False consciousness / alienation / Transparency 2.0 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Businesslady

Silver

Re: False consciousness / alienation / Transparency 2.0

Post by Businesslady » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:03 pm

Not very much if it's just about grain. Reading some Stiglitz (1994) on the Lange model and I don't know if certain parts of the critique apply to basic, relatively fungible, life-necessity-type goods. It's also very pre-Internet/MIT Billion Prices Project-type aggregations/etc. I'm curious about civilian government logistics apart from, like, the Post Office. Is the USPS secretly potentially awesome? I don't like going there but I enjoy receiving items I select online

Businesslady

Silver

Post by Businesslady » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:15 am

Richard Posner wrote:Until last September, when the banking industry came crashing down and depression loomed for the first time in my lifetime, I had never thought to read The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money, despite my interest in economics. I knew that John Maynard Keynes was widely considered the greatest economist of the twentieth century, and I knew of his book's extraordinary reputation. But it was a work of macroeconomics--the study of economy-wide phenomena such as inflation, the business cycle, and economic growth. Law, and hence the economics of law--my academic field--did not figure largely in the regulation of those phenomena. And I had heard that it was a very difficult book, which I assumed meant it was heavily mathematical; and that Keynes was an old-fashioned liberal, who believed in controlling business ups and downs through heavy-handed fiscal policy (taxing, borrowing, spending); and that the book had been refuted by Milton Friedman, though he admired Keynes's earlier work on monetarism.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/how- ... n?page=0,1

"On the other hand, stare decisis, so I guess it really sucks for you that I heard this book had math in it, lifeworld!"

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:34 am

Businesslady wrote:
Richard Posner wrote:Until last September, when the banking industry came crashing down and depression loomed for the first time in my lifetime, I had never thought to read The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money, despite my interest in economics. I knew that John Maynard Keynes was widely considered the greatest economist of the twentieth century, and I knew of his book's extraordinary reputation. But it was a work of macroeconomics--the study of economy-wide phenomena such as inflation, the business cycle, and economic growth. Law, and hence the economics of law--my academic field--did not figure largely in the regulation of those phenomena. And I had heard that it was a very difficult book, which I assumed meant it was heavily mathematical; and that Keynes was an old-fashioned liberal, who believed in controlling business ups and downs through heavy-handed fiscal policy (taxing, borrowing, spending); and that the book had been refuted by Milton Friedman, though he admired Keynes's earlier work on monetarism.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/how- ... n?page=0,1

"On the other hand, stare decisis, so I guess it really sucks for you that I heard this book had math in it, lifeworld!"
:lol:

Businesslady

Silver

Post by Businesslady » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:57 am

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/12/politics/ ... =allsearch

"James Madison never read George Akerlof and they didn't have cars in 1789 anyway, so why should we care about the market for lemons? Also, feudalism rules"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:07 am

J3987

Silver

Post by J3987 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:16 pm

You might enjoy this take on The Maldive Shark
One potential reading that suggests itself to me is that “The Maldive Shark” affords an eerily prescient way of understanding the banality of evil in general and the perils of capitalism in particular; late capitalism can be a nightmare even in its senescence. The pilot fish “never partake of the treat” that is the shark’s enormous feast, contenting themselves, rather, with tiny scraps in the “port of serrated teeth.” Meanwhile, the shark does not even enjoy the spoils of his dominion—a “Pale ravener of horrible meat.” The pilot fish can be read as managerial workers in the way they actively lead the shark to its prey, selling out other defenseless fish, acting in sympathy with the predatory institution instead of with their fellow smaller fry.
But whether or not you agree with this reading, “The Maldive Shark” is effective because it doesn’t require or insist on any single interpretation. It can be taken simply as a depiction of a shark that gives the reader an uh-oh feeling—but then leads us to interrogate that feeling. Perhaps the creepiest thing about it is that there is no thought being exercised by anyone, shark or pilot fish, and certainly no imagination. None of the fish are aware of their situation with respect to other fish. And in the end, the shark is not horrible—the meat is horrible. The anxiety at the root of the poem is not so much what jerks the pilot fish are or how ghastly the shark is, but that everybody involved is merely meat, behaving mechanistically without any self-knowledge. And the unasked question is: are we, the readers, any better?
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/248828

Businesslady

Silver

Post by Businesslady » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:41 am

I always liked Gramsci but it's been a while. Nature is pretty gross. My favorite underwater social commentary simile in verse is "It deepens like a coastal shelf."

