Addressing more than 1 issue in addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ck218

New

Addressing more than 1 issue in addendum

Post by ck218 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:30 am

Is it appropriate to address more than one issue in an addendum?

I have an F on my transcript, so clearly that needs to be addressed. I didn't take the class. Worst nightmare? Lol. My GPA is a 3.4. I had a lot of medical issues and family issues going on during college that definitely contributed to my lower GPA. It'd be a 3.5-3.6 without the F, so still not amazing. Not sure if I should add anything about that. Seems like it'd sound whiny. Thoughts?

Also, would I address taking the LSAT more than once in the same addendum? Do you write more than one? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Also, would medical issues be an excuse for a low score? I have hypothyroidism and severely deficient B12 levels. These things sound mild, but they impair your ability to focus and also contributed to serious insomnia (which is weird since they make you constantly exhausted). When I took the LSAT, I'd had about 12 hours of sleep in the preceding 7 days. I'm kind of scared to say that though because it makes me sound unstable. Lol. These issues are being treated now so I'm going to take the Feb LSAT and then submit apps.

Thanks for any insight.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Addressing more than 1 issue in addendum

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am

Easy solution: don't write an LSAT addendum. They're obsolete. It shows a lack of judgement that you sat for the test and/or failed to cancel, given your condition.
Don't worry. You'll be judged solely on your highest score.

What do you mean you didn't take the class you got an F in? Are you saying you just didn't show up or that the registrar made a mistake? I'm confused, which makes it sound fishy.
An addendum to address your medical issues and family issues can be acceptable, but were these issues going on throughout all of undergrad? Can you point to an upward trend in your GPA once these issues were resolved? Furthermore, if these issues aren't resolved, adcoms will be skeptical of your ability to succeed in law school.

Bottom line, your application and cycle kind of seems like a giant mess. It sounds like you're really trying to force a square into a circle here, and you're running out of time. Consider waiting until next cycle. Improve your score in February and retake in June if need be. Then really polish your applications and submit early in the fall for the following cycle.

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:51 am

I would say if you're waiting to send in apps, just worry about your Feb LSAT right now. Once you've taken that then you can figure this stuff out.

I know I didn't answer your questions but raising your score is the most important thing right now.

Good luck! :)

omegaweapon

Bronze

Post by omegaweapon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:39 am

If you literally didn't take the class you should be able to sort it out with the Registrar, and should do that before applying.

ck218

New

Post by ck218 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:11 am

Dirigo wrote:Easy solution: don't write an LSAT addendum. They're obsolete. It shows a lack of judgement that you sat for the test and/or failed to cancel, given your condition.
Don't worry. You'll be judged solely on your highest score.

What do you mean you didn't take the class you got an F in? Are you saying you just didn't show up or that the registrar made a mistake? I'm confused, which makes it sound fishy.
An addendum to address your medical issues and family issues can be acceptable, but were these issues going on throughout all of undergrad? Can you point to an upward trend in your GPA once these issues were resolved? Furthermore, if these issues aren't resolved, adcoms will be skeptical of your ability to succeed in law school.

Bottom line, your application and cycle kind of seems like a giant mess. It sounds like you're really trying to force a square into a circle here, and you're running out of time. Consider waiting until next cycle. Improve your score in February and retake in June if need be. Then really polish your applications and submit early in the fall for the following cycle.

I thought you were supposed to write an addendum addressing your LSAT score if there was a 3+ point difference between tests. So, this isn't necessary?

Also, sorry, I was trying to be concise and didn't want to annoy people with details. It's not fishy but it does make me sound irresponsible. It was a summer school class that I intended on taking. I didn't need it, but was debating changing majors. I did go to the class for the first day, but then found out my grandma was dying and went to be with her. It was a giant mess because of family drama. Because it was a 5 week summer school class, I couldn't drop it without a W. I was dumb, the counselors were incompetent and I was told that a W would add up like an F on your GPA. I'm assuming this isn't true but it was my first year of college and I didn't know anything. I enrolled in the class 2 semesters later, after I had applied to other schools to transfer. I was accepted to where I wanted to go, so I called their admissions office and they told me to drop the class because 1. I didn't need the class and they had already accepted me with the F and 2. If I got below a B, my acceptance would go up for review. I was also under the impression that my GPA would start over once I was at the new school. Clearly this has no bearing on LSAC GPA, but it wasn't true anyway because everything was based off of my cumulative GPA there too. Hope that clears that up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”