too early for LOCI? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
supersplittysplitter

Bronze

too early for LOCI?

Post by supersplittysplitter » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:47 am

Is it too early in the admissions cycle to send a LOCI if I was deferred/ held? I already wrote a why X for this school, so I don't think I was held for not showing enough interest. And since I submitted my application only about 10 days ago, I don't have any new information to add to my file either. So if I wrote a LOCI now it would basically be like a 2nd why X. Then again I'm not sure if waiting is a good idea, because then it looks like I don't care about the school. I've searched the forums extensively, but most of the LOCI threads are about applicants wait listed in January/ February. I haven't found anything about what to do at this point in the cycle. Any advice?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Re: too early for LOCI?

Post by BillsFan9907 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:19 pm

According to SLS admissions dean, if you applied September/October, it would be appropriate to send an LOCI in late January. Of course, she doesn't tell us if it would be okay also to send one in December...

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admission ... /#comments

I would ask the school when they review held applicants. If you get a straight answer, then you can time your LOCI accordingly.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:26 pm

You applied 10 days ago? Wait a month or two.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Calm down its October and it's normal for splitters to get WLs, they're not going to start looking at the WL until the summer anyway

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:15 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:You applied 10 days ago? Wait a month or two.
Idk Scotti. 10 days is a long time. OP definitely missed her window. :roll:

OP, calm down. You're a splitter. Schools aren't rushing to dole out acceptances to splitters until they have a better idea of their class profile and determine if they need your LSAT or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Even if I wasnt a splitter would it still be too early for a loci? Because if all the people at the medians who were held are sending LOCIs right now then aren't they gaining on me?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:35 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:Even if I wasnt a splitter would it still be too early for a loci? Because if all the people at the medians who were held are sending LOCIs right now then aren't they gaining on me?
I think you're overestimating the importance of factors that are not numbers-based. People at medians were very likely accepted if they applied PT, so they're not "gaining on" you.
Your continued interest is surely implied since it's been such a short period of time. You literally just got placed on the PR list. LOCI's are more useful in the spring to let adcoms know "Hey! I still very much want to go to your school, so if you extend me an offer, I will likely accept it and your yield will improve." There's really no point in sending a LOCI now because whatever pile your application is in isn't even being looked at.
Do you care to share your numbers? Riding out the cycle is unfortunately what splitters must do. That's the reality of a numbers-based admissions game.

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:39 pm

dont be annoying OP

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”