Why [School X] essays - content Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PowerHungry

New

Why [School X] essays - content

Post by PowerHungry » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Thus far, my approach on these essays has been to visit the TLS wiki page on a school as well as their main law page on the school edu domain. I look for clinics, background, etc. and try to weave it into a 250 word-ish mantra about how what they serve meshes with what I'm interested in and how the two overlap.

My question is this: Is it a bad idea to include more... practical realities that may influence my desire to attend a school as well?
-cost
-employment statistics
-the school's athletic teams

ChemEng1642

Silver

Re: Why [School X] essays - content

Post by ChemEng1642 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 pm

For location, if you have a compelling reason you want to stay in the area (spouse works there, you don't want to uproot your whole family, etc.) I would definitely mention it - especially if you are a yield protect candidate.

Also I'm not really sure how "school's athletic teams" is a "practical reality" :P

PowerHungry

New

Re: Why [School X] essays - content

Post by PowerHungry » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:45 pm

Well, the school's college sports teams is a very superficial reason, but at the same time, it seems some of the schools are proud of that tradition and achievement. So my gut tells me it has nothing to do with a Why School X essay, but if it's say Notre Dame or UT-Austin, it would seem to be the elephant in the room for some applicants I imagine (or maybe not at all).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”