Scholarship Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ron Don Volante

Silver

Re: Scholarship

Post by Ron Don Volante » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:10 pm

please present these published numbers

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:22 pm

http://www.northeastern.edu/law/pdfs/ca ... s-2013.pdf 100/218 in full time long term bar passage required positions for NEU class of 2013

https://www.suffolk.edu/documents/Law%2 ... y_2013.pdf 177/479 in the same for Suffolk's class of 2013.

So that put's the percentages at roughly 46% and 37% respectively. Not great, especially for Suffolk, but its not as bleak as is often suggested, especially if the person in question is paying little to nothing for the education.

Compare these numbers to BC, BU, and HLS 64%, 67%, and 90% respectively for other local schools, that I would imagine most, even on TLS, would consider good or excellent.

Mike

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:27 pm

It wouldn't be appropriate to encourage people to bet their future on a coin-flip and those odds are even worse than a coin flip. You're only strengthening the point of those whom you're arguing with. Stop digging your hole deeper.

Rigo

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Also, just because a job requires bar passage doesn't mean it's a good job. This OP is unique in that she has modest goals, but most posters on these forums are unrealistic and in need of a reality check. Sorry if reality isn't all unicorns and rainbows.

Rigo

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 pm

You think that it being more likely that you don't get a legal job at all isn't "bleak"? You have a pretty high tolerance for risk. Keep in mind, too, that's ANY legal job. Not just good ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:33 pm

BC/BU are the type of schools that I think most would say "only go with a significant scholarship and if you want to practice in Boston." Also 64 and 67% are not marginally better than 46 and 37%. Plus, the quality of the jobs actually received at BU/BC is significantly better on average.

I can't believe you're actually on here defending employment sub 50% employment stats. "Only a slight majority of their students failed to get jobs as lawyers" is not a point in favor of Northeastern.

Also, just because you get a full ride to a school doesn't make it "free". There's still opportunity costs of wasting 3 years of your life on something that will be a black mark on your resume for the rest of your life.

Hoos
Last edited by hoos89 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:33 pm

It's not a coin flip, because that's not how employment decisions are arrived at. Furthermore these numbers were for best case scenario JD required full time work. There are multiple contributing factors that influence employ-ability from networking, to academic ability, and even attractiveness... the list goes on. So it's wise for one to assess their own situation and make a decision from there.

ETA: I wasn't saying BU/BC were not significantly better, at least I'd hope not since I'll likely end up at one or the other. Just put the numbers there for comparative purposes. Also, not free, though if it costs you nothing and you are going part-time (not sure if that's an intention of the OP) it is less costly than spending 65K/Year for 3 years at suffolk.

Mike
Last edited by mike0331 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:35 pm

mike0331 wrote:It's not a coin flip, because that's not how employment decisions are arrived at. Furthermore these numbers were for best case scenario JD required full time work. There are multiple contributing factors that influence employ-ability from networking, to academic ability, and even attractiveness... the list goes on. So it's wise for one to asses their own situation and make a decision from there.

Mike
Huh? Dude, don't be dumb.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Not all full time legal work is "best case". It's not all the same. Getting some job at a shitfirm making $40k with no benefits or advancement opportunities (which is probably a significant chunk of the Suffolk/Northeastern employment) is not "best case".

Hoos

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:43 pm

I just have a hard time seeing the "no don't do it under any circumstance" when the people I know who've done it, are batting 1000... but I also know them to be intelligent, well spoken, hard workers.

Mike

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Nice use of anecdotal evidence. Just because TWO people did alright coming out of Suffolk doesn't make it a good idea to go.

Hoos

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:51 pm

look you either get hired or you don't. if you get hired, you have a 100% chance. if you don't, you have a 0% chance. there is no 50% chance of employment.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:03 pm

mike0331 wrote:I just have a hard time seeing the "no don't do it under any circumstance" when the people I know who've done it, are batting 1000... but I also know them to be intelligent, well spoken, hard workers.

Mike
So the people that don't get jobs aren't intelligent, well-spoken, hard workers?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:09 pm

If were resorting to anecdotes, my cousin went bc/bu and is currently slaving away in "shitlaw" 6 days a week. (S)he makes it abundantly clear that (s)he hates it.

