Writing 'Why X' essays as splitter Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fireflies

New

Writing 'Why X' essays as splitter

Post by fireflies » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:35 pm

So here's my situation:
- 3.49 (ugh) / 172
- I'm applying to most t-14 (minus where I obviously have no chance) + a couple of others due to fee waivers/general interest that fall between 15-30ish on USWNR rankings
- Canadian, Business Undergrad (in final year)

I've read many posts on supplemental Why X essays and the TLS guide and here's what I've gaged:
- The Top 6 generally don't need these because they know they're fabulous (* Is this true?)
- They are useful for school's where you are above medians/75th as they may be afraid of yields

But as a splitter, I'm over the 75% LSAT of every 7+ ranked school, yet below/at many of the 25-median GPAs for where I'm applying. As such, I can't imagine that they see me as a threat to their yield rates and would thus purposely reject me assuming I'll accept better (but I don't know). My dream schools and top choices are all top-14s

Are there some t-14 schools that are known to be more generous to "Why X" writers? (**Specifically, does it help with Duke PT?)
I know in most cases it wouldn't hurt, but I do not want to come across as disingenuine with schools that are not y top choices

Winston1984

Gold

Re: Writing 'Why X' essays as splitter

Post by Winston1984 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:54 pm

I would write it for every school that has an optional "why our school". Penn, UMich, NU, Duke, and the Georgetown prompt. UVA is known for YPing, so maybe there too? But the interview they do should be a good place to sell them on why you want to attend. Don't write it for T6. Probably wouldn't for others outside the T-14 either, as they aren't really known to YP.

secadc11

Silver

Post by secadc11 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:56 pm

tag

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

fireflies

New

Post by fireflies » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:01 pm

Winston1984 wrote:I would write it for every school that has an optional "why our school". Penn, UMich, NU, Duke, and the Georgetown prompt. UVA is known for YPing, so maybe there too? But the interview they do should be a good place to sell them on why you want to attend. Don't write it for T6. Probably wouldn't for others outside the T-14 either, as they aren't really known to YP.
Perfect advice thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Felix the Cat

New

Post by Felix the Cat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:49 pm

fireflies wrote:So here's my situation:
- 3.49 (ugh) / 172
- I'm applying to most t-14 (minus where I obviously have no chance) + a couple of others due to fee waivers/general interest that fall between 15-30ish on USWNR rankings
- Canadian, Business Undergrad (in final year)

I've read many posts on supplemental Why X essays and the TLS guide and here's what I've gaged:
- The Top 6 generally don't need these because they know they're fabulous (* Is this true?)
- They are useful for school's where you are above medians/75th as they may be afraid of yields

But as a splitter, I'm over the 75% LSAT of every 7+ ranked school, yet below/at many of the 25-median GPAs for where I'm applying. As such, I can't imagine that they see me as a threat to their yield rates and would thus purposely reject me assuming I'll accept better (but I don't know). My dream schools and top choices are all top-14s

Are there some t-14 schools that are known to be more generous to "Why X" writers? (**Specifically, does it help with Duke PT?)
I know in most cases it wouldn't hurt, but I do not want to come across as disingenuine with schools that are not y top choices
Write them for every school you apply to that allows it. If you unexpectedly get placed on the waiting list you can be sure admissions people will quickly scan your file to see if you wrote one of these. (Some may even read them.) So to hedge your bets you should write them even if you think you'll come across as fake.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:
Write them for every school you apply to that allows it. If you unexpectedly get placed on the waiting list you can be sure admissions people will quickly scan your file to see if you wrote one of these. (Some may even read them.) So to hedge your bets you should write them even if you think you'll come across as fake.
I don't follow. The sequential order is this:

1) His application is read in full (Why X included)
2) He gets waitlisted.

How exactly would submitting a Why X prior to a waitlist help in the event that he finds himself on the waitlist?

In my opinion, there remains no reason for him to write a Why X for the top six. The fact that he'd be "lucky" enough to get into one of those schools is enough of a why X. Think about it. If you are the Harvard adcom, is there even a modicum of doubt in your head that he would run with the acceptance? This is what would have to go on in the adcoms head: "we like something about him that is idiosyncratic to our needs. We really do not think he will get a better offer from a peer institution. The schools for which he is a shoe in will offer him far less value than what we can offer. Nonetheless, we are worried he will decline so let's hope he wrote a Why Harvard."

If someone with a 4.0 and 180 is not expected to write a Why Harvard, then that logic applies a billion more times to someone who has a far less chance of being admitted.

Felix the Cat

New

Post by Felix the Cat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Seoulless wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:
I don't follow. The sequential order is this:

1) His application is read in full (Why X included)
2) He gets waitlisted.

How exactly would submitting a Why X prior to a waitlist help in the event that he finds himself on the waitlist?

In my opinion, there remains no reason for him to write a Why X for the top six. The fact that he'd be "lucky" enough to get into one of those schools is enough of a why X. Think about it. If you are the Harvard adcom, is there even a modicum of doubt in your head that he would run with the acceptance? This is what would have to go on in the adcoms head: "we like something about him that is idiosyncratic to our needs. We really do not think he will get a better offer from a peer institution. The schools for which he is a shoe in will offer him far less value than what we can offer. Nonetheless, we are worried he will decline so let's hope he wrote a Why Harvard."

If someone with a 4.0 and 180 is not expected to write a Why Harvard, then that logic applies a billion more times to someone who has a far less chance of being admitted.
It's not necessarily that they're mainly concerned he'll decline--they might just prefer to admit people who feel strongly about being there. And if you're waitlisted at HLS you're probably good enough to get into Columbia or NYU possibly with money (or a full scholarship at a lower T14). That's real competition for HLS.

The upside is big compared to the downside (you'll have to spend an hour writing the essay). Many people don't make this sort of cost to benefit calculation in situations with incomplete information though--instead they make decisions based on whether they think something will work or not.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:
It's not necessarily that they're mainly concerned he'll decline--they might just prefer to admit people who feel strongly about being there. And if you're waitlisted at HLS you're probably good enough to get into Columbia or NYU possibly with money (or a full scholarship at a lower T14). That's real competition for HLS.

The upside is big compared to the downside (you'll have to spend an hour writing the essay). Many people don't make this sort of cost to benefit calculation in situations with incomplete information though--instead they make decisions based on whether they think something will work or not.
1. Everyone except the dead, comatose and feeble-minded feel strongly about going to HLS. HLS knows this, you know this, I know this and the OP knows this :twisted: ... Writing a Why HLS is like writing a "Why I Like to Get Laid" or "Why I Would Like to Have a Million Bucks to Blow."

2. There is no evidence whatsoever that the T6 engage in even a modicum of yield protection.

3. There could in fact be a downside to writing a Why X for the T6. It shows that someone hasn't done their research in terms of what is and what is not an appropriate addition to an application. When every single highly regarded former adcom on here has weighed in on sending supplemental material, they have ALWAYS urged restraint. Redundancy is the biggest eyesore to adcoms, which is why you do not write a diversity statement that mirrors your personal statement. Chicago even outright tells you that they are mildly negative towards Why Chicago's.

If you see Taylor Swift on the street, do you compliment her on her looks or music? No. She knows she is hot and a successful musician. It would be boring for her to hear that. You save those comments for her (hypothetical) slightly fatter and less talented sister. The same logic applies to writing a Why X.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Very similar stats. Initially only wrote a Why Penn.

Eventually sent in a Why Mich and got in within a week.

Didn't send in a Duke/UVA why x and got WL'd.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”