. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
badgerdude

New

Post by badgerdude » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:27 pm

Last edited by badgerdude on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Re: How much does LSAC GPA really differ from UG GPA?

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:29 pm

badgerdude wrote:How can I realistically expect my LSAC GPA to differ from my UG GPA? For the record, I went to a school that does not have -'s or +'s but instead gives an AB for 88-92% and a BC for 78-82%. Anyone have any idea how my LSAC GPA will differ from my UG GPA? Thanks
It depends on what your transcript looks like. If your school does it pretty straight forward, and you have not retaken any classes, then your LSAC GPA will be very similar. If you HAVE retaken classes for a better grade. However, based on the AB thing you listed (never heard of that in my life tbh) I expect it to be different because, for most schools, an 88 is a B. Just a B.

FWIW, my LSAC GPA is .11 lower than my UG GPA.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:31 pm

That's a weird grading system, but if you've only attended and will only ever attend one institution, your LSAC GPA and UG GPA should be the same.

badgerdude

New

Post by badgerdude » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:41 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
badgerdude wrote:How can I realistically expect my LSAC GPA to differ from my UG GPA? For the record, I went to a school that does not have -'s or +'s but instead gives an AB for 88-92% and a BC for 78-82%. Anyone have any idea how my LSAC GPA will differ from my UG GPA? Thanks
It depends on what your transcript looks like. If your school does it pretty straight forward, and you have not retaken any classes, then your LSAC GPA will be very similar. If you HAVE retaken classes for a better grade. However, based on the AB thing you listed (never heard of that in my life tbh) I expect it to be different because, for most schools, an 88 is a B. Just a B.

Well I withdrew from 1, but that was it. Do you, or does anyone for that matter, know how the AB and BC system would cause it to be different? Because as far as I know my transcript doesn't say the percent I received in a class, just the letter grade? How would LSAC know whether to count an AB as an A- or B+?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Does your school not give you a numerical GPA? LSAC will likely assign whatever number to your AB that your school assigns.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:54 pm

badgerdude wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:

Well I withdrew from 1, but that was it. Do you, or does anyone for that matter, know how the AB and BC system would cause it to be different? Because as far as I know my transcript doesn't say the percent I received in a class, just the letter grade? How would LSAC know whether to count an AB as an A- or B+?
LSAC doesn't do that, to my knowledge. Its A, B, C, D, F. Straight forward. An 80 is the same as an 89. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that appears to be how mine went. They'll get your official transcript and probably have more info on your grades than you do

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:56 pm

ilikebaseball wrote: LSAC doesn't do that, to my knowledge. Its A, B, C, D, F. Straight forward. An 80 is the same as an 89. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that appears to be how mine went. They'll get your official transcript and probably have more info on your grades than you do
They would only do that if your college graded without plusses and minuses.

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:10 pm

This calculator predicted my LSAC GPA exactly (I had only been to one institution and my UG GPA was different than my LSAC GPA). There's even an option on it for AB and BC.

Link: http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

ETA: Actually, their grading looks like AB is in-between A- and B+, and by your grading system (88-92%) that doesn't seem to match up. Sorry! Still try it out, but your best bet is when you do decide to apply, submit the transcripts as early as possible so you can troubleshoot any issues if they arise. Good luck!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:12 pm

I guess the only way to figure it out is to send it in. It takes about a week. I'm in the process of updating mine as we speak. I requested it be sent on Friday, it finally got processed and sent out yesterday, and I'm sure it'll be another 4-6 days before LSAC processes it and updates

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:13 pm

Dirigo wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote: LSAC doesn't do that, to my knowledge. Its A, B, C, D, F. Straight forward. An 80 is the same as an 89. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that appears to be how mine went. They'll get your official transcript and probably have more info on your grades than you do
They would only do that if your college graded without plusses and minuses.
LSAC recalculates on the standard A+ -> F scale with a 4.33 being an A+ and a 0 being a F.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... rade-table

Your LSAC GPA will be very close if you only took each class once and they were graded on a standard American 4.0 style scale. I got a bit burned by it because my undergrad institution didn't have A+ grades, an A was as high as you can get, so I maxed out at a 4.0 instead of a 4.33.

