This Germany Thing Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lmitchell11

New

This Germany Thing

Post by lmitchell11 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:29 pm

I have to admit that due to being pretty much a complete asshole my first two years of undergrad, I completely gave up on law school. With my current GPA, my only shot at the T14 would be getting a 180 on the LSAT and exploiting the hell out of my minority (3 different Native American tribes) status (is that even an option anymore?). I haven't even posted here in over a year.

BUT, it is my understanding that if I go to school in Germany now, I can pretty much have a clean slate. None of my credits will transfer. I'll have lost the two years of my life I spent doing part time school here but it is worth the risk.

Will LSAC count my current GPA even if I start completely over and get my bachelor's in Germany or will it be gone? If not, but I get my degree in Germany with outstanding marks, how much will it matter?

I project I will score between 174-178 on the LSAT based on past practice tests and studies, but that is not concrete. Any t14 chances at all??

McAvoy

Gold

Re: This Germany Thing

Post by McAvoy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:49 pm

I would assume that a NA w/ a mid 170s will get T14s w/ some money even with a GPA in the 1s (if they could find a school that'd grant a degree with a sub-C GPA). I believe NAs get the biggest URM bump, but I could be wrong. Even still, a white guy with a high 170s LSAT has a shot at some T14s pretty much regardless of GPA. And if you are only two years in, you can still recover your GPA to respectable levels.

Going to school in Germany will absolutely not do anything to get rid of your grade history as far as LSAC is concerned.

What are your goals in life/why do you want to be an attorney/why must you go the T14?

lmitchell11

New

Post by lmitchell11 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:55 pm

McAvoy wrote:I would assume that a NA w/ a mid 170s will get T14s w/ some money even with a GPA in the 1s (if they could find a school that'd grant a degree with a sub-C GPA). I believe NAs get the biggest URM bump, but I could be wrong. Even still, a white guy with a high 170s LSAT has a shot at some T14s pretty much regardless of GPA. And if you are only two years in, you can still recover your GPA to respectable levels.

Going to school in Germany will absolutely not do anything to get rid of your grade history as far as LSAC is concerned.

What are your goals in life/why do you want to be an attorney/why must you go the T14?
My goals in life include: having no life outside of work and bringing home $150K+ in NYC or Chicago, no husband, no kids, maybe a dog, eating lots of takeout on my desk, sleeping on the loveseat in my office, making more money than all my friends who "love" their jobs.

Condensed: money. And I don't wanna go the medicine route or start my own business soooo... law.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 am

lmitchell11 wrote:
McAvoy wrote:I would assume that a NA w/ a mid 170s will get T14s w/ some money even with a GPA in the 1s (if they could find a school that'd grant a degree with a sub-C GPA). I believe NAs get the biggest URM bump, but I could be wrong. Even still, a white guy with a high 170s LSAT has a shot at some T14s pretty much regardless of GPA. And if you are only two years in, you can still recover your GPA to respectable levels.

My goals in life include: having no life outside of work and bringing home $150K+ in NYC or Chicago, no husband, no kids, maybe a dog, eating lots of takeout on my desk, sleeping on the loveseat in my office, making more money than all my friends who "love" their jobs.

Condensed: money. And I don't wanna go the medicine route or start my own business soooo... law.
You're doing it wrong. If you want money, go VC.

lmitchell11

New

Post by lmitchell11 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:04 am

eriedoctrine wrote:
lmitchell11 wrote:

You're doing it wrong. If you want money, go VC.
VC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:05 am

yea going to law school to make money is a pretty terrible proposition.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:10 am

lmitchell11 wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote: You're doing it wrong. If you want money, go VC.
VC?
Venture Capital

lmitchell11

New

Post by lmitchell11 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:17 am

Dirigo wrote:
lmitchell11 wrote:
VC?
Venture Capital
Bleeehhhh. I like law, I think. I also realize that everyone thinks that until they get to law school.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:17 am

lmitchell11 wrote:

Then law school sounds like a terrible idea for you. Either way, if this was sincere, hopefully you can do some growing up over the next few years, too, while you get your grades in order.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lmitchell11

New

Post by lmitchell11 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:37 am

McAvoy wrote:
lmitchell11 wrote:

Then law school sounds like a terrible idea for you. Either way, if this was sincere, hopefully you can do some growing up over the next few years, too, while you get your grades in order.
Not 100% sincere, but it is true that I don't want a family and it is unlikely I will ever get married. The most important thing in my life will be my career, and I don't think there is any shame in that.

Why exactly would law school be a terrible idea if all I care about is making money/having a successful career (big law)?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:36 am

Dirigo wrote:
lmitchell11 wrote:
VC?
Venture Capital
How do people get into that anyways?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:40 am

lmitchell11 wrote:The most important thing in my life will be my career, and I don't think there is any shame in that.

Why exactly would law school be a terrible idea if all I care about is making money/having a successful career (big law)?
Not shame, exactly, but it is a pretty sad/pitiable way to go through life. Your call, though.

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:27 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
lmitchell11 wrote:The most important thing in my life will be my career, and I don't think there is any shame in that.

Not shame, exactly, but it is a pretty sad/pitiable way to go through life. Your call, though.
Yeah that's pathetic girl. Are you going to end up committing suicide when you realize your jobs sucks and you're alone and miserable

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 pm

lmitchell11 wrote:
McAvoy wrote:
lmitchell11 wrote:Condensed: money. And I don't wanna go the medicine route or start my own business soooo... law.
Not 100% sincere, but it is true that I don't want a family and it is unlikely I will ever get married. The most important thing in my life will be my career, and I don't think there is any shame in that.

