Apply before graduation? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MisterT

New

Apply before graduation?

Post by MisterT » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi everyone

First of all I would just like to say what a huge help the TLS forums have been for me in preparing for the LSAT and keeping my motivation up.

I have a question regarding applications to U.S. law school: Can I apply before I get my undergrad degree? With my current schedule, I will graduate some time around December this year, and have good reasons for wanting to start Law School straight after (i.e. fall '16). Will they allow me to apply before I get my undergrad degree, and if yes would it hurt my application in any way? Does this differ from school to school?

If it is of any relevance: I am an international applicant (currently studying in Zurich, Switzerland), and will be taking the LSAT this feb. and will have all my necessary application parts ready to apply in September (transcripts, LORs etc.)

Many thanks for any information you guys have!

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Apply before graduation?

Post by malleus discentium » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:20 pm

TristanZH wrote:Hi everyone
With my current schedule, I will graduate some time around December this year, and have good reasons for wanting to start Law School straight after (i.e. fall '16).
Unlikely. Take a year or two off. You can apply now and defer, but you should not go straight through.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:31 pm

TristanZH wrote: I have a question regarding applications to U.S. law school: Can I apply before I get my undergrad degree? With my current schedule, I will graduate some time around December this year, and have good reasons for wanting to start Law School straight after (i.e. fall '16). Will they allow me to apply before I get my undergrad degree, and if yes would it hurt my application in any way? Does this differ from school to school?
Tons of people apply before graduating. It's in no way unusual.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:38 pm

Nothing wrong with going straight through without getting work experience (the new schtick of tls apparently). You're good

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:42 pm

starry eyed wrote:Nothing wrong with going straight through without getting work experience (the new schtick of tls apparently).
Don't discount good advice. WE is very valuable both for OCI and general maturity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Yea but there are benefits of goin straight through that are not often mentioned. For instance, getting started with ones adult life sooner than later. By the time some finishes law school, they are already 26-27 if they are k-jd. If they take 2-3 years off to work, they are pushing 30. It's an opportunity cost vs quality of life question I admit. But the bias is overwhelmingly against k-jd when there are benefits that no one mentions. yes ppl
Need to get out and see what the world offers, but working as a paralegal for a few years is unlikley to open new insights.

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:57 pm

If most Ppl had wonderful alternatives to law school , they prolly won't be considering law school in the first place.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:12 pm

The problem is that most k-jd's are in such an irrational rush that they refuse to retake and end up going deep into debt at a crappy law school.
Because of that, giving immature 21 year olds a flashing yellow light is never a bad thing.

MisterT

New

Post by MisterT » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks for the advice. WE is definatley a plus, though I completed a 4 year apprenticeship before college and am pretty convinced that a year or two extra of basic fresh-outta-college work is not going to be worth the wait, plus I am 24 already having started college late so that also plays a factor.

Anyway, so long as it's not abnormal for LSAC to submit my transcript to a school with a semester missing then I guess i'm relieved.

Thanks again

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:17 pm

TristanZH wrote: Anyway, so long as it's not abnormal for LSAC to submit my transcript to a school with a semester missing then I guess i'm relieved.
Most k-jd's submit with only 90 completed credits so submitting with around 105 is actually more than usual. You're fine & good luck.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:35 pm

starry eyed wrote:Nothing wrong with going straight through without getting work experience (the new schtick of tls apparently). You're good
Pls go

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:15 pm

starry eyed wrote:Yea but there are benefits of goin straight through that are not often mentioned. For instance, getting started with ones adult life sooner than later.
What is an "adult life"? Plenty of law students maintain (what I would consider) adult lives in law school, especially after 1L. They rent an apartment, get married, take vacations, eat out, and enjoy other mid-twenties yuppie things. Law school doesn't require you to put life on hold.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:18 pm

banjo wrote:
starry eyed wrote:Yea but there are benefits of goin straight through that are not often mentioned. For instance, getting started with ones adult life sooner than later.
What is an "adult life"? Plenty of law students maintain adult lives in law school, especially after 1L. They rent an apartment, get married, take vacations, eat out, and enjoy other mid-twenties yuppie things. Law school doesn't require you to put life on hold.
Pretty sure he was referring to pre-law work experience as "not getting starter with ones adult life" whereas matriculating to law school ASAP (k-jd) IS getting started with ones adult life (I believe being a practicing lawyer is what "adult life" is referring to).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:29 pm

Dirigo wrote:
banjo wrote:
What is an "adult life"? Plenty of law students maintain adult lives in law school, especially after 1L. They rent an apartment, get married, take vacations, eat out, and enjoy other mid-twenties yuppie things. Law school doesn't require you to put life on hold.
Pretty sure he was referring to pre-law work experience as "not getting starter with ones adult life" whereas matriculating to law school ASAP (k-jd) IS getting started with ones adult life (I believe being a practicing lawyer is what "adult life" is referring to).
Oh. I guess I disagree that taking a couple years to work full-time is extending adolescence in some way.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:41 pm

banjo wrote: Oh. I guess I disagree that taking a couple years to work full-time is extending adolescence in some way.
Yeah. If anything, getting WE and experiencing the real world is more "adult," but starry is obviously a very wise k-jd so I'll just be quiet and twiddle my thumbs in my cubicle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”