How many apps is too many? 37? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Life2good893

Bronze

Re: How many apps is too many? 37?

Post by Life2good893 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:11 am

ilikebaseball wrote:
georgetownhopeful893 wrote:I'm at around 20 apps and that's probably where I'll stay. Btw, not that it's relevant but I'm a woman, not a guy ;)

On another note, who thinks its preferable to do mid T-14 (like NYU of U Penn) at sticker price versus low T-14 (Cornell, Georgetown) at a small (let's say 60K total for argument's sake) scholarship?
depends what you wanna do. But sticker is almost never a desirable option.

Also, why does the bolded matter to how many apps you send?

Someone referred to me as a guy earlier and I think it's funny that our first assumption for posts without avatars is that the poster is a guy. I do it too and apparently it's something deeply ingrained in our psychology from a young age. Most people have trouble solving this riddle out of context:

A father and son have a car accident and are both badly hurt. They are both taken to separate hospitals. When the boy is taken in for an operation, the surgeon (doctor) says 'I can not do the surgery because this is my son'. How is this possible?

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:15 am

because its not necessarily the father's son?

Life2good893

Bronze

Post by Life2good893 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:16 am

ilikebaseball wrote:because its not necessarily the father's son?
The surgeon is his mother. But we assume the surgeon is a man. And so that possibility doesn't occur to us.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:18 am

Get it together.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:19 am

Moneytrees wrote:
Get it together.
i swear to christ I thought the (_) after surgeon implied that it was a man. I didn't even read what was in it. I just assumed "(male)"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:26 am

georgetownhopeful893 wrote:
The surgeon is his mother. But we assume the surgeon is a man. And so that possibility doesn't occur to us.
I get your point but it wasn't specific enough, the son and father could just as easily not be related. You never said father and his son.

Life2good893

Bronze

Post by Life2good893 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:26 am

ilikebaseball wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
Get it together.
i swear to christ I thought the (_) after surgeon implied that it was a man. I didn't even read what was in it. I just assumed "(male)"
It seems like what just played out is the perfect example of how we usually assume that certain professions of people are male. It's not that we are sexist or misogynistic, it's literally something we systematically absorbed as children. If you are the typical person, you'd have probably assumed that the (_) after nurse implied female and we could do the opposite riddle:

A mother and son have a car accident and are both badly hurt. They are both taken to separate hospitals. When the boy is taken in for an operation, the assisting nurse says 'I can not do the surgery because this is my son'. How is this possible?

Now we assume the nurse is the mother, rather than the father.

I find this to be a fascinating bit of psychology.

Life2good893

Bronze

Post by Life2good893 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:28 am

RCSOB657 wrote:
georgetownhopeful893 wrote:
I get your point but it wasn't specific enough, the son and father could just as easily not be related. You never said father and his son.
haha LSAT logic. Every little word counts. Riddle will be amended in future use to include "His son"

hill1334

New

Post by hill1334 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:30 am

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:I can't imagine why many people would need to submit more than 10 (and most people could do less)-- unless someone is a super-splitter, has weird C&F issues, or something else that could cause a very unpredictable cycle. For 170/3.64 guy, I would say whatever T14's you are remotely interested in and the Cali ones just outside of the T14 should be sufficient. No need for that long list of strong regional safeties.
I think it can be fairly reasonable for someone with around a 170 LSAT and 3.7 GPA to apply to more than just 10. With such stats, it would be make sense to apply to the T14, excluding HYS and maybe Berkley, as well as a couple others outside of the T14, such as Vanderbilt, WashU, and UTexas. Of course, I have a vested in interest in the above being reasonable, since I did so with somewhat similar stats, haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”