pjanderson5

New

Post by pjanderson5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Nice to see a fellow badger on TLS! Wisconsin's AB and BC grading didn't affect by LSAC GPA at all.

hokie6260

New

Post by hokie6260 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:49 pm

After reading this thread, I am now freaking out a little bit! My undergrad GPA right now is 3.69. All my transcripts are being sent in to LSAC right now, so hopefully I will know my LSAC GPA within a couple of weeks. My source of anxiety now lies with the whole A+ issue. When I just pulled up my unofficial transcript from my school, it doesn't show the A+'s I have received. It either shows an A or A-. But for B's it shows a B+. Is it likely that it might possibly show the A+'s on the official transcript?

I plugged my grades into that calculator a few posts up and it drastically changes my GPA. When I plugged in the A's as A+'s it gave me a 3.64. When I just plugged them in as A's it dropped all the way down to a 3.4...this is too drastic and will probably change all the schools I plan on applying to next cycle...

Anyone talk me off the ledge???

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:02 pm

hokie6260 wrote:After reading this thread, I am now freaking out a little bit! My undergrad GPA right now is 3.69. All my transcripts are being sent in to LSAC right now, so hopefully I will know my LSAC GPA within a couple of weeks. My source of anxiety now lies with the whole A+ issue. When I just pulled up my unofficial transcript from my school, it doesn't show the A+'s I have received. It either shows an A or A-. But for B's it shows a B+. Is it likely that it might possibly show the A+'s on the official transcript?

I plugged my grades into that calculator a few posts up and it drastically changes my GPA. When I plugged in the A's as A+'s it gave me a 3.64. When I just plugged them in as A's it dropped all the way down to a 3.4...this is too drastic and will probably change all the schools I plan on applying to next cycle...

This seems like something you should talk to the registrar (or maybe whoever is the sort of 'law school track' advisor) about. I know when I studied abroad I received a few letter grades that were the equivalent of A+s but because of an arbitrary scale they used when converting them, actually were put on my transcript as an A. I simply talked to them and explained that although my under graduate GPA wouldn't be affected by them (so it wasn't like I was trying to game the system by raising my class rank) but it helped with the LSAC GPA, and the were more than accommodating.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:02 pm

hokie6260 wrote:After reading this thread, I am now freaking out a little bit! My undergrad GPA right now is 3.69. All my transcripts are being sent in to LSAC right now, so hopefully I will know my LSAC GPA within a couple of weeks. My source of anxiety now lies with the whole A+ issue. When I just pulled up my unofficial transcript from my school, it doesn't show the A+'s I have received. It either shows an A or A-. But for B's it shows a B+. Is it likely that it might possibly show the A+'s on the official transcript?

Are you positive your school gives A+'s? If they do, it sounds like a registrar mistake. Call them up and figure out the deal.

hokie6260

New

Post by hokie6260 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:07 pm

I will be calling them tomorrow, so if they don't give A+ is it typical for an LSAC GPA to differ that much from UG GPA just for that reason? Will law schools even look at a UG GPA, or are they only concerned with LSAC?

DKM

New

Post by DKM » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Just google your school's grading policy. My school gives As, A-, B+, B, etc. so I can't get an A+. Sucks, but that's just the way it goes. Now if you were sure you were awarded an A+ and it is just missing on your transcript, you should contact your dean or something.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:24 pm

Yeah, there are lots of schools that award B+s but not A+s. Check with your registrar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:39 pm

Your GPA didn't drop from 3.64 to 3.4 because A+'s are only counted as A's. Come on.

hokie6260

New

Post by hokie6260 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Trust me, I hope it doesn't. That is just what it did when I used the calculator posted by someone above in this forum. Trust me, I am hoping I am completely wrong.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 pm

I'm guessing you mis-entered something. You'd need quite a few A+'s to turn to A's to have that kind of drop, and if you have quite a few A+'s you'd need some pretty bad grades outside of those A+'s in order to only have a 3.64, which would be weird for someone with so many A+'s.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”