should i retake? gap year.. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theleastdiverse

New

should i retake? gap year..

Post by theleastdiverse » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:58 pm

So i have a 172 and a 3.05... I am graduating this may and while I will strive for a great GPA this semester, it won't pull up that number significantly.

I am taking a year off before matriculating to law school for personal reasons. This cycle I was accepted to Temple, Richmond, WUSTL (with 30k a year)... I didn't apply to alot of schools because my LOR took forever to get submitted.

I want to apply this September really early to get the benefits, considering I'm a splitter.

Target schools would be UPENN (dream), UVA, GTOWN, WUSTL, BU/BC if they would take my GPA (they don't seem to like splitters), etc...

Would I benefit from studying hard the next few months and retaking LSAT in June or December? I put in alot of work for my 172, but clearly could do better and kinda enjoyed studying for it.

Would my GPA benefit from say a 175+? would that open up options that I currently don't have? options like what?

Thanks!

twenty

Gold

Re: should i retake? gap year..

Post by twenty » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:38 pm

I mean, no reason not to retake if you're up for it and you feel like you could do better, but you're not going to have a significantly better cycle with a 175 over a 172 with your GPA in tow. You probably (definitely) need to include Northwestern on your list. If you're from Minnesota and want to practice there, apply there as well. But Northwestern will likely offer you a scholarship even with your 3.0 GPA.

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:53 pm

I don't know what your resume looks like but it can never hurt to build that.

Mike

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Retaking certainly wouldn't hurt but I don't think it's essential. There will be diminishing returns.

Echoing what twenty said about adding Northwestern to your list.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:48 pm

Dirigo wrote:Retaking certainly wouldn't hurt but I don't think it's essential. There will be diminishing returns.

Echoing what twenty said about adding Northwestern to your list.
I'd retake if you're confident you can do better and the numbers on LSN suggest a better outcome for a score you think you will be able to reach. In most if not all cases, you will probably be above the 75th of schools you're applying to. Retaking might not do anything for you in a school's US News gaming.

If you felt you significantly under performed, go ahead and retake as more points won't hurt even if they don't help much.

That said, definitely add NU as its one of your best chances at money in the t14 with a year of WE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”