. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sfoglia

Gold

Re: Thoughts on IIT Kent- Chicago?

Post by sfoglia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:29 pm

ashleyrama wrote: I am confirming that I have seen this lol. Thank you very much for your input I am really weighing out all of my options here and I appreciate your personal story to add more credibility to the idea of taking time off and retaking.
Fantastic. Now please delete the quote. :)

If you want to chat any further, feel free to PM me!

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:58 pm

bjsesq wrote:
pcph wrote:Do you want to stay in Chicago? If so, think about Loyola Chicago too, their admissions numbers are similar to Chicago Kent. Apply to UIUC as stated above. Don't think you need to retake to get a higher LSAT score. My numbers are comparable to yours and those schools I listed, among others, are schools I am applying to. If you don't have time to retake the LSAT, your numbers will get you into Chicago Kent and Loyola with a fair amount of scholarship money. UIUC may be less. But please please please please please don't think you need to retake! You'll be happy in the city at any school :D
Do me a favor, if you have a sec: go ahead and get AIDS.
bro...don't be stupid. Nobody just gets aids...you have to get HIV first and then wait for it

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:59 pm

transferror wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
pcph wrote:Do you want to stay in Chicago? If so, think about Loyola Chicago too, their admissions numbers are similar to Chicago Kent. Apply to UIUC as stated above. Don't think you need to retake to get a higher LSAT score. My numbers are comparable to yours and those schools I listed, among others, are schools I am applying to. If you don't have time to retake the LSAT, your numbers will get you into Chicago Kent and Loyola with a fair amount of scholarship money. UIUC may be less. But please please please please please don't think you need to retake! You'll be happy in the city at any school :D
bro...don't be stupid. Nobody just gets aids...you have to get HIV first and then wait for it
You don't say.....

*fills out Kent app*

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Based on the work you want to do, you signal to us that you want to do biglaw. If you have no hard science degree, then you'll need to go to a firm that does a lot of "soft IP." Those firms are biglaw firms. To be assured of a reasonable chance of getting biglaw, you need to go to a T13 school.

You need to retake. You would just be wasting money and time by going to Kent or Loyola. Take a year off, get work experience, retake, and go to Northwestern.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:35 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Based on the work you want to do, you signal to us that you want to do biglaw. If you have no hard science degree, then you'll need to go to a firm that does a lot of "soft IP." Those firms are biglaw firms. To be assured of a reasonable chance of getting biglaw, you need to go to a T13 school.

You need to retake. You would just be wasting money and time by going to Kent or Loyola. Take a year off, get work experience, retake, and go to Northwestern.
Read the above as many times as it takes until you accept it as truth.

A realistic outcome from Kent is making $35k in a bankruptcy or foreclosure mill.

I know because I've met some of those folks.

At a minimum - go to UIUC on full ride.

Any way you slice it, retaking needs to be a real consideration. You worked hard for that GPA, don't let it go to waste.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:54 am

You do not want to chance the Chicago market with anything lower than Northwestern. You just don't. Even Northwestern is risky.

50% of IIT-Kent grads may get law jobs, but like 90% of those 50% are working for people like Peter Frances Geraci or some other shitlaw mill doing bankruptcy/FDCPA, low-end insurance defense, slip n' fall nuisance cases, or document review. And working at a place like this will ruin your resume for life. You can't even get the unpaid government/PI fellowships anymore from Kent, because those are all going to the Northwestern/U. Chicago grads that want to get into these fields.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 am

Aim for Illinois Law with $$$. Thanks to a series of unfortunate events, its LSAT is just 2 pts away from Kent/Loyola.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:10 am

bjsesq wrote:
That was highly un-called-for. I reported it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 am

PDaddy wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
That was highly un-called-for. I reported it!
If I told you dude smelled like buttermilk, I'd bet you'd think my comment was perfectly acceptable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”