Resume question - Graduate school class rank? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PowerHungry

New

Resume question - Graduate school class rank?

Post by PowerHungry » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:33 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but I see on some of the examples of law school resumes the question of class rank. I have an MA, but don't know my class rank. I know I can call the school and find out, but is it even helpful to put my graduate school class rank if I can find it out?

Two more odds and ends
-Should I include a list of interests at the bottom even if it's generic - sports, politics, film...?
-I know the consensus seems to be to not have too many bullet points per heading/sub-heading, but I asked a question here and the consensus also seemed to be to include all UG activities. So I have 7 UG bullet points covering thesis, GPA, dean's list, club 1, club 2, scholarship, and class rank. Should I keep all 7 or combine some or get rid of some?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Re: Resume question - Graduate school class rank?

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 pm

PowerHungry wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but I see on some of the examples of law school resumes the question of class rank. I have an MA, but don't know my class rank. I know I can call the school and find out, but is it even helpful to put my graduate school class rank if I can find it out?

Two more odds and ends
-Should I include a list of interests at the bottom even if it's generic - sports, politics, film...?
-I know the consensus seems to be to not have too many bullet points per heading/sub-heading, but I asked a question here and the consensus also seemed to be to include all UG activities. So I have 7 UG bullet points covering thesis, GPA, dean's list, club 1, club 2, scholarship, and class rank. Should I keep all 7 or combine some or get rid of some?
Unless you were really high in the class, don't worry about class rank.

Yes to the list of interests.

How long is your resume? If you can list all that and still keep it to one page, go for it. If not, consolidate/eliminate to get it down to a page.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Don't do this unless you're number 1 or were in a MA program where ranking matters. I'm not really aware of any for which it does. The class rank thing is used more for professional stuff. Like if you have an MA in phil/eng/lit or something it would look really weird to have a rank, even if you were number 1.

PowerHungry

New

Post by PowerHungry » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:59 pm

To piggy back on an old thread of mine, I just got my UG class rank back and it's not spectacular - top 20% at a respectable state school. Is it necessary to put UG class rank or is it OK to omit because it's not that impressive?

I keep Googling bust most results are about law school GPA on job resumes and don't relate specifically.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:02 pm

PowerHungry wrote:To piggy back on an old thread of mine, I just got my UG class rank back and it's not spectacular - top 20% at a respectable state school. Is it necessary to put UG class rank or is it OK to omit because it's not that impressive?

I keep Googling bust most results are about law school GPA on job resumes and don't relate specifically.
Omit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”