Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Formerpremed

New

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Post by Formerpremed » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:00 am

Dirigo wrote:
mattf wrote: -Also can someone retake it if they bomb it?
Yes, you can retake it up to four times over the course of two years if I remember correctly
No. Max 3 takes within two years.

Also, don't overestimate softs, OP.
LSAT & GPA are 95%+ of what adcoms care about.
Sorry I know I sound like a total idiot but what does "softs" mean?

nlee10

Gold

Post by nlee10 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:03 am

Formerpremed wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
Yes, you can retake it up to four times over the course of two years if I remember correctly

Any activities such as club involvement/job/volunteer/internship/prestigious awards/military service/etc.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:05 am

Formerpremed wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
Softs include everything about you other than your LSAT and GPA, ranging from your race to whether or not you're an Olympian.

MidwestLifer

Bronze

Post by MidwestLifer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 am

Anyone call flame yet?

izha

New

Post by izha » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:51 am

Formerpremed wrote:
mattf wrote:
Formerpremed wrote:The premed class that I never took was a full year of Organic Chemistry along with a semester of Biochemistry because I did not want Orgo to bring my GPA down and hurt my chances at T14 law schools....I do want to add that Phys II and lab is on my course list for next semester and it is going to be really hard to drop it for another random basketweaving class because all of those are already taken at this point since classes start on the 13th.... I also want to say that I have volunteered at hospice as a hospice patient companion for 2 years now, I tutor with a nonprofit for economically disadvantaged children and this is my 2nd year of doing it, I have been on the Walk MS and American Cancer Society Relay for life Committees for over a year (This is my 2nd year of doing that). Will any of this volunteering help my law school application? What can I be doing to distinguish myself or make myself more unique?
I would try as best you could to get out of it, if you can't just try your best in it. It's hard to find things that you can do to distinguish yourself a lot to get into law school. I think you have a sold set of extra-curriculars at this point. Join a couple clubs you might be interested but otherwise designated a lot your time to studying the LSAT and keeping your GPA up .
I forgot to mention that I am VP of Psychology Club Majors and also the Refugee Outreach club treasurer and a Chicago Cares Service Leader... I don't know if that helps at all? I read Yale's entering class profile and my jaw dropped... One was an adviser to the president of Kurdistan, a lot were Teach for America workers, some were unique such as Salsa Instructors and of course, Olympic athletes! :o I don't know if I should take up salsa dancing???

A couple Questions I have:
-Will any of this rather generic volunteering help my law school application?
-What can I be doing to distinguish myself or make myself more unique?
-Planning to take Kaplan course over summer because some people suggested this... Do you recommend 1 on 1 tutoring or the classroom setting? (Note: I stink at standardized tests and I KNOW the LSAT is going to be brutal...)
-After studying my butt off for LSAT this summer, do you suggest I take the test in the fall? December? When is it best suggested to take it?
-Also can someone retake it if they bomb it?
-After I sent in my applications after the test date, if I don't get in to T14, I will cry.... but then I guess my back up options would be to continue with the premed or healthcare route and finish those classes up :/.......
Don't take salsa classes. Yale has filled those spots already.
Try pole dancing. I've been told they are in high demand at Yale. And if you change your mind and don't do law you have an exciting alternative career path.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”