LOR from prof at another university? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawstud24

New

LOR from prof at another university?

Post by lawstud24 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:36 pm

I don't know the profs at my uni very well, since our classes are all 300+ students and I don't go to office hours. However, I am planning to do research this summer for a prof at a university in my hometown. From what I've seen, law school admission websites don't specifically say that the prof has to be from my university, but they do say that they should have known me for a "sufficient" amount of time and be able to evaluate me accurately.

Do you think that a prof from another university, who I only work with for 4 months, would be acceptable as a recommender? Or should I focus on trying to get to know the profs at my university better? With the latter, do you guys have any tips on building relationships with professors? I'm somewhat shy and awkward around professors (blame the hierarchical culture I grew up in), but I am willing to work at it if you guys think this would be a better option than getting the LOR from the prof at a different uni.

Thanks in advance!

hillz

Silver

Re: LOR from prof at another university?

Post by hillz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:01 pm

If you're applying KJD, I would include this letter with 2 other letters from profs who have taught you. The problem isn't that they teach at another school, it's that this type of letter is more like an employer letter and Ad Comms want to know what you were like as a student. If you're taking classes with that prof while doing research, then you can substitute it for one of the 2 academic letters.

You should definitely try to build relationships with the profs at your school while you are still there. Start out at the beginning of the semester by going during office hours and introducing yourself/asking questions about the specific subject matter or about how you can do well in their class. Most profs are so happy just to have someone visit during office hours that they will be glad you have stopped by. You could also see if there are any events/club stuff/research opportunities with a specific professor that you already have for a class because then you can strengthen your relationship outside of the classroom even more. Generally, profs want you to do well and will be more than happy to help you. Just show that you are interested in them long before you need a LOR.

All in all, don't stress about the LORs since you have a while, but begin building relationships while you can.

lawstud24

New

Re: LOR from prof at another university?

Post by lawstud24 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks hillz, that makes a lot of sense. I'll keep your tips in mind!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”