Agreed, there's no shame in not wanting kids or a partner. However, the odds are against you having a happy and fulfilling life if your overriding goal is simply to earn the most money money possible. It's fine to be career oriented, but you'll be hard-pressed to meet happy career folk whose profession is not, at root, means to some other end in life. Hopefully you can find some goal to work towards that makes you happy and is not hollow, shallow and depressing.

As far as law goes, almost nobody gets rich. Law, in the right situation, can be a path to relative financial stability and comfort -- if one is lucky -- but not much more than that. Consider last year's employment stats: 64 percent of all graduates nationally got a job as a lawyer within nine months of graduation. The average graduate had over 100K in student loans. Of those so lucky to become lawyers, only 51% went to private practice. The average new attorney who is not in private practice makes ~50K. The subgroup of new private practice attorneys has a notoriously bimodal salary distribution: 31% (very roughly 10% of the entire graduate population) went to work for a large firm where their salary was ~160K. The vast majority of other graduates working at law firms make below 60K per year. Those who do work for large firms tend to work in the most expensive markets, and more than half of all new large firm graduates will leave their job (often for a large pay cut) within two years of their start date. A tiny fraction of the original large firm graduates will make partner and eventually earn a seven figure salary; the rest will have moved on to in-house positions, government, or small firms where their earning potential will be capped to relatively modest, but comfortable, levels.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:33 pm

should-i-do-it wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Yeah that's pathetic girl. Are you going to end up committing suicide when you realize your jobs sucks and you're alone and miserable
MODS PLS.

what will it take for a should-i-do-it perma ban? More threads touting the holocaust? More casual racism? He adds literally nothing of value to the community and is not even mildly funny. Pure SPS.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:53 pm

should-i-do-it, much like hitler, is mostly terrible but he has some good ideas, like that one.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:03 pm

LSAC will include any classes you've ever taken for a grade, regardless of what your final institution is. Arguably, going to school where you won't be able to wrack up As is a terrible idea.

However, going to law school to get rich is also a terrible idea.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:35 pm

$160k/ year with raises every year is pretty rich, guys

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:39 pm

Cicero76 wrote:$160k/ year with raises every year is pretty rich, guys
definitely. that represents a tiny proportion of the profession, though, and the majority of people who get there leave right away.

lmitchell11

New

Post by lmitchell11 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:44 pm

Right??? 160K sounds just fine to me. I'm from Oklahoma and I'm NA so most people in my situation are lucky if they ever clear 60K in their whole life, in any position or place.

Regardless of why I want to go to law school or how pathetic you think my life will be, what I'm reading is I should start giving a damn about my GPA, check the NA box and then write a crazy diversity statement about being 3 kinds of obscure NA that was adopted by white people, and then blanket the T-14 and start throwing up prayers?

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:46 pm

McAvoy wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:$160k/ year with raises every year is pretty rich, guys
definitely. that represents a tiny proportion of the profession, though, and the majority of people who get there leave right away.
Yeah, but people's alternate suggestion was VC, and chances of getting that seem even smaller than getting biglaw

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:50 pm

lmitchell11

New

Post by lmitchell11 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:07 pm

sublime wrote:
lmitchell11 wrote:Right??? 160K sounds just fine to me. I'm from Oklahoma and I'm NA so most people in my situation are lucky if they ever clear 60K in their whole life, in any position or place.

Regardless of why I want to go to law school or how pathetic you think my life will be, what I'm reading is I should start giving a damn about my GPA, check the NA box and then write a crazy diversity statement about being 3 kinds of obscure NA that was adopted by white people, and then blanket the T-14 and start throwing up prayers?

Are you a member of a tribe?

I am not entirely sure how it works, but I have read/heard that it is helpful.
I'm eligible to be. I can get my card this year for Cherokee, but I'm also Lakota and Choctaw. My biological paternal grandfather is rumored to be Navajo and Cherokee and I could get ahold of him for his CDIB card and be in at least with the Cherokees (which I most likely won't need because I should be in on the maternal side) but the Navajo blood quantam is too high for me, I believe. I identify as Cherokee and Choc and I've checked the box my whole life, and been involved with the Cherokees.

In other words, I can be a member but it involves dealing with my biological fuck ups so I would rather not. I will if it is absolutely necessary.

My diversity statement alone might carry me from what I've read some places. I'm not just now magically discovering this for personal benefit like Elizabeth Warren.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:09 pm

lmitchell11 wrote:Right??? 160K sounds just fine to me. I'm from Oklahoma and I'm NA so most people in my situation are lucky if they ever clear 60K in their whole life, in any position or place.

Basically, yes. Try to get your GPA up as high as possible, because unless you have some kind of retroactive withdrawal for medical reasons, the first two years are going to count even if you transfer.

I'd still urge you not to base your existence around your salary and find something else that makes you happy. Keep in mind that your priorities may shift with time. There are a ton of people who swear they never want marriage/kids in their twenties and then they end up changing their minds over time. Maybe you really will never want to get married and have a family. That's totally fine, but just know that you may end up feeling differently. Either way, try to find something outside of billing 3500 hours a year and becoming a wrecked shell of a human being that fulfills you.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:17 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Basically, yes. Try to get your GPA up as high as possible, because unless you have some kind of retroactive withdrawal for medical reasons, the first two years are going to count even if you transfer.

I'd still urge you not to base your existence around your salary and find something else that makes you happy. Keep in mind that your priorities may shift with time. There are a ton of people who swear they never want marriage/kids in their twenties and then they end up changing their minds over time. Maybe you really will never want to get married and have a family. That's totally fine, but just know that you may end up feeling differently. Either way, try to find something outside of billing 3500 hours a year and becoming a wrecked shell of a human being that fulfills you.
Cosigned all of this, and, assuming you've since stayed in Oklahoma, you're probably going to find more generally desirable people once you move to a state that is less of a raging dumpster fire :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”