6 Quick Application Questions (Plz Help; also Punch + Pie) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jw316

Silver

6 Quick Application Questions (Plz Help; also Punch + Pie)

Post by jw316 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:12 pm

In filling out apps I came across a few different things I wasn't sure how to address. Figured I'd just gather them up and "Ask TLS" all of them at the same time. So I would really appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on the following! Thank you!

1.) For the education section when it says lists academic awards/honors, the only thing I can think of is being invited to an academic fraternity and graduating with high honors (my undergrad doesn't do latin honors but I was 2nd in my major and recognized at graduation for it) No like named awards or scholarships or anything like that. How should I address that?

2.) For the employment section what would you guys consider a campus brand rep job I had during the school year? Similarly how do you categorize a 40-hr+ per week paid internship w/ overtime, had to keep track of billable hours, had to file taxes, etc. basically structured very much like a SA for the industry I was considering before law school.

3.) For those of you applying to Berkeley did you check the box "permission for student review"?

4.) For the schools that ask about high school, what did you guys put down for Major? If you don't know your high school GPA is it necessary to try to look it up/find it?

5.) How'd you answer the assistance question for the Yale app? Like I'm writing everything but obviously I'm posting on TLS for help just like you guys, asking people to proofread things, etc.

6.) Michigan asks for degree of language proficiency, is this only worth filling out if you're fluent? I speak two other languages conversationally (no I don't mean answering "hola" when someone says "hi") as a result of spending time with non-english speakers in a non-english speaking country.

griffin3575

New

Re: 6 Quick Application Questions (Plz Help; also Punch + Pie)

Post by griffin3575 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:18 pm

MORE PEOPLE WILL COME IF WE HAVE PUNCH AND PIE

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:20 pm

griffin3575 wrote:MORE PEOPLE WILL COME IF WE HAVE PUNCH AND PIE
Okay fine.

&

But seriously, I really would appreciate it if someone can shed some light on those questions! Thank you!
Last edited by jw316 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:35 pm

jw316 wrote:In filling out apps I came across a few different things I wasn't sure how to address. Figured I'd just gather them up and "Ask TLS" all of them at the same time. So I would really appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on the following! Thank you!

1.) For the education section when it says lists academic awards/honors, the only thing I can think of is being invited to an academic fraternity and graduating with high honors (my undergrad doesn't do latin honors but I was 2nd in my major and recognized at graduation for it) No like named awards or scholarships or anything like that. How should I address that?

2.) For the employment section what would you guys consider a campus brand rep job I had during the school year? Similarly how do you categorize a 40-hr+ per week paid internship w/ overtime, had to keep track of billable hours, had to file taxes, etc. basically structured very much like a SA for the industry I was considering before law school.

3.) For those of you applying to Berkeley did you check the box "permission for student review"?

4.) For the schools that ask about high school, what did you guys put down for Major? If you don't know your high school GPA is it necessary to try to look it up/find it?

5.) How'd you answer the assistance question for the Yale app? Like I'm writing everything but obviously I'm posting on TLS for help just like you guys, asking people to proofread things, etc.

6.) Michigan asks for degree of language proficiency, is this only worth filling out if you're fluent? I speak two other languages conversationally (no I don't mean answering "hola" when someone says "hi") as a result of spending time with non-english speakers in a non-english speaking country.
1) If those are the only academic honors you have then those should be the only ones you put. They aren't shabby. You might also be on Dean's List.

2) You should definitely place the campus job on the app. The stuff about your other job should be evident from your resume. Schools realize that there isn't nearly enough space on the actual employment section to provide all the necessary information.

3) Yes. No reason not to.

4) I left both those fields blank. Schools realize you didn't have a major in high school (obvious) and no one cares about high school GPA.

5) Asha answered this on her blog -- http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tions.aspx

6) I didn't apply to Mich so I'm not sure what the app is like but I would put those languages so long as you can put (conversational) in parenthesis right next to it. I'm less sure about this question though and others might have better answers.

jw316

Silver

Post by jw316 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:37 pm

axel.foley wrote:
jw316 wrote:In filling out apps I came across a few different things I wasn't sure how to address. Figured I'd just gather them up and "Ask TLS" all of them at the same time. So I would really appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on the following! Thank you!

1) If those are the only academic honors you have then those should be the only ones you put. They aren't shabby. You might also be on Dean's List.

2) You should definitely place the campus job on the app. The stuff about your other job should be evident from your resume. Schools realize that there isn't nearly enough space on the actual employment section to provide all the necessary information.

4) I left both those fields blank. Schools realize you didn't have a major in high school (obvious) and no one cares about high school GPA.

5) Asha answered this on her blog -- http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tions.aspx

6) I didn't apply to Mich so I'm not sure what the app is like but I would put those languages so long as you can put (conversational) in parenthesis right next to it. I'm less sure about this question though and others might have better answers.
Thank you! Two follow up questions.

Re: #1 for Dean's List in terms of dates I wasn't eligible my last year because I just didn't have that many credits left to take (could have graduated early but didn't) but it's clear if you look at my GPA/transcript that my grades were the same and I would've been on DL had I taken more credits...but that was pointless. So should I just put the 3 years that I was on it and assume they're not going to say "what happened that last year?"

Re: #2, should I place/write the internship in that section as well when it asks you to fill in the bubble/talk about full time WE and how much? Or just list it on my resume and only fill in the campus rep job?
Last edited by jw316 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:41 pm

jw316 wrote:
axel.foley wrote:

Thank you! One follow up re: #2, should I place/write the internship in that section as well when it asks you to fill in the bubble/talk about full time WE and how much? Or just list it on my resume and only fill in the campus rep job?
It should definitely appear on your actual app somewhere. My two cents is that if the internship was while you were still in college it's not full time work experience. But if you feel unsure you could ask Mike and Karen in their thread!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”