LSAT Score Increase Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Grassy

New

LSAT Score Increase Addendum

Post by Grassy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:02 pm

First time poster, long time lurker!

Anyway, had a look around the forum/web, couldn't quite find anyone with a similar situation so I wanted to throw this out there.

Per the encouragement of many of the schools I am applying to, I am considering adding an addendum regarding my LSAT score increase, since it was statistically significant (155 originally, up to a 165--I realize even the higher score isn't exactly great).

Honestly, there's only one substantive way that I can justify this, and I'm not sure if it's worth including. Would love to hear some input.

I had the same trend occur with the SAT. My first score was about 1900 and the second 2100. While I realize that my SAT scores skew better than my LSAT scores, I was thinking that this might set a precedence for at least weighing my second 165 LSAT score more heavily than my 155 (as opposed to averaging them together). In both cases of the SAT and the LSAT, my number of correct answers increased by about 12% the second time around.

Further, between my two SAT scores, the second by itself was a better predictor of my success in college. I went from being in the 87th percentile the first SAT to the 96th percentile the second SAT. For my class rank, I was in the top 5% of my class (ie right where the second SAT predicted).

So, my rationale here would be that the 162 (85th percentile) is likely a much better predictor of rank in law school. I tend to choke on standardized tests the first time around.

Do you guys think this is worth adding to my applications or is this drawing too much attention to something negative/not very convincing?

McAvoy

Gold

Re: LSAT Score Increase Addendum

Post by McAvoy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:18 pm

welcome to tls

do not do this

retake

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:45 pm

Can you please clarify if your second score was a 162 or a 165?
Also, the reasoning you're giving about the higher score being a better predictor of performance is certainly rational, but definitely not addendum-worthy. Adcoms don't need to be reminded that standardized tests measure the taker's abilities.

Schools will consider your higher score.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:58 pm

10 point increase wow

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:00 am

Good job on the increase but I wouldn't add an addendum. Even if you felt compelled to: maybe 2-3 sentences max.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am

ETA:

do not go to law school

there are no jobs

you will die alone

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:28 am

If you do not go to any of the T14 on a full ride you will automatically get late stage terminal cancer.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:02 pm

And if you do get T14 fully you'll become a raging alcoholic who eventually dies in a ditch from a glue sniffing overdose

Long_Time_Lurker

New

Post by Long_Time_Lurker » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Grassy wrote:First time poster, long time lurker!

Anyway, had a look around the forum/web, couldn't quite find anyone with a similar situation so I wanted to throw this out there.

Per the encouragement of many of the schools I am applying to, I am considering adding an addendum regarding my LSAT score increase, since it was statistically significant (155 originally, up to a 165--I realize even the higher score isn't exactly great).

Honestly, there's only one substantive way that I can justify this, and I'm not sure if it's worth including. Would love to hear some input.

I had the same trend occur with the SAT. My first score was about 1900 and the second 2100. While I realize that my SAT scores skew better than my LSAT scores, I was thinking that this might set a precedence for at least weighing my second 165 LSAT score more heavily than my 155 (as opposed to averaging them together). In both cases of the SAT and the LSAT, my number of correct answers increased by about 12% the second time around.

Further, between my two SAT scores, the second by itself was a better predictor of my success in college. I went from being in the 87th percentile the first SAT to the 96th percentile the second SAT. For my class rank, I was in the top 5% of my class (ie right where the second SAT predicted).

So, my rationale here would be that the 162 (85th percentile) is likely a much better predictor of rank in law school. I tend to choke on standardized tests the first time around.

Do you guys think this is worth adding to my applications or is this drawing too much attention to something negative/not very convincing?

I'll try to help a bit. Where did that 162 come from though? I thought it was 155 to 165? Anyway, if you're applying to schools that specifically request an addendum for LSAT score increases of a certain number of points or more, you should probably send one. Definitely don't write the addendum with your reasoning here though. I've taken the LSAT and SAT each more than once as well, but your reasoning here is basically screaming "I have a history of needing second chances on tests". Own up to your mistake of a lower score the first time. If you mention the SAT in your addendum, you are doing it wrong. Reflect on your two test scores honestly. Do you really believe that the only reason your score went up 10 (or 7?) points, a percentile jump of about 28 (or 22?), was because you are better at tests the second time you take them? When did you take each of these tests? I could maybe see it if these scores were on like Oct/Dec Exams, but if there's any significant amount of time between your two tests, you obviously did something differently. That something is what you should focus on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grassy

New

Post by Grassy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Dirigo wrote:Can you please clarify if your second score was a 162 or a 165?
Also, the reasoning you're giving about the higher score being a better predictor of performance is certainly rational, but definitely not addendum-worthy. Adcoms don't need to be reminded that standardized tests measure the taker's abilities.

Schools will consider your higher score.
Sorry, 165. Thanks for the input.
That's what I was leaning toward but it just bothers me that a lot of schools "encourage" it if it's higher than, say, 5 points or whatnot.
Long_Time_Lurker wrote: I'll try to help a bit. Where did that 162 come from though? I thought it was 155 to 165? Anyway, if you're applying to schools that specifically request an addendum for LSAT score increases of a certain number of points or more, you should probably send one. Definitely don't write the addendum with your reasoning here though. I've taken the LSAT and SAT each more than once as well, but your reasoning here is basically screaming "I have a history of needing second chances on tests". Own up to your mistake of a lower score the first time. If you mention the SAT in your addendum, you are doing it wrong. Reflect on your two test scores honestly. Do you really believe that the only reason your score went up 10 (or 7?) points, a percentile jump of about 28 (or 22?), was because you are better at tests the second time you take them? When did you take each of these tests? I could maybe see it if these scores were on like Oct/Dec Exams, but if there's any significant amount of time between your two tests, you obviously did something differently. That something is what you should focus on.
Ahaha, nice username.

I see what you're saying here but I feel like it would be a bit disingenuous to focus on the difference in approaching my study.
There was an 8 month time gap between the two tests but I honestly didn't change my method at all. I wouldn't say I felt more prepared the second time so much as I just felt more relaxed.

I choked the first time, mind went blank, but managed to get myself out of it. Didn't think it affected me enough that it would hurt my score that much and regretted not canceling the score in hindsight.
I should say that the second score was much closer to where I was tracking in practice exams.

DetroitRed

Bronze

Post by DetroitRed » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Fwiw, some schools really do want addenda for LSAT increases. The head of recruitment at Yale said that an increase of 6+ points should be explained by an addendum, assuming there's some explanation other than studying harder.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:01 pm

DetroitRed wrote:Fwiw, some schools really do want addenda for LSAT increases. The head of recruitment at Yale said that an increase of 6+ points should be explained by an addendum, assuming there's some explanation other than studying harder.
well right but op's idea for an addendum is really silly

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”