A few questions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Broncos847

New

A few questions

Post by Broncos847 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:00 pm

I recieved my LSAT scores yesterday, and was beyond suprised and excited to see I got a 172. I was pting around a 168-170 and was not confident after the test; I thought for sure I would retake in December. However a 172 is definitely around the upper end of what I wanted, so now i'm scrambling to get some applications done.

First of all, I plan on applying ED to UPenn. I graduated with a 3.4 GPA (horrific I know) from a large public state school majoring in political science. My softs are existent if unspectacular; my personal statement attempts to subtly explain the low GPA by dicussing my experience working 30+ hours a week during undergrad (this will be verified with a letter of recomendation from my former employer). However, I know it really comes down to GPA and LSAT; what are my chances at UPenn ED?

Also, if I do apply ED, does that mean that I can't apply anywhere else until I hear back? Other schools i'm interested in are Cornell, NU, Michigan, Duke, basically the low T-14 except Georgetown. Also because i'm a moron and I havent gotten all my LOR and my transcript in to CAS yet i'm wondering if I will be able to get it all and processed before the Dec 1. deadline. Also, on lsac.org when applying to UPenn I dont see an option to apply ED, just regular admission. How do I make sure I apply ED?

Thank you to anyone who is willing to answer my dumb questions.

phillywc

Gold

Re: A few questions

Post by phillywc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Penn's ED option is inside the actual application, IIRC.

I wouldn't apply ED there though.

I had a 3.5 from a school very similar to yours, a 173 LSAT, and got several T14 acceptances including NYU.

You'll get into Penn if you apply ED though.

Broncos847

New

Post by Broncos847 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 pm

UPenn is my #1 choice because I am currently living with my family here in Philly, very close to campus. Not having to pay room and board would significantly cut down on the debt I will be taking on, not to mention it would be great to stay around my family.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Broncos847 wrote:UPenn is my #1 choice because I am currently living with my family here in Philly, very close to campus. Not having to pay room and board would significantly cut down on the debt I will be taking on, not to mention it would be great to stay around my family.
I see. I'm a philly native and considered EDing Penn for the same reason. What I'll say is that living with you parents during LS would suck. Saving money and all is nice and hard to turn down, but you aren't gonna get the experience.

If by family you mean spouse/kids or whatever, whole different ball game of course.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 pm

You can apply other places before hearing back, you just have to W/D from everywhere else quickly if you are accepted ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”