I need some advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uf58161

New

I need some advice

Post by uf58161 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:06 am

Hello all,

I posted on here Monday, and the help I received was great. Unfortunately, the score I received on the September LSAT was very disappointing. I have no idea what happened. I never practice scored lower than a 165 and I got a 158. Now here is the kicker... I can't retake. I have already taken it 3 times. The first was a cancel and the second was a 156. I am still in shock about my score. I even scored a few 172's during my studying again. I was so ready for the September test, and I even left the exam thinking how much easier it was then June. Now I am letting go of the dream of moving away to go to a highly ranked law school. My GPA is alright. It was a 3.57 at UF, but because I took a few classes at a community college my CAS report GPA is a 3.47. I graduated with honors from UF as well.

My question(s) are how much did this screw me up taking it again? Do I need to include an addendum as to why my score only went up 2 points? I mean I have no idea why it only went up 2 points haha. Also I am shooting for UF law right now which 158 is the median score so that is hopeful, and I am a Hispanic female. I went to UF as an undergrad, but I heard that is sometimes not a good thing. I also worked at the UF college of law for a semester because I knew I wanted to go there, and wanted to get my face seen.

I don't want to load this post down with questions, but I was also wondering if I should wait to apply until the very end of the cycle (March) and try and find an internship in the legal field for the next 4 months so try and boost my application and overshadow that LSAT score. Is that too short of time to try and form a relationship with an attorney and then have them write a letter of rec for me? I have 2 very strong LORs right now, but UF accepts 4. I have a lot of work experience, but none in the legal field. (3 jobs throughout college and 3 internships throughout my time at UF)

ANY advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

banjo

Silver

Re: I need some advice

Post by banjo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:49 am

I'd pursue another career for a few years and retake down the line if you still want to be a lawyer. If you're really curious, you can apply and evaluate your offers in the spring, but it sounds like you vastly underperformed your potential.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:26 pm

I don't think you should try to boost your application by applying so late in the cycle. I know you don't want to hear this, but I'd definitely recommend getting some more work experience and making sure that law is for you. You're not going to get money anywhere worth it and it's not a good investment.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:30 pm

banjo wrote:I'd pursue another career for a few years and retake down the line if you still want to be a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”