American with Foreign LLB returning home to redo law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dubyawhy

New

American with Foreign LLB returning home to redo law school

Post by dubyawhy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Hey guys, here's my situation:

-US Citizen from NY
-Soon-to-be graduate from University of Hong Kong (common law jurisdiction)
-Dual degrees in Finance(BBA) and Law(LLB)
-3.43 GPA (school had a harsh curve), 172 LSAT diagnostic
-2 internships with US and UK BigLaw, 1 internship in investment banking, paid research experience in arbitration law
-Really want to go back home to receive some sort of law school education
-More importantly, I want to be employed back home (I have public service aspirations), so it'd be nice to benefit from recruiting opportunities at top schools.

Questions:

1. Since I have an LLB from a common law area already, should I just apply to an LLM program in the US? Will an LLM give me all the recruiting benefits (including OCR) that regular law school would?

2. If I apply to a T14 JD program, which programs would allow me to transfer credits or accelerate my program based on my undergraduate law degree? (google doesn't give me much)

3. Do T14 law school admissions take into account any sort of class rank or curve at your undergrad? I ask because I have confidence that my school practices a level of grade deflation unseen in most US schools

4. If I apply to a T14 JD, how will the fact that I sort of already "did" law school impact me? Will they like it? Dislike? Not care?

5. how do law school admissions work when you did undergrad overseas? Do they put more emphasis on LSAT?

6. Given my profile, where should I apply to? Is HYS off the table?
Last edited by dubyawhy on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HRomanus

Silver

Re: American with Foreign LLB returning home to redo law school

Post by HRomanus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:18 pm

dubyawhy wrote:6. Given my profile, where should I apply to? Is HYP off the table?
P definitely is.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:22 pm

I don't feel comfortable answering a lot of your questions (lack of experience/knowledge), so you'll have to forgive me jumping around a bit.

From what little I understand, you may be straight-up eligible to sit for the NY bar based on your degree from HKU.

http://www.internationalstudent.com/stu ... gn-lawyer/

dubyawhy wrote:172 LSAT diagnostic
This is not helpful. If you want to go to an American law school, actually take the LSAT, because no one here can/should give you chances based on a hypothetical LSAT score. The difference between a 169 and a 173 is too significant to just assume you'll get your diagnostic score, and it's a waste of everyone's time to play "what if" when not only is your LSAT in flux, but we're really not sure what your GPA is, either (Above average or superior, I'd imagine).
-More importantly, I want to be employed back home (I have public service aspirations), so it'd be nice to benefit from recruiting opportunities at top schools.
What do you mean by "public service aspirations?" There's a huge spectrum of "public interest aspirations" where on one side going to a top school will help you substantially in said regard, and on the other where it doesn't matter in the least.
1. Since I have an LLB from a common law area already, should I just apply to an LLM program in the US? Will an LLM give me all the recruiting benefits (including OCR) that regular law school would?
There isn't nearly enough information on TLS for anyone to tell you to do this, and I'd be cautious of looking at information from even 2-3 years ago. More importantly, however, LLM programs are insanely overpriced (COA is at like 80k a year at Columbia). If you're going for public interest, I'd really try and minimize your student loan debt as much as you possibly can. Actually, that's true even if you weren't interested in PI.
2. If I apply to a T14 JD program, which programs would allow me to transfer credits or accelerate my program based on my undergraduate law degree? (google doesn't give me much)
Count on this being no. You might be surprised, and I know there are programs that let you get a JD/LLB concurrently, but don't count on this happening.
3. Do T14 law school admissions take into account any sort of class rank or curve at your undergrad? I ask because I have confidence that my school practices a level of grade deflation unseen in most US schools
Very little, but for all practical purposes none.
4. If I apply to a T14 JD, how will the fact that I sort of already "did" law school impact me? Will they like it? Dislike? Not care?
Won't care. Might be a slight soft bump, but the biggest factors are your GPA (which won't count as an international student) and your LSAT.
5. How do law school admissions work when you did undergrad overseas? Do they put more emphasis on LSAT?
For all intents, figure your GPA will be considered as median for every school you apply to. So the LSAT matters a LOT more for you.
6. Given my profile, where should I apply to? Is HYP off the table?
I would see if you can sit for the NY bar first. If not, then no, HYS isn't off the table, but don't spend money where you don't have to.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:43 pm

HRomanus wrote:
dubyawhy wrote:6. Given my profile, where should I apply to? Is HYP off the table?
P definitely is.
Bullshit. I know several people who got into P with similar numbers. In fact, they were not even required to submit LSAT scores. Plus, you're ignoring his MAJOR URM status of being from the 21st century.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Seoulless wrote:
HRomanus wrote:
P definitely is.
Bullshit. I know several people who got into P with similar numbers. In fact, they were not even required to submit LSAT scores. Plus, you're ignoring his MAJOR URM status of being from the 21st century.
:D

dubyawhy

New

Post by dubyawhy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:26 pm

twenty wrote:I don't feel comfortable answering a lot of your questions (lack of experience/knowledge), so you'll have to forgive me jumping around a bit.

From what little I understand, you may be straight-up eligible to sit for the NY bar based on your degree from HKU.

http://www.internationalstudent.com/stu ... gn-lawyer/

dubyawhy wrote:172 LSAT diagnostic
This is not helpful. If you want to go to an American law school, actually take the LSAT, because no one here can/should give you chances based on a hypothetical LSAT score. The difference between a 169 and a 173 is too significant to just assume you'll get your diagnostic score, and it's a waste of everyone's time to play "what if" when not only is your LSAT in flux, but we're really not sure what your GPA is, either (Above average or superior, I'd imagine).
What do you mean by "public service aspirations?" There's a huge spectrum of "public interest aspirations" where on one side going to a top school will help you substantially in said regard, and on the other where it doesn't matter in the least.
There isn't nearly enough information on TLS for anyone to tell you to do this, and I'd be cautious of looking at information from even 2-3 years ago. More importantly, however, LLM programs are insanely overpriced (COA is at like 80k a year at Columbia). If you're going for public interest, I'd really try and minimize your student loan debt as much as you possibly can. Actually, that's true even if you weren't interested in PI.
Count on this being no. You might be surprised, and I know there are programs that let you get a JD/LLB concurrently, but don't count on this happening.
Very little, but for all practical purposes none.
Won't care. Might be a slight soft bump, but the biggest factors are your GPA (which won't count as an international student) and your LSAT.
5. How do law school admissions work when you did undergrad overseas? Do they put more emphasis on LSAT?
For all intents, figure your GPA will be considered as median for every school you apply to. So the LSAT matters a LOT more for you.
6. Given my profile, where should I apply to? Is HYP off the table?
I would see if you can sit for the NY bar first. If not, then no, HYS isn't off the table, but don't spend money where you don't have to.
Thanks a lot for the reply!

1. I am definitely eligible for the NY Bar, but I'm more concerned about getting a good job, which is why I'm asking. No point in passing the bar if nobody will hire me.

2. Well I understand you never know if you get your diagnostic, but I assume most people get higher since there is quite a bit of prep between your diagnostic and the actual thing. Assuming 172 and my foreign transcript (I'll assume above average), what would you recommend?

3. By public service I mean civil service. Hopefully working in the government/JAG and then going into politics. The point of this is basically that I need to return home to begin my career, because a lot of law-related government work requires a US legal education.

Thanks a lot!!!
Seoulless wrote:
HRomanus wrote:
P definitely is.
Haha I get it I get it! Sorry I didn't mean to make that slip up :lol: I've also been thinking about grad school...maybe that's why it happened!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”