priority reserve list tips? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
supersplittysplitter

Bronze

priority reserve list tips?

Post by supersplittysplitter » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Any advice for how to get accepted off the priority reserve list? When should I begin submitting supplementary materials (LOCI, LOR, etc)?

One problem i have is that I already wrote a "Why Duke," so I'm not sure if my LOCI should talk about different programs and aspects of Duke that I like or if I should elaborate on some of the points I made in my original essay.

Also I anticipate getting a new job soon (i have very little WE, could that be a reason I wasnt accepted?) should I wait so that I can send them an updated resume and a LOCI at the same time?
Last edited by supersplittysplitter on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Felix the Cat

New

Re: Duke priority reserve list tips?

Post by Felix the Cat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:31 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:Any advice for how to get accepted off the priority reserve list? When should I begin submitting supplementary materials (LOCI, LOR, etc)?

One problem i have is that I already wrote a "Why Duke," so I'm not sure if my LOCI should talk about different programs and aspects of Duke that I like or if I should elaborate on some of the points I made in my original essay.

Also I anticipate getting a new job soon, should I wait so that I can send them an updated resume and a LOCI at the same time?
How soon is soon? (Don't wait if it's more than 2 or 3 weeks.) The key to the waiting list / LOCI game is to be able to find excuses to contact them with updates on your blossoming career (and of course, your continued interest in Duke Law.) It's still early though--lots of movement on the WL occurs towards the summer. So try to save your update items as much as you can.

Back when I was in your position I would update schools I was waitlisted at whenever I received an employee reward at my company. I left out the fact that getting an employee reward was virtually automatic--it was just a matter of finding a colleague to recommend one to you.

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:05 pm

Yea my first instinct was to right a LOCI immediately, but it's still so early in the cycle, and since I wrote my why duke less than 2 weeks ago, I don't really have anything new to add. Most of the articles I've read about LOCI offer advice for applicants wait listed in January or February, so I feel like I'm kind of in a weird situation

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't write a Why Duke though so I still have that at my disposal along with updating my transcripts with fall grades.

I feel I got PR'd due to the lack of Duke interest in my app, should I send a Why Duke right away, or should I wait til later in the cycle.

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:02 pm

canadianbrother wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't write a Why Duke though so I still have that at my disposal along with updating my transcripts with fall grades.

I feel I got PR'd due to the lack of Duke interest in my app, should I send a Why Duke right away, or should I wait til later in the cycle.
yea I'm definitely at a loss. I don't know if I should send a LOCI immediately, if I should wait, If i should call the admissions office, if i should send a quick email...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:25 pm

How were your numbers? Do you feel as if you were a YP or just borderline numbers?

Felix the Cat

New

Post by Felix the Cat » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:56 am

supersplittysplitter wrote:
canadianbrother wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't write a Why Duke though so I still have that at my disposal along with updating my transcripts with fall grades.

yea I'm definitely at a loss. I don't know if I should send a LOCI immediately, if I should wait, If i should call the admissions office, if i should send a quick email...
I would wait until you get that new job and then send a LOCI immediately. (Dear Duke, I really want to go to your school, plus I'm going to be mature and awesome because I just got hired for a job.) The downside is that they will be slightly annoyed with your earnestness (unlikely) and the upside is that it will signal to them that you really want to go to Duke.

Canadianbrother--I would just write one up and send in right away. You don't know if failure to demonstrate interest is the reason why they WLed you, but if it is, there's a chance you might get pulled off the WL right away. If not, you will have wasted an hour on a Why Duke essay.

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Re: priority reserve list tips?

Post by supersplittysplitter » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:03 pm

should a LOCI always be in the format of a letter? or could we cut out the address heading and salutation and just write the bulk of the letter like a regular essay? what's the point of presenting it as a letter?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:05 pm

letter of continued interest is just an old name, its just an essay. You don't have to write it with a quill pen lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:13 pm

james.bungles wrote:letter of continued interest is just an old name, its just an essay. You don't have to write it with a quill pen lol
Haha yes that's why I'm asking isn't including all the addresses and bullshit at the top just as archaic as using a quill pen? Especially when I'm emailing it?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:07 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:
james.bungles wrote:letter of continued interest is just an old name, its just an essay. You don't have to write it with a quill pen lol
Haha yes that's why I'm asking isn't including all the addresses and bullshit at the top just as archaic as using a quill pen? Especially when I'm emailing it?
What he's saying is that it's not a letter.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:10 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote: Also I anticipate getting a new job soon (i have very little WE, could that be a reason I wasnt accepted?)
No. You weren't accepted priority track because you're a super splitty splitter.
Also, calm down. It's not even thanksgiving yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”