Still waiting for admission decisions... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Keystone_Applicant

New

Still waiting for admission decisions...

Post by Keystone_Applicant » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:36 pm

I applied to most of my schools towards the end of October and next week will be two months since I applied to most of my schools. Most of the schools give a time frame to up to 8 weeks to hear back from them. Should I give them a call after the 8 weeks has passed? Is it strange that I haven't heard back from anywhere yet? I am getting a little nervous and worried about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

KMart

Gold

Re: Still waiting for admission decisions...

Post by KMart » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:37 pm

We need more information to give you a better answer (your numbers, softs, and schools applied to), but don't start worrying yet. These things take awhile.

Keystone_Applicant

New

Post by Keystone_Applicant » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:41 pm

Sorry about that...

LSAT -- 142 :oops:
GPA -- 3.30 (3.39)

Northern Illinois University

John Marshall - Chicago

Widener - Delaware

New York Law School -- Reach...I know.

Western New England

University of Memphis -- Another reach :roll:

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:11 pm

I feel like someone has to mention (although hopefully you have seen this many times already) that you should seriously consider not going to law school with those numbers? Are you aware of the employment prospects of the schools you have applied to? Do you have a plan of how to pay off your debt (you shouldn't be expecting any money, so about 250,000+) if you do not get a good legal job? Hell, do you have a plan of how to pay off your debt if you do get a good legal job?

Do you have any reason to believe you will get a good job after graduating (and by that I mean you essentially have a job offer already due to connections)?

I know this sounds harsh, but if you legitimately cannot answer these questions with strong responses, you probably should not be attending law school. I would really suggest talking to someone you know (Friend/family, but not too close that they would lie). Lay out for them the financial situation/employment prospects, and try to convince them that you are making the right choice.

for reference:

Northern Illinois University, 223,000 dollars in debt, with a 50% chance of employment
John Marshall - Chicago, 277,000 dollars in debt, with a 49% chance of employment
Widener - Delaware, 230,000 dollars in debt, with a 48% chance of employment
New York Law School, 273,000 dollars in debt, with a 44% chance of employment
Western New England, 230,000 dollars in debt with a 33% (yeah, 1/3) chance of employment
University of Memphis. 209,000 dollars in debt, with a 60% chance of employment. This is the only one that MIGHT be worth it, and I really do not see you getting admitted.

ETA, it is not like those 50% chance at jobs are likely to be big money either.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Auxilio wrote: Northern Illinois University, 223,000 dollars in debt, with a 50% chance of employment
John Marshall - Chicago, 277,000 dollars in debt, with a 49% chance of employment
Widener - Delaware, 230,000 dollars in debt, with a 48% chance of employment
New York Law School, 273,000 dollars in debt, with a 44% chance of employment
Western New England, 230,000 dollars in debt with a 33% (yeah, 1/3) chance of employment
University of Memphis. 209,000 dollars in debt, with a 60% chance of employment. This is the only one that MIGHT be worth it, and I really do not see you getting admitted.

ETA, it is not like those 50% chance at jobs are likely to be big money either.
These numbers should really scare you off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:21 am

Keystone_Applicant wrote: LSAT -- 142 :oops:
GPA -- 3.30 (3.39)

John Marshall - Chicago
Widener - Delaware
Western New England
Good god. Do not under any circumstance go to law school this cycle. I would advise you to retake but the fact that you applied with a 142 means you're just as likely to apply with a 152--which is ever worse because then you'll be accepted to these horrendous schools. The best thing that can happen to you is getting denied across the board. Don't ruin your life this way.

Meow Meowsworth

New

Post by Meow Meowsworth » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:32 am

Dirigo wrote:
Keystone_Applicant wrote: LSAT -- 142 :oops:
GPA -- 3.30 (3.39)

John Marshall - Chicago
Widener - Delaware
Western New England
Good god. Do not under any circumstance go to law school this cycle. I would advise you to retake but the fact that you applied with a 142 means you're just as likely to apply with a 152--which is ever worse because then you'll be accepted to these horrendous schools. The best thing that can happen to you is getting denied across the board. Don't ruin your life this way.

ku546

Bronze

Post by ku546 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:16 am

Keystone_Applicant wrote:I applied to most of my schools towards the end of October and next week will be two months since I applied to most of my schools. Most of the schools give a time frame to up to 8 weeks to hear back from them. Should I give them a call after the 8 weeks has passed? Is it strange that I haven't heard back from anywhere yet? I am getting a little nervous and worried about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you already received confirmation that they have gotten all of your materials and your file is being reviewed, I wouldn't bug them. Given your scores, no offense, I wouldn't be surprised if they were holding off until they see what the applicant pool is going to be like in January which is when 50% of applicants have submitted their apps. Good luck.

number50lq

New

Post by number50lq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Mod edit: a google doc link is not indicative of legitimacy, so I shall call it SPAM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”