Duke Personal Statement Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
february1

New

Duke Personal Statement Question

Post by february1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:45 pm

The prompt for the Duke law school reads:

You must submit a personal statement with your application. This is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the admissions committee. Include (1) what you think have been your significant personal experiences beyond what may be reflected in your academic transcripts and on your résumé, and (2) your personal and career ambitions. There is no required length or page limit. The personal statement must be your own work. This means the ideas and the expressions originated with you, and you wrote all drafts and the final product. It does not preclude asking family members, friends, pre-law advisors, and others for proofreading assistance or general feedback.

This seems more specific than most of the PS prompts I've seen...have you all applying to multiple schools been writing a completely different personal statement for Duke, or changing your main PS? I'd happily do that, but I'm happy with my main PS right now..

Ramius

Gold

Re: Duke Personal Statement Question

Post by Ramius » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:59 pm

You can go with standard, shouldn't hurt you.

Hank Rearden

New

Post by Hank Rearden » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:12 pm

FWIW, I'm a 1L at Duke and my PS was the same as my others, although it did address the prompt accurately.

From what I remember last cycle, Duke likes a "Why Duke" statement more than a personalized PS, so your time would probably be better spent working on one of those.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Hank Rearden wrote:
From what I remember last cycle, Duke likes a "Why Duke" statement more than a personalized PS, so your time would probably be better spent working on one of those.
This is the right call I think. I had the same thought as OP when I read the PS prompt, but decided to do a Why Duke and cover my ambitions there, which I think still satisfies what they're looking for, especially when you look at the text on the Optional Essay I page:

"You are welcome to supplement your personal statement with either or both optional essays. (If your personal statement addresses either of these subjects, it is not necessary to provide a separate additional essay.)

Optional Essay 1: You may submit an essay providing additional information about why you have chosen to apply to law school in general and Duke in particular. We are interested in the factors that have prompted your interest in a legal career and the ways in which you think Duke can further that interest."

(Emphasis added)

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:54 pm

Definitely do the essays and show genuine interest. I was above both 75%iles and got WL'ed --> Accepted. After talking to admissions, turns out my weak personal statement made them more seriously consider my candidacy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hank Rearden

New

Post by Hank Rearden » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:55 pm

FlowBro wrote:Definitely do the essays and show genuine interest. I was above both 75%iles and got WL'ed --> Accepted. After talking to admissions, turns out my weak personal statement made them more seriously consider my candidacy.
I was a severe splitter (<25 GPA, >75 LSAT) and was accepted in a reasonable time. Admissions and other current students at ASW said Why X is important to Duke

Edit: On Why X, you only need about 1 page of solid info (programs you're interested in that are unique to Duke, personal fit reasons, etc). Don't be wordy.

PowerHungry

New

Post by PowerHungry » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:24 pm

I just finished my "Why Duke?".

It's roughly 200 words of "Why Law?" mixed with 300 words of "Why Duke?". I'm unhappy with my regular personal statement as I feel no matter which draft I choose it's either too resume-heavy/bio-heavy or too free-wheelin' and barely relevant to law, so that might account for my 500 word total.

Anyway, I'm between >25 and <50 on both GPA and LSAT, so I don't figure my odds are strong.

Anyone want to rip apart my "Why Duke?" in PM?

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Post removed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”