Freaking out about LOR Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Yeezus

Bronze

Freaking out about LOR

Post by Yeezus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:38 pm

I have one LOR that I still need from a professor, who happily agreed to write one for me in May. I've sent him 4 reminders in the past 1.5 months, and he has yet to respond. I would visit in person, but I'm several states away. What should I do? Is this a common occurrence? Is it too late to ask for a letter from someone else? I feel like I'm kind of screwed if I can't get one from him because I don't really have any other professors who know me well.

GreenEggs

Gold

Re: Freaking out about LOR

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Do you know anyone still at the university who knows him? Another student? Not someone totally random. Was in a similar situation and a friend who took the same course with me stopped by to see said professor and he got the letter out the next week. Otherwise ask someone now anyway to write one
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Can you can call the dept. office and make sure he hasn't moved/died/etc. and make sure you have the best contact info for him?

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:56 pm

hillz wrote:Can you can call the dept. office and make sure he hasn't moved/died/etc. and make sure you have the best contact info for him?
He's definitely teaching this semester, but I might have to call the dept. office and leave a message for him. I've tried calling him in his office, but someone else picked up and said I had the wrong number.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:01 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:
hillz wrote:Can you can call the dept. office and make sure he hasn't moved/died/etc. and make sure you have the best contact info for him?
He's definitely teaching this semester, but I might have to call the dept. office and leave a message for him. I've tried calling him in his office, but someone else picked up and said I had the wrong number.
Def try that. Is there anyone else who might be able to write a letter if you meet with them? I'd try to contact someone asap because it isn't too late.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:07 pm

hillz wrote:
YeezusPiece wrote:
Def try that. Is there anyone else who might be able to write a letter if you meet with them? I'd try to contact someone asap because it isn't too late.
It's a long shot, but I have a couple professors who I only took 1 class with and got A/A-. It sucks that I can't meet with them since I went to school in Illinois and currently live in Georgia.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:09 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:
hillz wrote:
YeezusPiece wrote:
It's a long shot, but I have a couple professors who I only took 1 class with and got A/A-. It sucks that I can't meet with them since I went to school in Illinois and currently live in Georgia.
Send them all relevant info (resume, transcript, why you want to go to law school etc.) and then tell them that you would be happy to talk on the phone if they want to talk further. Usually if a student is super polite, I think the prof is more willing to help. Just don't rush them and I bet one of the two will write you one.

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:16 pm

It's probably a bad idea to tell them that I'm asking because one of my recommenders is being flaky, right?

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:18 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:It's probably a bad idea to tell them that I'm asking because one of my recommenders is being flaky, right?
Hmm. I probably wouldn't and would just act like everything is normal. I had a similar situation happen with one of my profs who I didn't know quite as well and she ended up being super nice about it, even though I had been scared to ask her.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

abasba32

New

Post by abasba32 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:42 pm

just relax. everything will go ok.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Definitely pursue a backup letter now just incase this guy completely flakes.
Even a generic one will be good because you can finally hit submit (and because LOR's are way more trouble than they actually matter).

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:53 pm

So I found a potential backup recommender today. The thing is, I had her 3 years ago in an online course. She said she remembered me (surprisingly) and that she'll do her best if asked, but she can't really talk about my character or personality. This type of LOR won't really hurt my application too much, right? Hopefully my first recommender gets back to me so this won't be an issue, but there's a real possibility this becomes my 2nd LOR.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:27 am

YeezusPiece wrote:So I found a potential backup recommender today. The thing is, I had her 3 years ago in an online course. She said she remembered me (surprisingly) and that she'll do her best if asked, but she can't really talk about my character or personality. This type of LOR won't really hurt my application too much, right? Hopefully my first recommender gets back to me so this won't be an issue, but there's a real possibility this becomes my 2nd LOR.
No. Get her to write it. Generic is better than nothing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”