CC transfer with low GPA - what LSAT do I need for T14? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

CC transfer with low GPA - what LSAT do I need for T14?

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:17 am

I'm in a special case (not good). Community College transfer to UCLA as undergrad. Not sure if LSAC looks down on that factor.

Academic Stats:
Community College GPA: 3.85
UCLA GPA: 3.2 (obviously a big drop after the transfer)
Culmulative undergrad GPA: around 3.4 with a downward trend.
Major: Economics
Race: Asian (Not sure if this is URM in the law field? I know it definitely isn't at b-schools)

Graduated June 2009. Passed the CPA license since, started out at Big4, transferred to in-house accounting with a steady progress in salary and responsibility.

Age 27, will be applying next year at the age of 28.

Some questions:

1. I know 28 is slightly above the average age to be applying to Law school. I will be 6 years out from college by the time I apply. Is this a big enough time gap where my sub-par undergrad GPA will matter less than my soft factors?

2. What LSAT score should I aim for in order to get into T14 (or even Top20)? (Obviously I should be aiming for the highest possible, but what is the bare minimum that I should get to have a decent shot). My dream school is NU.

3. Any other schools besides NU that are generous toward the splitters (assuming and god I hope I do that I get a relatively good LSAT) and strong soft factors?

KMart

Gold

Re: CC transfer with low GPA - what LSAT do I need for T14?

Post by KMart » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:42 am

1. Yes, the time gap helps and 3.4 isn't bad.
2. 171 maybe as a bare minimum.
3. I'm not sure here...WE helps in general, though. The distance between your GPA and the WE accumulated since then are in your favor.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:43 am

a 170 would likely land you some t14s. Anything less ehh

However, your current job sounds pretty damn solid. In house accounting job with a few years under your belt? Really doesn't sound that bad. Perhaps boring but everything is boring.

I would at least pursue an mba instead of a jd. Is there something I'm missing here?

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:53 am

FYI, OP -- only Mexican-Americans, Puerto Rican-Americans, Native Americans and African-Americans are considered URM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”