UGPA vs. LSDAS GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clarified_butter

Bronze

Re: UGPA vs. LSDAS GPA

Post by clarified_butter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:10 am

Budd Dwyer avatar?
JJM84 wrote:
USC2009 wrote:I can't believe they count A+s as 4.33

My school doesn't offer them, and I'd imagine it would give someone a huge advantage if they went to a school where an A+ was a grade (unless it balanced out with a curve against the other students there or something).

Thanks for the GPA calculator. I'm gonna have to see what I get.

EDIT: Yeah, 3.63. More or less what I expected. If I get all As and take a full course load next semester, I could have a 3.68.

Huge advantage is an understatement in my case....My school's grade scale is ridiculous to say the least. a 91 will land you a 3.5.

So if you do manage to get a 4.0 at my school, It would be the same as getting a 4.33 at some other schools on the LSDAS scale.

Lacklusterlaw

New

Post by Lacklusterlaw » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:59 am

I'm a little confused. Are they assessing this info strictly from the transcripts we turn in? When people take a class twice (fail, then retake) I wouldn't imagine both grades are reflected on their transcript.

I ask because I took a semester off after initially taking some classes. I dropped them well before the drop date. My paperwork got magically lost and later when I looked online I had an incomplete and three Fs. I called up administration, filled out a few papers, and apparently that was all cleared from my record. I'm a little concerned, now. Any info on how corrections are managed? Thanks guys.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:01 am

Lacklusterlaw wrote:I'm a little confused. Are they assessing this info strictly from the transcripts we turn in? When people take a class twice (fail, then retake) I wouldn't imagine both grades are reflected on their transcript.

I ask because I took a semester off after initially taking some classes. I dropped them well before the drop date. My paperwork got magically lost and later when I looked online I had an incomplete and three Fs. I called up administration, filled out a few papers, and apparently that was all cleared from my record. I'm a little concerned, now. Any info on how corrections are managed? Thanks guys.
I had my transcript corrected as well, since there were a couple of incorrect grades. Lsac only looks at the transcript. If your registrars office fixed the information on the transcript, lsac will only see that. I'd call the registrars office just to confirm that the changes were made.
But in normal cases, they count all grades, even classes taken twice.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:54 pm

In brief:

a (-) counts as (X-1).666. IE, an A- is counted as 3.666, a B- is 2.666

a (+) counts as (X).333. IE, a B+ (no such thing as A+ at my school) would be a 3.333.

Is this correct?

At my UG institution, UNC, a (-) is (X-1).700, so an A- is 3.700, and a (+) is (X).300. A B+ at UNC counts as 3.300.

So in terms of LSDAS GPA, every X- on my transcript hurts me and every X+ on my transcript helps me.

Is this correct?

EDIT: I've also heard that they go back and discount all PE etc, that they view as unimportant. Is there any truth to this?

Nate895

New

Post by Nate895 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:40 am

As far as the repeat counting policy: LSAC says it normally counts them, but that it does not count them if they don't count on your transcript, which helps if you go to a school like mine that goes back and edits your transcript for repeated classes to show up as a non-punitive R.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”