Connecting my major to law school.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlexandraHope

Bronze

Connecting my major to law school....

Post by AlexandraHope » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:11 pm

I am majoring in Economics and International Business with a minor in a foreign language. Being that I am starting to prepare for law school next year, one of the constant questions that keeps popping up in my head is: "Why did you choose this major?" and "How will this prepare you for law school?" I don't want to say the truth because the truth is it just kinda fell into my lap and I honestly don't know we will have to see. Does anybody have a more concrete suggestion on things I can say?

enteringthemaze

New

Re: Connecting my major to law school....

Post by enteringthemaze » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:18 pm

AlexandraHope wrote:I am majoring in Economics and International Business with a minor in a foreign language. Being that I am starting to prepare for law school next year, one of the constant questions that keeps popping up in my head is: "Why did you choose this major?" and "How will this prepare you for law school?" I don't want to say the truth because the truth is it just kinda fell into my lap and I honestly don't know we will have to see. Does anybody have a more concrete suggestion on things I can say?
Econ is not an unusual major for law school. Nobody will ask and if they do for some reason say it required critical thinking, extensive reading/writing, etc and that you were interested in it.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:20 pm

You chose this major because you want a job / lack imagination
You are going to law school because you want a job / lack imagination

Simple

AlexandraHope

Bronze

Post by AlexandraHope » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:30 pm

enteringthemaze wrote:
AlexandraHope wrote:I am majoring in Economics and International Business with a minor in a foreign language. Being that I am starting to prepare for law school next year, one of the constant questions that keeps popping up in my head is: "Why did you choose this major?" and "How will this prepare you for law school?" I don't want to say the truth because the truth is it just kinda fell into my lap and I honestly don't know we will have to see. Does anybody have a more concrete suggestion on things I can say?
Econ is not an unusual major for law school. Nobody will ask and if they do for some reason say it required critical thinking, extensive reading/writing, etc and that you were interested in it.
Thanks. I guess I always get a similar question but I guess it is because my school offers several different paths to major in economics.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Don't stress over this question at all. I've gotten asked about it in a couple of interviews but it's mostly been because the interviewer wants to know why X major interested me. You can have fun with it and not give a stiff answer. For mine, I just explained why I first got interested in the major and talked about the skills I thought I gained from it, i.e. writing, reading dense material, ability to see the bigger picture as well as small details, etc. etc.

They're not looking for a super awesome answer. They just want to make sure that you can form coherent thoughts and see if they can learn anything about your interests in the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”