His/her spouse went to suffolk/NE, worked as a lawyer for a few years, and has now left the profession entirely.

Both of these individuals were part of the lucky x% of their classes to graduate with JD required jobs. Ask em how lucky they feel.

God I love anecdotes.

Clem

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:27 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
mike0331 wrote:I just have a hard time seeing the "no don't do it under any circumstance" when the people I know who've done it, are batting 1000... but I also know them to be intelligent, well spoken, hard workers.

Mike
So the people that don't get jobs aren't intelligent, well-spoken, hard workers?
According to at least one of my friends who's there now... no not all people at suffolk are that bright (shocking I know).

This clearly hasn't been going anywhere for a while.

Mike

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:29 pm

It's funny how people who do well seem to succeed through their own talent/networking skillz/intelligence/hard work, and they will often tell you that those who didn't do well just weren't as smart/hard working/charismatic/whatever as they are.

Ever heard of cognitive dissonance, bro?

Mike

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:34 pm

I get that, and it does come in to play... but everyone is not created equal/does not try equally hard for various reasons. I doubt luck is the driving force behind job placement. Sure it happens, but life is not a coin toss, or at least that is not the impression I have been left with.

Mike

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm

mike0331 wrote:http://www.northeastern.edu/law/pdfs/ca ... s-2013.pdf 100/218 in full time long term bar passage required positions for NEU class of 2013

https://www.suffolk.edu/documents/Law%2 ... y_2013.pdf 177/479 in the same for Suffolk's class of 2013.

So that put's the percentages at roughly 46% and 37% respectively. Not great, especially for Suffolk, but its not as bleak as is often suggested, especially if the person in question is paying little to nothing for the education.

Compare these numbers to BC, BU, and HLS 64%, 67%, and 90% respectively for other local schools, that I would imagine most, even on TLS, would consider good or excellent.

Mike
you understand this is the same data I was referring to, right?

Ron Don

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:51 pm

hoos89 wrote:It's funny how people who do well seem to succeed through their own talent/networking skillz/intelligence/hard work, and they will often tell you that those who didn't do well just weren't as smart/hard working/charismatic/whatever as they are.

Ever heard of cognitive dissonance, bro?
mike0331 wrote:I get that, and it does come in to play... but everyone is not created equal/does not try equally hard for various reasons. I doubt luck is the driving force behind job placement. Sure it happens, but life is not a coin toss, or at least that is not the impression I have been left with.
The problem is that EVERYONE who applies to law school thinks that they're talented, hard working, smart, articulate, etc. It's not a coin flip in the exact sense. However, it IS a coinflip in the sense that until you enroll, attend, and fail, you don't know if you're employable or not.

Maybe a Showcase Showdown is a better analogy? 2(or 3 depending on the school) doors. Behind 1 of the doors you get paid 60-90k a year. Behind the other (two) door(s) you...

with scholarship: lose 3 years of your life, 3 years of living expenses, and you're at square one, and practicably unemployable.
without scholarship: see above, and you owe $200,000 of nondischargeable debt.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Mike- strawmanning and Horatio Algering is NAGL bro

Zuck

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:01 pm

I don't remember what this thread is. Does the OP have a kid?

If so, don't do it OP

Eta: Zuck

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:I don't remember what this thread is. Does the OP have a kid?

If so, don't do it OP

Eta: Zuck
Yes. OP is a single mother.

-ron don

prelawTN

New

Post by prelawTN » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:39 am

Under no circumstances should anyone attend a law school where the median LSAT is a 161 and year half the graduating class isn't getting a job afterwards. Especially given your job prospects are all in Boston most likely with low pay and high af COL. You wanna go to an awful law school? Go to one of the "good" ones. Memphis for instance puts 65% of its grads in legal employment and you'll probably get in-state tuition ($18000/yr) if you just get a TN driver's license. COL is ridiculously lower than Boston & employment data is better (despite lower LSAT's medians - therefore dumber kids are facing better propects at Memphia). I'd never try to hard sell someone on the 143rd ranked law school in the country but if the alternative is Northeastern....

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”