* Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kobaine51

Bronze

Post by Kobaine51 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Last edited by Kobaine51 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Re: Addendum question

Post by BillsFan9907 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Why did you transfer from the first school to the public? The transfer to the elite school is obviously understandable,

Ramius

Gold

Re: Addendum question

Post by Ramius » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:17 pm

Kobaine51 wrote:I transferred twice as an undergraduate. I spent one semester at the first school before transferring and spending a semester at a public school in my home state, while at that school I was accepted to an elite university, where I matriculated the following autumn. I have no disciplinary record, nor was there an underlying issue that I was facing while transferring. I got basically perfect grades at the first two schools I attended. I graduated from the third school after three years, spending a total of four years in college.

I am considering writing an addendum simply because it looks strange, and if left undressed raises questions. What I would say is "I transferred because at every juncture I thought it would improve my life. As an eighteen year old I did not have enough life experience to understand the consequences in terms of perception that transferring twice would have on my record." I can give a positive explanation of why I made each decision, but not briefly, and so I think that is beyond the scope of an addendum. I worry though, that the explanation I provided above could come off as defensive or evasive.

Should I write the short addendum I described above, a more detailed one explaining each decision but being two pages or longer, or no addendum at all?

As a final note, I applied last year, and several schools asked me to explain my transfer, one in the interview and another in writing multiple times. The second school asked me if I was a "degree seeking student" at both of the first two schools I attended. I honestly don't even know what that means. So more food for thought.
Don't fret the "degree seeking student" moniker. That just means you weren't just taking How to Grill 101 at those institutions.

I would lean toward no addendum, but having something at the ready if questions are raised again. I don't suspect most to bat an eye at your situation, because it can simply be explained saying you were still an 18 year old kid figuring things out. No fuss, no muss.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”