e: Still on topic, actually

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:38 am

"Nothing on Earth more Evil
than a human educated as 1,
when composed of opposites
that cancel out as an entity."
In fact, man is the only 1 Evil,
and will soon erase himself by
ignoring Cubic 4 Day Creation.
If a Man cannot tear a page
from the bible and burn it -
then he cannot be a scientist,
or participate in Symposium -
to measure Cubing of Earth
with Cubic intelligence wiser
than any man or god known.
Educators have destroyed the
human analytical brain to a
single perspective, in spite of
all creation within Universe
being based upon opposites,
binaries & antipodes, including
Sun/Earth binary relative to the

human male/female binary. No
ancient insignificant dead 1 Jew
godism can match or exceed the
enormity of the Sun/Earth
Binary. His heart is not big
enough for sharing with the
vastness of created opposites.
1 has no heart beat or breath,
constituting death of opposites.
God in Human form has human

limits as body controls activity.
You are taught Evil, You act
Evil, You are the Evil on Earth.
Only your comprehending the
Divinity of Cubic Creation will
your soul be saved from your
created hell on Earth - induced
by your ignoring the existing
4 corner harmonic simultaneous
4 Days rotating in a single cycle
of the Earth sphere. Religious/
Academic Pedants cannot allow
4 Days that contradict 1Day 1God.
Educators destroy your brain,
but you don't know, so why care?

Creation ocurrs via opposites,
but Religious/Academia pedants
suppress it teaching Satanic One.

After 30 years of research, I now
possess the Order of Harmonic
Antipodal Cubic Divinity Life -
too large for physical form, but
Binary Spirit of the masculinity
Sun & feminity Earth Antipodes.
ONEism is demonic Death Math.
I have so much to teach you, but
you ignore me you evil asses.
You will recognize 4 corner Days
or incur Easter Island Ending.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

J3987

Silver

Post by J3987 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Businesslady wrote:I always liked Gramsci but it's been a while. Nature is pretty gross. My favorite underwater social commentary simile in verse is "It deepens like a coastal shelf."

e: Still on topic, actually

I don't perceive how this is on-topic and I don't want to distract the thread, but my first reaction to this poem is "but cognitive behavioral therapy exists and you can learn to be a good parent, besides don't people react against their parents' flaws sometimes as opposed to emulate and internalize them? What about the super-cycle of generational identity shifts? Does rapid cultural progress make this narrative obsolete? Adoption, etc etc" but I understand how anyone could write a poem like this when they're in a mood. It does approach Schopenhauer/Nietzchean/Smaugian levels of defeatism though. I might be missing the point here. In any case, solid underwater social commentary example.

Businesslady

Silver

Post by Businesslady » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:03 am

Oh, I mean, the last two lines are the only ones in imperative tense, and they're, like a joke. The first ten are declarative.
Philip Larkin wrote:I feel the only thing you can do about life is to preserve it, by art if you're an artist, by children if you're not.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 am

In 1884, meridian time personnel met
in Washington to change Earth time.
First words said was that only 1 day
could be used on Earth to not change
the 1 day bible. So they applied the 1
day and ignored the other 3 days.
The bible time was wrong then and it
proved wrong today. This a major lie
has so much evil feed from it's wrong.
No man on Earth has no belly-button,
it proves every believer on Earth a liar.

Children will be blessed for
Killing Of Educated Adults
Who Ignore 4 Simultaneous
Days Same Earth Rotation.
Practicing Evil ONEness -
Upon Earth Of Quadrants.
Evil Adult Crime VS Youth.
Supports Lie Of Integration.
1 Educated Are Most Dumb.
Not 1 Human Except Dead 1.
Man Is Paired, 2 Half 4 Self.
1 of God Is Only 1/4 Of God.
Bible A Lie & Word Is Lies.
Navel Connects 4 Corner 4s.
God Is Born Of A Mother –
She Left Belly B. Signature.
Every Priest Has Ma Sign
But Lies To Honor Queers.
Belly B. Proves 4 Corners.

Your dirty lying teachers
use only the midnight to
midnight 1 day (ignoring
3 other days) Time to not
foul (already wrong) bible
time. Lie that corrupts earth
you educated stupid fools.

GoBelly-Button Logic Works.

When Do Teenagers Die?
Adults Eat Teenagers Alive,
No Record Of Their Death.
Father Son Image, Not Gods.
Every Man Born Of Woman.

Belly-Button Is the Signature
Of Your Personal Creator -
I Believe Her Name Mama.

