Best Month to Apply Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dustybottoms7

New

Best Month to Apply

Post by dustybottoms7 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:10 pm

What is the best month to send in your apps? Is it the earlier the better?

Also if I am considering retaking in December, is it best to wait to submit or should I submit with my September score and inform them i am retaking? If so, how does one go about doing that?

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Best Month to Apply

Post by Rigo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:04 pm

All things being equal, the earlier the better.
However, if your current stats aren't strong enough for you to be admitted, it's best to wait until after December.

dustybottoms7

New

Post by dustybottoms7 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Dirigo wrote:All things being equal, the earlier the better.
However, if your current stats aren't strong enough for you to be admitted, it's best to wait until after December.
is there any advantage to submitting with my current stats ASAP, and simply stating that I am retaking in December?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:24 pm

dustybottoms7 wrote:
is there any advantage to submitting with my current stats ASAP, and simply stating that I am retaking in December?
Not really. And the disadvantage is a ton of money wasted if you perform poorly again.
What are your current stats and which schools are you wanting to apply to?

dustybottoms7

New

Post by dustybottoms7 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Dirigo wrote:
dustybottoms7 wrote:
Not really. And the disadvantage is a ton of money wasted if you perform poorly again.
3.86 and 162..
Prior to testing I was really hoping for ucla/usc maybe berk. Now I am looking at notre dame and asu with the current score. Highest pt was 167 which happened 2/15 times. Average was around 163. I know everyone will say to retake, but after taking taking a testmasters test and the 15 most recent tests already, I am demotivated in grinding the next 6 weeks as I sm unsure of a proper study plan. Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks dirigo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:17 pm

dustybottoms7 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
dustybottoms7 wrote:
3.86 and 162..
Prior to testing I was really hoping for ucla/usc maybe berk. Now I am looking at notre dame and asu with the current score. Highest pt was 167 which happened 2/15 times. Average was around 163. I know everyone will say to retake, but after taking taking a testmasters test and the 15 most recent tests already, I am demotivated in grinding the next 6 weeks as I sm unsure of a proper study plan. Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks dirigo
I mean, the advice is to retake. However, you tested pretty in line with your average so it's not like you were greatly disappointed by your score.
I think you should really look at your LG score. That's the easiest to improve upon and can be done so with minimal effort. If you missed a lot there, then retaking in December can yield a big score jump.
Here is a guide for retaking a lot of TLSers use:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=195603

You'll probably get some decent money thrown at you by ASU, but you will not be able to return to California with that degree. (I'm assuming you're Californian based on preferred schools.)

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you decide to retake at some point even if that means sitting out a cycle. Make an honest assessment of how much time and effort you put in, and if you know you have more to give, then retake. A few more points can keep you from taking on six figure debt.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Always earlier rather than later. You can always supplement as needed.

dustybottoms7

New

Post by dustybottoms7 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks again. I've looked into Noodley's guide and i think I'm gunna give it a go. Hopefully 5 weeks will be enough to cram in enough studying to boost the score up a couple points.

dustybottoms7

New

Post by dustybottoms7 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:Always earlier rather than later. You can always supplement as needed.
if that's the case, do I let them know that I will be retaking? I was planning on applying to my safety schools with my current score now and then waiting to apply to all the others after I receive my retake score in January. do you suggest that I apply to all at this point in time?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”