Taking a year off between cc and four year university Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blondieprincess

New

Taking a year off between cc and four year university

Post by blondieprincess » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi everyone.

So I just graduated from high school back in May. The high school I went to though allowed students to get their AA at the same time as their high school diploma, so that's what I did. I was supposed to start at a Top 50 private university in August, but my financial aid got messed up so I couldn't attend. Now, I am taking two classes at the same cc that I got the AA from. In January, I can either start at a university that is ranked in the high 100's, or I can wait until Fall 2015 to start at a Top 50 public school. I would like to start at the Top 50 public university, mainly because they have sent many students to T14 law schools. If I wait to start at that school, will it look bad that I took a year off and only took two classes during that time? Thanks.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Taking a year off between cc and four year university

Post by Rigo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:44 pm

No it will not look bad.
Also, your undergrad school doesn't matter for LS admissions. Just focus on getting the highest GPA possible no matter where you go.

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Dirigo wrote:No it will not look bad.
Also, your undergrad school doesn't matter for LS admissions. Just focus on getting the highest GPA possible no matter where you go.
+1. Do whatever is best for you. If it's more financially smart to go to the former than wait on the latter, then do it. Dirigo is right.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:59 pm

mist4bison wrote: 3) The ugrad you go to isn't really a factor as much as uGPA/LSAT. The statistics probably show the top school having sent more people because there are more people from those schools that apply.
The top undergrad schools sending more graduates into law schools is merely a correlation. Smart & hardworking people are more likely to do better on the LSAT, and thus have more success in being accepted into top law schools. They're not accepted BECAUSE they go to those prestigious undergrads.

I'm actually happy I didn't go to the top liberal arts schools I got accepted to and instead went the big state school route. It probably would have been a great shock to my young self since my high school wasn't especially rigorous. My friends who went to ivy league schools were ill prepared and their GPA's suffered.
Meanwhile, I excelled at the school I chose and I'm--in retrospect--so thankful I didn't attend a more expensive and prestigious school.
Undergrad really doesn't matter apart from that GPA.

If you're dead set on law school, go where most (or all) of your credits transfer (probably a state school) and kick ass. If you're merely thinking about law school, go to an undergrad that will allow you to explore your interests. You may find another passion and follow a different career path.

Goodluck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:02 pm

Regardless of what is best for law school, go to the best undergrad you can. Hopefully, you decide not to go to law school -- or at the very least decide not to go unless you get into a t14 or get a large scholarship at a t30 -- in which case, it matters.

I graduated top 1% with a BS in econ from a shit school and had about the same options as someone with B+ grades from my state flagship. People I know with ~3.5 from ivy schools had job searches lasting less than a week.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:08 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Regardless of what is best for law school, go to the best undergrad you can. Hopefully, you decide not to go to law school -- or at the very least decide not to go unless you get into a t14 or get a large scholarship at a t30 -- in which case, it matters.

I graduated top 1% with a BS in econ from a shit school and had about the same options as someone with B+ grades from my state flagship. People I know with ~3.5 from ivy schools had job searches lasting less than a week.
I agree with this post pretty much completely, with the caveat of DON'T GET INTO HELLA DEBT THO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”