Pastor Told His Flock That
God Created All Of Them -
Truth Was That They All had
Mama Made Belly Buttons,
Church Was Full Of Liars.

Earth Has 4 Days In Same 24 Hrs., 1 Day God Was Wrong.
Einstein Was ONEist Brain.

Try My Belly-Button Logic.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:43 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Businesslady

Silver

Post by Businesslady » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:28 am

I didn't even get very Time Cube ITT and those aren't even the parts of Time Cube that deal with the subject matter

e: Just because I cited to academic sociologists quoted in the Guardian about psyops doesn't make this a Time Cube issue

So suck it, chimp. This is a rigorous undertaking.

All I'm saying is that the academic-industrial complex and disingenuous federalism, as filtered through large law firms, institutional apathy, and corruption of various levels of intentionality, are constructively feudal, and may lead to catastrophic environmental and societal collapse if we don't learn from, for example, the evolution of pre-Great Society black nationalism. I'm also saying that law school admissions are hostile to the lifeworld by design and that the Deleuzian concepts of the war machine/State/nomadology and even smooth/striated space are a good way to think about alienation and contempt for the material world as filtered through this website, and that Althusser on Lenin is essential reading for anyone wondering how formalism and adult children can fuck everything up so badly.

I don't know where these people get Time Cube from this very straightforward and totally falsifiable analysis.

It's really very simple. The industrial revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. (Just kidding. It's all a reptilian illusion)

https://ia701204.us.archive.org/34/item ... dicals.pdf

So maybe instead of all this Time Cube business we can talk about making a spreadsheet calculating which schools talked the most about Brown/Garner relative to actually doing anything about the underlying structural problems through the mechanisms readily available to them assuming a willingness to not be giant rent-seekers for like 5 seconds. Empirical methods, etc.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Businesslady wrote: suck it, chimp. This is a rigorous undertaking.
Cool your balls. This thread blows.

J3987

Silver

Post by J3987 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:01 pm

chimp wrote:Cool your balls. This thread blows.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:49 am

chimp wrote:
Businesslady wrote: suck it, chimp. This is a rigorous undertaking.
Cool your balls. This thread blows.
Disagree. I think BL might be a genius. She just needs to get more organized. Like find a central thesis, and gear her evidence towards supporting that 1 thing in a way us feeble mind folk can understand.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:08 am

Can someone tell me if this thread is worth my time to read through? Is this a thread that I should direct people who need RC practice, or is this just a bunch of 0L's pontificating drivel.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:59 am

If it's sincere, it's feral, but worth reading given the unique and frankly well-needed framework.

Mr Law

New

Post by Mr Law » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:55 am

L. M. A. O. OP is clearly frustrated, about what is up for discussion. She is most likely a failed 0L that had her hopes and dreams crushed by the LSAT and now hangs around TLS and tries to make herself feel better by pooping on the rest of us. Her username indicates she sees herself as a professional. Her post history indicates she sees herself as an intellectual. As a long time lurker, first time poster, I can say I've seen hundreds of people like her come through here. She got crushed by the LSAT and now her HYS dreams are turning into TTTT realities. It makes her sick to know that people she views as being inferior to her will go on to better schools and have better career options. Really funny and entertaining to watch. Please tell us more Businesslady.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stellina

New

Post by stellina » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Mr Law is clearly another ratfukr alt. Striver trash false flag operation.

utahraptor

Gold

Post by utahraptor » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:55 pm

stellina wrote:Mr Law is clearly another ratfukr alt. Striver trash false flag operation.
Mr Law does have a nice play with business lady

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:30 am

BL, thank you for your posts, I have enjoyed them. On a very basic level you seem to respond to the simple observations of false consciousness/alienation (or, more specifically, the feeling that lays a foundation for those concepts) with optimism (you seek to build larger frameworks, find a broader range of examples to confirm hypotheses, etc). Why do you think you respond that way and not more pessimistically(anomie and/or resignation and/or self-destruction)?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:46 am

polkij333 wrote:BL, thank you for your posts, I have enjoyed them. On a very basic level you seem to respond to the simple observations of false consciousness/alienation (or, more specifically, the feeling that lays a foundation for those concepts) with optimism (you seek to build larger frameworks, find a broader range of examples to confirm hypotheses, etc). Why do you think you respond that way and not more pessimistically(anomie and/or resignation and/or self-destruction)?
My guess is because it's contrary to the masses (on TLS), which allows BL to come off as edgy

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”