends what kind of law you want to practice. Also, in my opinion, wasting 4 years of education that you are gonna pay for anyway to get the easiest A possible is stupid.

Mike
He didn't ask what the best way to spend his 4 years of undergraduate study was, but rather which minor is better for law school admissions purposes. The correct answer to that question is "whichever you can get the better grades in."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pcph

Bronze

Post by pcph » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:52 pm

I'd pick the one you like the best, because for law school purposes your grades are super important and if you actually like the classes you're taking, you'll probably do better. I don't know if one would "look better" to admissions counselors, but if you minor in something + join the related club or something along those lines, at least they'd see you were passionate about it. Your GPA is most important though in this situation.

GreatBraffsby

Bronze

Post by GreatBraffsby » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:17 pm

To be honest, minors matter very little from an employer's/grad school's perspective. The extra line on your resume won't open up a field to you after graduation or distinguish you from another student with a single major. The only reason to minor in something is because you love the subject so much that you would have taken the required courses anyways.

A professor once wisely told me to focus on doing the best possible job in one major. I foolishly ignored his advice and split my attention bewteen two majors. I wish I would have put all of my time in getting a great GPA in one major instead of doing OK in both.

With a minor in addition to you major, you lose flexibility in your schedule and can wind up with either an extra course or an overload of difficult courses. I know it's tempting to graduate with as many notches in your belt as possible, but knocking the coursework in your major out of the park should be priority #1.

If you are required to take one of those, professional communications would help you develop skils helpful for law school (public speaking, debate, argument, clear communication) while environmental studies could add weight to a personal statement about wanting to do environmental law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”